1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Kickstand charging

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Drop Knowledge, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Drop Knowledge

I've read that this is also an issue with the HTC Thunderbolt, but it is pretty annoying that you can't charge the MoPho while using the kickstand.

Seems more than just a "design flaw"...more likely that this was done intentionally to encourage users to purchase the HD dock. Kinda lame it seems, and really my only gripe w/ the Photon so far.

Are all kickstand phones designed this way?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. doneve141

doneve141 Well-Known Member

Turn the phone with the plug up. The stand works fine that way and the screen will turn as well.

Twisted Rook likes this.
  3. Drop Knowledge

It does work, but you can tell that the stand/phone weren't designed to be used w/ the phone standing up. Just a minor issue really, but it's a bit annoying that it seems this was an intentional design to choice to get people to drop another $100 on a dock.

4. BanterandRant

BanterandRant Member

Just turn the phone over - and plug in on top - works fine...

I do it every night, at least until I get a second dock for the nightstand.

[QwUOTE=Drop Knowledge;3162683]It does work, but you can tell that the stand/phone weren't designed to be used w/ the phone standing up. Just a minor issue really, but it's a bit annoying that it seems this was an intentional design to choice to get people to drop another $100 on a dock.[/QUOTE]

5. CzechPleez

CzechPleez Member

I don't disagree with you. Yes, turning the phone over DOES work and DOES allow you to charge at the same time. However, not all the menus and apps rotate properly in that orientation, so it is a little annoying at times. Not a deal breaker though.

That said I don't take issue with Moto for designing their devices in such a way that may make buying accessories more attractive (for some). It's no different than car mfrs making silly, hard-to-reach, proprietary plugs as the interface to the on board computer just to be able to read codes and make changes. Why not a standard USB port? It's another way to get $ out of the customer post sale.

6. edlex

edlex Android Expert

Netflix is one of the apps that only orientates the video to charging from the bottom. Very annoying. I wish they would let you play it from both orientations like the HBO Go app.

7. drexappeal

drexappeal Extreme Android User

The kickstand was designed to be used on either side of the phone, so when charging just flip it around to the other side. It's just as stable either way that you have the phone propped up with the kickstand out.

Motorola Photon 4G Forum

The Motorola Photon 4G release date was August 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1700mAh battery.

August 2011
Release Date
Reviews