1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Keyboard/Typing Lag

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jethro, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Hi, is it common that the default keyboard and input method is a bit slow and lags pretty heavy behind typing?

It seems like the Eris can't keep up w my typing and it causes delays and issues when typing messages, etc. Not sure if its the haptic feedback or the correcting, but its frustrating at times.

Apart from that, I like the keyboard and the predictive text works well.

Anything I should try to optimize, or is this it?

Thanks.

2. imhungry114

imhungry114 Lurker

You may have too many programs running in the background. Try downloading a task manager to quit some of them. Since I have done this, my phone rarely lags.

3. swe3t23

swe3t23 Android Enthusiast

i have the same problem. I want to say before the update it wasn't laggy at all with typing

4. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

No, I keep a task manager and usually have no other apps running (or very few). It almost 'feels' like the haptic feedback can't keep up and starts getting jumbled, but that's probably just what I'm feeling.

Any other options/keyboards that would work better?

5. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Android Expert

Your phone lags because it has a 2 year old processor that is outdated. It's terrible and slow, and we are all fools for buying this phone.

;)

6. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

[​IMG]

7. Caddyman

Caddyman Android Expert

the lag you feel in the feedback is just it lagging. for lack of a better phrase is "lags in unison" so whatever is making it lag both the letter showing up and the haptic feedback of that press lag together.

bang out a quick sentence so it lags and you can watch and feel the letters popping up.

8. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

His entire post was a sarcastic rip on onion ... onion posts this crap all the time :D

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Will turning off the vibration feedback help any?

10. Needsdecaf

One must inject a little humor into life. :p

11. aleis

aleis Android Expert

GOOD ONE! :)
    just next time make sure you have the "j/k" :)

12. ttran97

ttran97 Android Enthusiast

I turned off vibration feedback for typing because I found it was slowing things down. Try it out and see the difference.

And that's one giant smilie face,big droid... :)

13. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

So does turning the haptic feedback off for typing actually help it keep up better, or do you just NOT NOTICE IT as much?? And how do you turn it off for just typing?

I do like having the feedback, though, when it's keeping up. Helps me know that I hit the keys correctly.

If this is a known issue, and people just learn to live with it, then hopefully an update in the future might make it a bit better. It's one of the only things that really frustrate me with this phone (the other being the fact that you can't feel the vibrate when the phone's on your belt).

14. ecb

ecb Guest

I have a Moto Droid, but am considering returning for a Eris. I can tell you that turning off the haptic feedback will help the lag with the keyboard. I did that on the Moto Droid and it had a big difference.

15. one1speed

one1speed Newbie

Interesting. I turned off the keyboard feedback, but in either case, have no lag in typing. I just grabbed my phone a week or so ago, but so far, it's been plenty quick.

16. Ruben

Ruben Android Expert

I am typing from the eris right now. I turned of haptic feedback, and I think that it helped a tiny bit. I see the most lag in the browser. I hope they make a fix.

17. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Well, I did end up turning off the haptic feedback for the typing, and I do think it has helped the typing. It does seem like it's keeping up now. Didn't think I'd like typing without the feedback, but I got used to it pretty quick.

I recommend trying this if it feels like the typing is really sluggish if using the haptic feedback.

18. Ruben

Ruben Android Expert

First of all, sorry about the errors.

Although the keyboard seems to be better, can anyone explain why it lags so much in the browser?

19. Needsdecaf

Depends on the site.

It lags on this site huge.

Other sites I visit, no lag.

20. ericDylan

ericDylan Android Enthusiast

i havent found the lagging in the browser to be any worse than the lagging while texting though they both do lag badly the browser doesnt seem to make it worse. even on this site

HTC Droid Eris Forum

The HTC Droid Eris release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7600 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews