• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Kies not recognising Galaxy S2

ChunkyMunky

Mar 31, 2012
Trying to connect my S2 to Kies via a USB cable, but it won't recognise it at all, doesn't even give an error message. If I turn off USB debugging, on my S2 I get "MTP connected", but still nothing on my Mac, when I turn on USB debugging, I don't get anything on my phone or Mac. I've tried different usb ports, different usb cables, nothing. Any suggetions?

I have the same issue Kies not "seeing" my S2 so I rang Samsung TS and they suggested sending my S2 away for "repair" because it's a phone software issue.

I'm really not that bothered about Kies as I find it a terrible piece of software but just wondered if there was another way to up day to ICS when or if I wanted to and they said that you cannot update to ICS OTA and you have to use Kies via a USB connection so as I cannot connect to Kies via a USB lead I won't be able to update to ICS!!

BTW what's the difference between 'firmware' and 'software'?

Thanks

Upvote 0
i am also experiencing this problem and I have exhausted all forums and suggestions but nothing really worked. I love samsung. I have samsung s2 and galaxy tab 10.1. But android is not Mac-friendly! This is really very frustrating. I can't understand why samsung can't do something about this problem. Very, very frustrating. :( :( :(

Upvote 0
Ok, I have managed to update to ICS from a Mac now; after endless playing around with both, my Mac and the SGS2.
However, it worked for me with the latest Kies version:

*Turn off your Mac and reboot without any USB devices connected; don't start any programs or do anything yet.
*Turn off the Galaxy S2 and let it fully reboot
*Plug in the SG2 and wait until it says MTP connection established
*Open Kies and pray + follow the instructions on screen

+ Only perform the update with a fully loaded battery, otherwise Kies won't perform the update and keep reminding you to reload your battery instead.

Btw, I wrote an (civilised mannered) personal e-mail to the Samsung Customer Service complaining about all these issues which unfortunately damper the awesomeness of the handheld itself.

all the best,
Luke

Upvote 0
Hello,

New here and first post with what seems to be a common problem.

I have a new S2, it is running ICS, got a notification that there is a software upgrade which was successfully downloaded wirelessly, however I would like to back up contacts etc incase things go wrong with the update.

I cannot however connect to Keis via USB, am trying to connect to a PC running Win 7 (work PC on work network)...help please.

Have tried most of the above and am using a Samsung original lead.

Keis recognises that there is a device and starts connecting but then stops at this point seemingly indefinately.

Cheers

James

Upvote 0
Same problem here (Windows XP, it's not only Macs). Since the OTA upgrade to ICS, I can't connect as a MTP device, and Kies does not "see" my S2. This happens as well on my computer at the office, which is XP too. It used to work flawlessly on Gingerbread on both computers.

I don't care about Kies, but I would love to connect as MTP device.

For those who just want to transfer files to their handset: try Settings, Wireless and network, More, USB utilities. There you can use the S2 as a USB flash drive. This is the only thing that actually works for me.

Upvote 0
I was just wondering.... Why all of a sudden many users of SGS II encountered this error of SGS II smartphone..we all have the same problems.. Ive read so many threads about this problem but nothing seems to work.. I also encountered a forum saying that maybe its a hardware problem in our SGS II.. For me i refuse to believe that.. I think the problem is the SAMSUNG KIES software itself( latest version 2.3.2.12064) not able to detect SGS II but able to detect my SGS III. For me its the software compatibility between the SGS II itself and the SAMSUNG KIES(latest version) .. If anyone would find a permanent solution to our problems pls help us.......please...

Upvote 0
Hello,

New here and first post with what seems to be a common problem.

I have a new S2, it is running ICS, got a notification that there is a software upgrade which was successfully downloaded wirelessly, however I would like to back up contacts etc incase things go wrong with the update.

I cannot however connect to Keis via USB, am trying to connect to a PC running Win 7 (work PC on work network)...help please.

Have tried most of the above and am using a Samsung original lead.

Keis recognises that there is a device and starts connecting but then stops at this point seemingly indefinately.

Cheers

James

may i just ask when did u purchase your SGSII since u said it was new... becasue my SGS II is slmost a year and we have the same problem.. the thing i see here is we have the same problem whether the SGS II is new nor not that new... same problem connecting to KIES or to a PC...

Upvote 0
HI all. Ok I've tried every possible solution out there and does not work.

I try use old version of Kies I try new one, I try both on my PC & Laptop and I have the exact same problem.

I bought my Samsung in march 2012, and I am very happy. First time I plug in (right after I open the box) I install Kies, and my phone was recognized and work great. I sync my contacts with out look file and everything work like charm. Now few month later I update to ICS directly from my device . Just 30 min later I decide to remove this awful software update and restore to my original Gingerbread version. I restore with some software Odin. And put some old loader stuff, and official Gingerbread 2.3.4 (not sure if this is my original version that came with my SGSII :( :( :( :( )

Now Kies can't connect with my SGSII . I try every possible solution.
I am under WinXP SP3 , installed just two months ago (relativity fresh) .

Please some help because this is highly irritating.
1. Official Android 4.0 for SGSII suck . My SGSII begin to lag, apps working with terrible latency , scrolling between home screens was terrible etc. etc.
2. On top of that, I LOST all my CONTACTS, APPS and everything that I can think off :( :( :( :(
3. I can't restore nothing and i feel completely screwed up.
Some need to give serious solution here.

Upvote 0
Hey people.... I just wanna share this because i recently sent an email to samsung about this software compatibility between our SGS II and the latest version of KIES and this is their reply to my email:

Dear Ador Eligio,

Thank you for contacting Samsung; we appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

We are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. Thank you for giving us a feedback about the problem you are encountering with Samsung Kies. We will forward your email to our HHP Development Team in order for them to fix the bugs on the latest version of Samsung Kies so you will not experience any problems. We will do our best to give our customers great satisfaction to our products and services.

Please feel free to visit our support website often at Samsung for frequently asked questions, service location and repair self tracking.

If a question arises, do not hesitate to call us on 1-800-10-7267864 (1800-10-SAMSUNG) or you may write us again. We will be glad to be at your service.

Sincerely,
Samsung Electronics Corp.
Online Support

***in other words they admitted that the KIES itself has bugs that is stopping our SGS II from detecting it by our PC or KIES....*** so now i can say that our problem is not the phone... the problem is KIES...

Upvote 0
Trying to connect my S2 to Kies via a USB cable, but it won't recognise it at all, doesn't even give an error message. If I turn off USB debugging, on my S2 I get "MTP connected", but still nothing on my Mac, when I turn on USB debugging, I don't get anything on my phone or Mac. I've tried different usb ports, different usb cables, nothing. Any suggetions?
If you get "failed to retrieve device information" error MSG then remove your sim card and reconnect. I had this problem after updating from Gb to ICS. After updating to ICS, kies refuse to connect until I removed the sim card. It works and I'm looking forward to jb updates.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones