1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Keyboard Recommendations

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by zmauls, Dec 22, 2012.

  1. zmauls

    zmauls Newbie
    Thread Starter

    Let's face it, the stock HTC keyboard sucks. I have an HTC Evo V 4G and I grew sick of the unreliable and otherwise unintelligent predictions of the stock keyboard, as well as its unresponsiveness. I'm now using GOKeyboard, which I like for the most part, but the little bar between the text box and the keyboard pisses me off and I can't figure out how to get rid of it (if it's even possible). Any recommendations for a smart, reactive and responsive keyboard? I do not mind spending a few dollars if I will never have to deal with keyboard problems again. Thank you.

    1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!


  2. stedman420

    stedman420 Guest

    Have you tried hacker's keyboard? It's my fav. Or if you want something fancier try the TouchPal keyboard it seems pretty nice. Oh and both are free on google play.

    Hope this helps :)
  3. KageBeast

    KageBeast Android Expert

    The only keyboard app I use is swiftkey . Very responsive and the predictions are always spot on.
  4. gtbarry

    gtbarry Android Expert

    Two recommendations:

    Swiping gesture keyboard: (beta.swype.com)
    swype is one of the original and still the best at swiping keyboards. Very accurate compared to others, voice-to-text works well - as does word predictions and the ability to edit the user dictionary. I have tried touchpal and SlideIT also in this category.

    Swiping or tapping: (SwiftKey - The best-selling Android app of 2012)
    There's a reason why swiftkey is always ranked #1 in paid apps in the Play store. As I type it is on sale for $2 instead of the usual $4. It now has a "Flow" beta version which is its competitor version to swype and will be integrated with the regular product once the beta is over. It has really really good to great word prediction and excellent voice-to-text. It is also very good at accuracy of keystrokes/sliding.
  5. rudymill

    rudymill Newbie

    I used Hacker and Swift Key. While Hacker has much more customization, I chose Swift Key because of it's word predictions. And if you're retyping a phrase, the whole thing pops up in the predictions.
  6. zmauls

    zmauls Newbie
    Thread Starter

    Downloaded swift key and really like the accuracy and simplicity. Predictions are also spot on 99% of the time, and the other 1% is because the words aren't in the dictionary (yet). One problem, swiping isn't working. How do I fix this? I can't seem to find it in the settings.
  7. gtbarry

    gtbarry Android Expert

    Swiftkey Flow is still in beta. You download it as a separate app for now. Once Flow is released it will be an option with regular SwiftKey.

    SwiftKey Flow Beta Available for Download
  8. Jesl4n

    Jesl4n Lurker

    My vote to Swift key!!
  9. RebeccaMI

    RebeccaMI Newbie

    Forgive me if this is a silly question, buuut...

    If I buy SwiftKey (it's on sale for $1.99 so I think I might) now, when it gets updated will that eventually include the swiping feature you mentioned? Or will I need to purchase a separate app for that?
  10. HunterBrooke

    HunterBrooke Well-Known Member

    S W Y P E. End of discussion.
  11. Supercali

    Supercali Lurker

    Keymonk keyboard is really good at swyping and gets good reviews in the web, that's how I found it.
  12. Deleted User

    Deleted User Guest

    I believe they plan on including it.

    Edited for typos
  13. Chip_365

    Chip_365 Member

    I tried the free version of Swift Key today based on recommendations here & found it to be okay. Granted I didn't use it a lot but I personally didn't see that much difference compared to my stock HTC DHD, other than, Hooray, I could get rid of the stupid Voice Icon, which I never use but now & then activate with an errant press. But what really turned me off Swift Key was that it was using 30 MB's of RAM when active, which seems like a lot, for not much difference. I don't know how to find out how much my stock keyboard uses as it isn't listed in Running Apps. There is an HTC Touch listed, but it only uses something under 2 MBs. If Swift Key were that much better or much much lighter, then I'd be more interested. I've looked at & tried a few others including the custom HTC IME Keyboard, but it crashed on me too many times. I'll try a few more just out of interest. Thanks for the recommendations.
  14. lynnwilliam

    lynnwilliam Well-Known Member

    Adaptxt app.

Share This Page