1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Kies vs. SyncToy?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dread Polack, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Dread Polack

Dread Polack Lurker

So, I've played around a bit with Kies, and it doesn't seem to work the way I want it to. Maybe I need more time to use it, but it also keeps locking up on me and I have to end task on it, so it's kind of frustrating.

Podcasts:
    I subscribe to several podcasts via iTunes. I successfully copied one over via Kies, but when I tried to get all of my podcasts listed in Kies by porting them over from iTunes, it locked up. After I restarted the program, it only added the ones that currently had episodes on the HD. When I tried searching for them in Kies so I could subscribe, I couldn't find any. Not even Wait Wait.. Don't Tell Me!, which is a very popular podcast. Then, when I tried to add the podcast's website, it locked up again and won't let me delete it from the list while it tries to find it. Finally, I noticed that with the successful podcasts, it actually created *copies* of the mp3 files in a separate folder, so if I want all my podcasts on my phone (at least by using kies) I have to have 2 copies of all my podcasts - 16 gb worth. That's just plain annoying.

Does it do the same thing with music files? Am I being forced to use Kies over iTunes?

Anyone got any tips on how to work with kies?

SyncToy:With my Samsung Captivate, I used Microsoft SyncToy to synchronize all my podcasts from my PC to my phone's SD Card. Now I'm noticing that SyncToy won't let me do this. Any ideas why?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dread Polack

Dread Polack Lurker

In fact, the music player isn't recognizing any files dragged & dropped onto my phone or SD card. It looks like it is trying to force me to use Kies. This is why I chose Android over Apple. Am I doing something wrong?

Update: Okay, fiddled around a bit, and it seems to work now that I put it into a folder called "Music". First it didn't recognize the music. Then, I had to drag my "Podcast" folder into my "Music" folder.

I notice the default Music Player doesn't keep podcasts separate from music, like my old iPod touch did. Anyone suggest an app for this?

3. Hogan773

Hogan773 Android Enthusiast

I haven't used Kies but I went straight onto AirDroid which is a pretty sweet app that allows you to wirelessly access your phone from your PC, and then move things on an off, etc. I think it does what Kies is supposed to do, although from the reviews I read it seems to do them better.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews