• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Kies Bricked my phone!!

ch229151

Nov 11, 2011
I went to upgrade my unrooted, totally stock Gs2 this morning to ICS via Kies. It downloaded the actual firmware to the PC, but froze on 2% for about 2 hours when upgrading the firmware to the phone

I unplugged it, and when I tried to turn the phone on in recovery mode, it simply went to a screen that says "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Select Recovery mode in Kies and try again". I can't get out of this screen, and when I attempt to recover in Kies, it stays at 0%...HELP!!!!

Btw- The samsung rep I spoke to on Livechat said he had no information about the ICS update and refused to acknowledge it's release.

Am I totally out of luck, or is there a way to save my phone?

My ICS update froze at 90%. I had to unplug it and it wouldn't go past 1% during emergency recovery mode. I spent a lot of time searching forums without much luck. I ended up getting it to work on a different computer on the first try. I lost all my data, but that's what I get for trying to force the ICS update.

You might try to uninstall Kies and your phone drivers, then reinstall and retry the update. Or try a different computer. I started on a Windows 7 64 bit and moved to a Vista 32 bit.

Good Luck.

Upvote 0
My ICS firmware update (via Kies) froze at 27% for about 30 minutes, and I had to leave for class. I got back over 2 hours later, and it's still stuck at 27%. Awesome! I'm about to unplug it, but we all know how well that goes. There's a tropical storm going on right now, so I guess I'm going to go the Odin route as opposed to the AT&T store route.

Upvote 0
I seem to have remedied the problem. Both the firmware update and multiple attempts to run emergency firmware recovery failed when the USB cable was plugged into a case USB port (which is certainly USB 2.0, as I just upgraded both my case and motherboard.) This was the problem. I plugged the USB cable directly into a motherboard USB port, and the emergency recovery went through fine. I am now running 4.0.3 without a hitch.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones