• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Kies doesn't recognize captivate in Kies mode

dee2good

Lurker
Nov 30, 2010
WTF

So I'm trying to update my firmware, ota doesnt work, every time I try to connect no matter how many bars I have it says cant connect to server. So I downloaded all the lastest drives, have tried both Kies and Kies mini, when I tried Kies mini I made sure regular Kies was unistalled, anyway on both versions Kies will recognize my phone in every single usb mode except Kies mode. It won't let me do anything, but it will at least recognize the phone is connected and tell me to reconnect in Kies mode. I do that, and nothing. I have full access to copy and paste anything from my computer to my phone in any mode, but Kies will not recognize my phone in Kies mode. I have windows 7 32 bit. Help?

WTF

So I'm trying to update my firmware, ota doesnt work, every time I try to connect no matter how many bars I have it says cant connect to server. So I downloaded all the lastest drives, have tried both Kies and Kies mini, when I tried Kies mini I made sure regular Kies was unistalled, anyway on both versions Kies will recognize my phone in every single usb mode except Kies mode. It won't let me do anything, but it will at least recognize the phone is connected and tell me to reconnect in Kies mode. I do that, and nothing. I have full access to copy and paste anything from my computer to my phone in any mode, but Kies will not recognize my phone in Kies mode. I have windows 7 32 bit. Help?

Yessss! I figured it out. what did I do?

I uninstalled and reinstalled kies mini

I connected my captivate via usb cord in samsung kies mode while the phone was fully charged and then opened samsung kies. this didnt work, so I did it about 50 more times under identical settings.

I connected my captivate via usb cord in samsung kies mode while the phone was fully charged and then opened samsung kies. this didnt work, so I did it about 50 more times under identical settings.

then kies worked but said it couldnt access the internet

on try 51 it worked. All of this took about 1 month. but i got the update, seriously.

Reactions: timbuk2
Upvote 0
Odin3 screwed up lots of stuff, including kies mode(firmware update) but if I make my phone automatically choose Kies it works, although kies still doesn't recognize my phone. I'm just going to keep trying unplugging it and etc etc until it does. It also updated my phone to a version that has no android keyboard. But what I've noticed is that odin 3 is pretty much something that is a last resort for a bricked phone. Kinda think I should have done my research on what it was for before I tried getting gingerbread for my phone via odin3. I'm guessing that everyone else who is having the same problem has probably had odin 3 updates installed to their phone.

If anyone can give me a method of flashing my phone back to the REAL stock version I would be greatly appreciative for this!

So am I right? did you update using Odin 3 before having this error?:thinking:

Upvote 0
Hi there, im new to this sorry. I was trying to find someway of stopping the multiple texts on my phone < samsung galaxy GT-15500 > i connected the phone to my laptop it asked what to use and i clicked kies. I now cannot transfer photos and music back and forth to pc and phone and dont know what to do now. Can anyone help me?? Ive looked in about everything on the phone to find anything that says kies :0((
ty sands :0))

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
tried it about 20 times, then i decided to use the debug mode and also kill all other apps and voila, it worked

Damn! I am going to have to try this when I get home. You turned Debugging mode on? (ROOTED DEVICE).

Rooted Devices could be the issue? With Debugging on, would it even connect to Kies?
I'll try and report. Because I am now having the same issue. The Time has come to update to 2.3.3 - My computer recognizes my phone, Kies does not. The pricks!

Upvote 0
I am having the same problem with the computer recognizing my phone but not kies mini. but also the phone is not recognizing my sim card is anyone else having this issue? I called samsung support and they told me (after trying a hard reboot) to find an AT&T store in my area that can do a software flash .... none of them seem to even know what I am talking about!

Upvote 0
Yessss! I figured it out. what did I do?

then kies worked but said it couldnt access the internet

on try 51 it worked. All of this took about 1 month. but i got the update, seriously.

Thank you for a little humor, it's a very frustrating experience and it seems that the people who make the money off of it could care less.

Upvote 0
Being very new I have read most of the problems in threads connected with getting phone lists from your old to your new mobile.

Main categories of problems:

1. The Samsung Kies takes a lot of flak,
2. The Sim cards are not read in the new phone,
3. and of course get your phone list into gmail

1 and 2 are data transfer issues
3 Is more subtle, as using gmail as the transfer medium means that you have give for free a list of names with phones... great for net selling... to who?

To avoid three, I did the following.
I exported my LG supernova phone list to OpenOffice spreadsheet application.
Then I imported the data as an comma delimited CSV file, old but a basic data transfer format.

As I said most peoples phones have fields on peoples foibles as well as just NAME and PHONE.

The imported data in the spread sheet is very easy to handle for the weeding out of "private" fields.

For example, I had about 10 fields so I named my spread sheet, Phonefull and then after saving, saved as Phonelite

Then I could savage unwanted columns leaving just NAME and PHONE.

This is when I struggled a little to get a USB connection between PC and mobile, but finally they were happy together.

(When they were not speaking to each other some options like IMPORT were not available and I couldn't get the phone list into the KIES application)

So Now I could use KIES import and passed the diet CSV to the KIES application.

Final step was no longer an issue and the mobile and Kies Name and Phone fields can be passed smoothly from PC to Mobile.

The sync process was fast ( compared to LG PC suite ).

Also I could now make a safety back up .. just in case.:)

I note. gmail was not need in getting the phone book from A to B.

Bye
Fred

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones