• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keypurr Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
This appears to be something that happens only on HTC phones, and it happens to all keyboards other than the HTC Touch Input. Unfortunately it is not under our control but under HTC's. I've duplicated it on the Magic with Keypurr and other keyboards (but it's fine with HTC's own keyboard), but no such problem on the Milestone or X10.

Thanks for the reply, do you intend to find a work around for this issue on HTC devices? If not it is a deal breaker for me and I would assume for many others also. I am currently running SlideIT keyboard and I am not having this issue, I know you stated it is happening with other installed KB's but I am not seeing this.

Upvote 0
@itisjustme:

We are working on a solution to this issue that should be ready for the upcoming free upgrade. I just want to clarify that when you say "reboot" you're talking about turning off the phone with a long press on the power button?

Like I said we are working on a fix, but I'm surprised to hear that it's a dealbreaker because most users power down their phones quite infrequently.

I am and have been an ardent Swype lover and user, I have tried every keyboard out there and I always return to Swype. I am to the point where I just didn't think a better keyboard would be possible. Well Keypurr in my opinion had blown all other keyboards away including swype. My biggest issue is having to re enable Keypurr after daily bump charging but it looks like Keypurr developers are promptly working on a solution to this.

Keypurrtech, hands down the best keyboard I have used to date.

Upvote 0
There seems to be a bug with "space after candidate." If I'm typing and notice a typo, double-tap the misspelled word, type a replacement, and select the word I want from the suggestion bar, Keypurr inserts an extra space after the replacement, even though I have unchecked "space after candidate."

Upvote 0
We are aware of the issue you mention and it will be corrected in a free upgrade soon. I hope otherwise you are enjoying Keypurr.http://www.youtube.com/keypurrtech

That's good to hear; I'll look forward to the upgrade.

Overall, I like Keypurr (although I groan every time I think of the name, it's such a bad pun). It's going to be an adjustment for me; I've been using Swype/ShapeWriter/SlideIt for so long that my thumbs have gotten very uncoordinated. I think once I train them again, though, Keypurr will be fastest because of the numeric/symbolic slides on the main keypad and because prediction is much more usable with tapping than with tracing.

Best wishes for success with the product.

Upvote 0
One thought for a future feature: it would be very nice if the text in the function keys could have a few useful replaceable symbols. I currently use the Inserty app for this, but it's way overkill for my needs -- all I use it for is the date and time and a couple of fixed strings -- and it's kind of a pain to have to change the input method every time I just want to add a time stamp to my journal. If you could just add support for the date and time (in various formats, or even just in the current system setting format) in the function key inserted text, that would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Another oddity I've noticed as I've been testing Keypurr: sometimes Keypurr will get "stuck" for a couple or three seconds and I will get perhaps five keystrokes ahead of it. Then suddenly it will break loose and catch up (which is really strange to feel, since I have "vibrate on keystroke" set to "soft" -- the phone really buzzes when processing those stored-up keystrokes all at once!). I've principally noticed it after I type Shift I, although I couldn't swear that it doesn't happen at other times as well.

Upvote 0
Anything on getting it to display the word "buns." without multiple steps? Any word on getting it to accept new words, such as: kapiolani. These 2 issues caused me to unistall it. Also, though the app charge never showed up on the bank website, I was charged for it, got an email stated I had not been and I am still not able to balance - the cost of your app is what I am minus.

Upvote 0
Anything on getting it to display the word "buns." without multiple steps? Any word on getting it to accept new words, such as: kapiolani. These 2 issues caused me to unistall it. Also, though the app charge never showed up on the bank website, I was charged for it, got an email stated I had not been and I am still not able to balance - the cost of your app is what I am minus.

It's a bug that the word "buns" is not in the dictionary; I'm sure they'll fix that in the next update. However, I'll use that as an example for how to add new words to the dictionary.

What you need to do to add a new word is to type the word completely, letter-perfect, using the "slide-up" technique to get the secondary letters where necessary. In the case of "buns," you'd slide up on the "v" to get "b", then type "uns".

The exact rendition of what you have typed for the current word shows up as the leftmost thing in the suggestion bar at the top of the keyboard. If you just type "buns" normally (i.e., without the slide on "v"), for example, you'll see "vuns" at the left of the suggestion bar. Once you have the correct spelling of the word you want to add showing as the leftmost thing in the suggestion bar, you just press and hold that part of the bar for a second and you'll get a message saying that "buns" was added to the dictionary. From then on, you'll get "buns" whenever you type "vuns".

As for your credit card, I imagine that what you are seeing is the "hold" that is placed on your account as a result of tentatively purchasing the app. When you charge something, the request for authorization places a "hold" on that amount in your account. Usually within a day or two the corresponding actual charge reaches your bank and the money is transferred to the merchant's account. If the bank does not receive the actual charge for an authorization within a few days, it releases the "hold," which should make your account balance again.

Upvote 0
Another suggestion for additional features: how about slides for the function keys? Maybe sliding up on <- could be "Home" and down could be "Prev word" (control <-), while sliding up on the up-arrow could be "Beginning of document" (control Home) and down could be "Page up", etc. Also, you could have three different text strings for each function key with the "Output text" action.

Upvote 0
Relearning to thumb type hasn't been going as well as I might have hoped. This morning I was writing something and wanted to enter the phrase, "Probably not in my lifetime." The first time I typed it, it came out "Pro ablution morning my lifetime."

I tried again, this time achieving "Probably not immune life."

(I did manage to type it successfully on the third try.) No knock intended on Keypurr; it's just frustrating that after several hours of practice these are still the kinds of results I'm getting. Hopefully it will be worth the effort in the long run.

Upvote 0
One request/suggestion though, I would have liked a keyboard with black/gray buttons. I am sure I am echoing some folks out there too. Personal preference.

I don't have any strong intrinsic preference between the light and dark keyboards, except for the fact that the secondary symbols on the light keyboard are gray instead of black. Since the secondary symbols are also smaller, the combination makes them too hard to see. On the dark keyboard, the secondary symbols are the same white as the main symbols, and that's the only reason I use the dark keyboard. I'd probably have stayed with the light keyboard if the primary and secondary symbols were both black.

Upvote 0
I am using Keypurr mostly with one hand; say sitting down, holding a cup of coffee with my left hand, while holding the phone with my right and typing with my thumb.

There is no other keyboard that I have tried where you can type reliably, fast and comfortably with one hand!

One request/suggestion though, I would have liked a keyboard with black/gray buttons. I am sure I am echoing some folks out there too. Personal preference.

Very Nice, Keypurrtech!
Check out video #5 at Demonstration and instructional videos is shows how to change the keyboard color.

Watching all six videos helped get a quick understanding of the keyboard's capabilities.

Upvote 0
I picked up the new version of Keypurr this morning, but I haven't been able to find a change log for the differences between 1.0 and 1.1, neither in the settings dialog on my phone nor on your web site. In particular, you mention being able to insert date/time symbols into the function key text, but I haven't found how to do that: neither the menu key nor long-press in the text field gives a command to insert the symbol, and there are no instructions in the window text, either.

(Just a note -- while I was looking for a change log, I tapped the "Keypurr Keyboard" version number at the top of the settings dialog, and that displays the version number as "0.1beta". Thought you'd like to know.)

Upvote 0
We don't have a free trial because the current Market return policy allows users enough time to determine if a product they purchase is right for them. As you experienced, the 24hr window was more than enough time for you do fall in love with Keypurr. When that policy changes we will make sure that there is a way for users to try Keypurr at no cost.

As you will know, the return policy is now 15 minutes, so when can we expect a free trial version?

Upvote 0
In the meantime here's how you set a function key to a date/time stamp: Keypurr keyboard settings> function key definitions> action type> insert date/time.

Ah, I see. I had assumed it would be something like adding a placeholder in the text of the key that would be expanded when the text was inserted, e.g., something like

[Added at {time} on {date}.]

would get inserted into your document as

[Added at 14:22 on 2010/12/20.]

so I was looking for the syntax or the command that would insert the placeholders for the date and time.

The other thing I noticed was that the date and time formats don't match the system settings. I have my date and time settings as shown in the example above, but what I get instead from the function key is something like

Dec 20, 2010 2:22:03 PM

I would personally be satisfied with the fixed string if it matched my system settings, but I would also note that if you did adopt the more flexible symbol insertion mechanism I described above, you could also use that to specify the format to be used, e.g.,

[Added at {time=HH:mm} on {date=yyyy/mm/dd}.]

to produce the string I described, regardless of the system settings.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones