1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Kies Update, Clock bug & Push Notifications

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cozins17, Jul 9, 2011.

1. cozins17

cozins17 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Dorset, UK
    Hi all, hope I've posted this in the right place.

Build XWKE1
    Baseband XXKE4

Can anyone tell me why when I try to update my phone through Kies it says "Device cannot be updated"? I had a message via staus bar on computer saying phone update available, etc but when connected to pc cannot find way to update.

I have had GS2 since April and am sure it use to get push notifications, i.e. messages/requests from Facebook, app updates from market, Livescores, etc but I've noticed the last few weeks that I don't really get anything.

Also, the last week or so I've noticed that the Digital Clock widget on homescreen keeps 'freezing'. Not at any particular time but it just doesn't keep up with current time. I remember having pretty similar problem with previous phone, HTC Desire, and can't remember the fix. For example, I woke at about 9 this morning but my phone was displaying 23:04 (strangely the alarm seems to work OK).

Any help or advice on any of these would be much appreciated, my GS2 is unrooted.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. geekaren

geekaren Member
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    I can help with the Kies update question (sort of :)

Most SGS2 users don't use Kies to update their firmware but rather a software called "Odin" + official firmwares available on xda-developers.com:
    [ROM + Guide]Official i9100 KE7/KE8/KF1/KF3/KF4/KF2/KF3 download and Root Guide. - xda-developers

There are instructions provided in 1st post of linked thread about how to flash using Odin. You can go 1 step further and root, but I've found installing new firmwares just as useful. I don't think flashing this firmware will wipe your device but you should backup your data just in case!

I had XXKF2 installed for quite a while and it's a great firmware -- good battery life and not buggy.

cozins17 likes this.
  3. cozins17

cozins17 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Dorset, UK
    Thanks for that - looks bit technical for me but I'm giving it a go! not worried about the rooting part but if the update part works it'll save messing around with Kies!