• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Kids Android Tablet, Help!

MrsJHowell

Lurker
Nov 3, 2014
Hi, this is my first post so bare with me!
I recently bought my daughter a 7" Android Jelly Bean Tablet PC for Christmas. I've loaded it up to check everything is working and notice there are apps on there like Facebook and Whatsapp. I don't want these on there as she is only 6 so won't be needing them anytime soon! I tried to get rid of them but it says it's a Built In App?? What does is mean and does it mean I cannot get rid of it?

I'm normally quite a whiz at technical stuff but this has made my mind go blank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot that you can do with the tablet as is because Android is like that and won't let you uninstall the apps that come with the tablet. There are however, several options for you. The first and probably the easiest would be to take the tablet back and look for a "kids" tablet, which I am sure wouldn't have those "adult" apps included on them and are every much a tablet as any other, they may just have a "kiddie looking" border or color to them, but they aren't toys, they are tablets. If you root your tablet you could get rid of the apps you don't want, but that could be tricky for some one new to android and if you do it wrong you could brick the tablet and void the warranty. You might be able to find a shop close to you that would root it for you for a modest fee, as a lot of computer stores offer that service along with liberating phones and such. One last note, if you do want to root it yourself, post the brand and model of your tablet and I'm sure we can orient you to a guide on how to root that specific model as it MUST be model and make specific. Good luck, Vin.

P.S. Here is a link to a site that has a ton of kids tablets just so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about if you've never seen them before.

http://www.tinydeal.com/kids-tablet...0QnsLy4OZcVtkFx_H87ebNKCoQvlS2F2QoaAusO8P8HAQ

Reactions: MrsJHowell
Upvote 0
You could try disabling the apps. Settings > Apps > All, select the app and select "disable". The app will no longer be visible in the app drawer or on the desktop and cannot run. Of course it can be enabled equally easily if you know it's installed, but the settings menu is the only place you'll see it.

It doesn't free space, but neither does uninstalling as system apps live in a separate storage partition.

Reactions: MrsJHowell
Upvote 0
Hi, thank you both for your replies.

hiredgun - believe it or not this is a children's tablet! It's not an adult one. I used to android but obviously as I'm older I've always had a use for the apps that are built in. It is 'designed for kids' for learning etc.

Hadron - I did look at that but when I click the disable button it warns me that doing that could interfere with other apps on the tablet.

Like I said I'm normally a whiz at these things. I Have an android phone and an iPad so can work them both fine but like I said I've never had to get rid of a built in app as I've always used them

This is the tablet I bought but didn't get it from this place
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Loco-Gadgets-Tablet-Android-RK2926/dp/B00EHIK01K

Upvote 0
Hadron's suggestion of disabling them is the best bet. The warning you got is just a general warning you get when disabling any app, and disabling FB/Whatsapp shouldn't affect anything else your daughter will be using.

Alternatively you could try an app locking app which will passcode-protect any apps you choose that you don't want your daughter accessing:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.domobile.applock&hl=en

Upvote 0
Hi, thank you both for your replies.

hiredgun - believe it or not this is a children's tablet! It's not an adult one. I used to android but obviously as I'm older I've always had a use for the apps that are built in. It is 'designed for kids' for learning etc.

It's a kids tablet that came directly from China (Tiny Deal are a HK wholesaler). In the PRC they may not a good understanding of what is approprieate or suitable for a western "designed for kids" device. There are tablets, where the software has been specifically designed for minors, i.e. no Facebook, Whatsapp or Youtube.

Have a look at some of these...
10 best tablets for kids | ZDNet

Upvote 0
It's a kids tablet that came directly from China (Tiny Deal are a HK wholesaler). In the PRC they may not a good understanding of what is approprieate or suitable for a western "designed for kids" device. There are tablets, where the software has been specifically designed for minors, i.e. no Facebook, Whatsapp or Youtube.

Have a look at some of these...
10 best tablets for kids | ZDNet

That's pretty funny Mike because I have a Chinese bargain basement phatlet that actually let me uninstall all the Facebook and twitter type apps it had. It must have been even more "pirate" than usual because it didn't even have the Play Store or Amazon, lol. But I totally understand where their views on what is suitable for kids would be different for the Western world.

Good Luck MrsJHowell, don't want anyone to Grinch your kids Christmas!!! Lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones