• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Keyboard not responding

mahers

Android Expert
Apr 2, 2010
Concord, CA
Ok, so my wife insisted on a phone with a physical keyboard so I got her the Strat 2. She likes it and it's pretty smooth, but lately, the keyboard doesn't respond. The default keyboard is set to SwiftKey, which I love on my Razr Maxx. Even if she switches from the virtual one to the physical one, nothing responds. She types, but nothing appears in the text box. I turned off SwiftKey and made the stock keyboard the default, but it still won't work. A reset will only work temporarily, but that's annoying to do all the time. (On a side note, despite her demand for the physical keyboard, she rarely uses it! Go figure.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a fix?

Ok, so my wife insisted on a phone with a physical keyboard so I got her the Strat 2. She likes it and it's pretty smooth, but lately, the keyboard doesn't respond. The default keyboard is set to SwiftKey, which I love on my Razr Maxx. Even if she switches from the virtual one to the physical one, nothing responds. She types, but nothing appears in the text box. I turned off SwiftKey and made the stock keyboard the default, but it still won't work. A reset will only work temporarily, but that's annoying to do all the time. (On a side note, despite her demand for the physical keyboard, she rarely uses it! Go figure.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a fix?

Hardware: Does the keyboard light up when you slide it open? If not, there may be a loose cable inside the phone, which should be an easy replacement from Verizon.

Software: When you say "reset," do you mean restarting the phone or a factory data reset? If you haven't done a factory reset, back up any data (I use MyBackup from the Play Store - http://goo.gl/BUIw4 - and even paid for the full version ;) ) then try that first. If the keyboard still doesn't respond, I'd take it back to Verizon, demonstrate the issue, and tell them what you've done to attempt a fix.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones