1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Keylogger/Security?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by zwcev, Jul 14, 2011.

1. zwcev

zwcev Lurker
    None

Jul 14, 2011
    Within the last week I purchased my first smartphone, and obviously first droid.

I have plenty of friends with droids, and so I listen to what they suggest; however I don't want to be too trusting.

Basically I was recommended a keyboard that was on the market long ago, taken off, and now available via purchase only. I let a friend install the keyboard (prior to him telling me that it was not on the market) and after hearing I started wondering what trouble it could actually do.

My first thought was possible keylogger, but I really do not know the likeliness of keyloggers on droids. I obviously uninstalled the app, but I'm not so sure what the next step would be.

I'm hesitant to putting much personal information into my phone to begin with, so I'm not incredibly concerned about losing anything personal. I just dislike the thought that something could still be there.

So to sum it up...should have done this sooner...

Is it possible that I got a keylogger/still have one? Are there any suggested protections - antivirus software, if you will? And I guess last question, are there any recommended swype apps/other keyboard apps? I happened to really like what he got me, but it was a little buggy and the thought of something bad happening to my brand new phone was a little troubling.

Advertisement

2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Welcome to Android forums!

Just do a factory reset (back up your data if you need to), and start over. I wouldn't worry too much.

3. zwcev

zwcev Lurker
    None

Jul 14, 2011
    Unfortunately I do have quite a bit of data already. I would hate to do a factory reset.

So there's a possibility something is still lingering?

4. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Possible, probably unlikely.

What type of data do you have? Sync contacts, calendar to Gmail. use SMS back up to save your texts.

All your pictures / video should be untoched, but good idea to copy to PC just in case.

5. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    During install, you'll be notified of the required permissions for the app. Given the nature of keyboard apps, any of them could potentially be a keylogger.

What you need to look at is whether or not the app requests any communications capabilities. Even if a keyboard app did keylog it does the malicious developer no good if the data cannot be transmitted. I mean, is the hacker going to drop by and ask to borrow the device to pull your logged keystrokes?

Search around for the thread that details the various permissions. You can't just rely on the name of a permission to understand.

6. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Do you remember the name of the keyboard app?

7. zwcev

zwcev Lurker
    None

Jul 14, 2011
    The app was called ShapeWriter maybe?

I completely trust my friend who installed it. I am positive he had no malicious intent.

My question was a bit more generic. I simply wanted to know the possibility of a keylogger on the phone and the chances of it staying (if that was one) after I uninstalled the app.

I went through the running services and didn't see anything suspicious, and I figure I was fine to begin with.

Actually, I just realized I could go through my history and find the link. I'm not sure the rules of posting links, so I'll just say it was on a "vivin" website.

And again, does anyone know the program/any recommendations for something similar to it (preferably free). It was nice while I had it, I'd just rather have it via market and would rather not have to pay.

Thanks to those who have posted.