1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Keyboard Won't Stay Chosen

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by PGB1213, Oct 21, 2019.

1. PGB1213

PGB1213 Member

Hi All!
    I have a ZTE Maven with Android 5.1 on AT&T.
    I picked a keyboard form the Play Store & set it as the keyboard to use. (Settings - Language & inputs)

After I re-start the phone, the keyboard being used goes back to the stock keyboard. I can re-choose the new keyboard, but another re-boot sends the stock keyboard back as the one being used. Every Time!

Thinking it may be a glitch to that particular keyboard app., I tried several keyboards. They all do the same thing.

Do you know of a setting I may have to change to let the selected keyboard remain as the default?

Thanks For Helping!
    Paul

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

ZTE may have it locked down when doing a restart. Other than rooting the device, you'll most likely have to live with it as is

PGB1213 likes this.
  3. PGB1213

PGB1213 Member

Thank You DannyDet for taking time to reply.
    One detail I forgot to mention was that I had to do a factory reset on the phone and the keyboard I used to use isn't available any more, so these are new downloads.
    The old keyboard (before the reset) would, indeed, stay selected.
    I wonder if I just got several non-compatible keyboards.

Thanks Again for taking time to reply,
    Paul

4. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Keep in mind a factory reset will set the phone to its factory settings, you would lose everything you had installed. You would have to reinstall or install a keyboard of your own choosing.

PGB1213 and GameTheory like this.
  5. PGB1213

PGB1213 Member

Keep in mind a factory reset will set the phone to its factory settings, you would lose everything you had installed. You would have to reinstall or install a keyboard of your own choosing.

That's the goofy part- I had already re-installed apps. Before the nuke-and-pave, the aftermarket keyboard would stay selected. Now, no keyboard stays selected after a re-start. it always goes back to the Google keyboard.
    I looked in App Manager to see if I could disable the stock keyboard, but it is not on the list.

6. GameTheory

GameTheory Android Expert

There's some general instructions in this link to set a default third party keyboard for most android versions.
    "Your experience may be slightly different, but the general steps still apply."

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-set-default-keyboard-your-android-phone

PGB1213 and Dannydet like this.
  7. PGB1213

PGB1213 Member

Thank You Game Theory for the link. The directions are quite clear. I'll save them so when next I have to do this, I won't have to fumble around!

I think I figured out the de-selecting problem. (Key words are "I Think".)
    When I moved a keyboard from SD card storage to Phone storage, it seems to stay selected. Well, at least so far...

Thanks Again DannyDet & Game Theory for taking your time to help me out and for the great tips!

Dannydet and GameTheory like this.