1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Kies

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tismeinnit, Aug 14, 2012.

1. tismeinnit

tismeinnit Lurker

Hi Guys,

I got galaxy ace a couple of days ago and because the guide that came with it was soooooooooo small, I found and printed of the user manual all :eek: 184 pages! At the end it says to install Kies from samsung website. Can any tell me if I need it and what it's for please?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. socrates0

socrates0 Android Enthusiast

3. ayush29k

ayush29k Android Expert

Be careful when using Kies to update your software, if it crashes between the update process, it would brick your phone. A lot of people have reported Kies bricking their phones in the past, the samsung service center would repair the damage if warranty holds but you will loose the phone data.

Don't think i am trying to scare you from Kies, it does works perfectly for many people, i am just telling you to be extremely cautious when using it for update.
    Just make sure you have lots of ram and nothing interferes with Kies during the update.

4. sidthesloth

sidthesloth Newbie

This sounds rather scary, thought being manufacturer specific it would be safe.
    I have the Galaxy Ace GT-S5830T Android version 2.3.4, baseband version S5830TDVKQ3, kernel version 2.6.35.7-perf-CL582397 build number GINGERBREAD.DVKQ3
    Would this be worth updating? Though I only bought the phone a couple of months ago, I think they are old now?
    Cheers,
    Sid.

5. ayush29k

ayush29k Android Expert

I am just sharing the reviews i have been reading since i started in these forums last year, there were many people who complained of Kies crashing in the process and they were unable to turn their phones on afterwards.
    The service center guys said that it was mostly due to low ram availability, however since this is samsung's software they will definately fix the phone in case of any damage.

But like any other software, there are still a majority of people who have successfully updated through Kies, and there are many who use it for everyday functions, syncing, making backups etc. You should go ahead with the Kies, but just make sure you have a good ram, at least more than 1gb available, and no power loss should occur during the process.
    I could never use Kies due to some weird connection issues between my phone and my PC, can't even use it in mass storage mode. The only time i updated was through Odin, i felt it was safer, but thats just my personal views.

6. tismeinnit

tismeinnit Lurker

Thanks Guy's

Glad I asked, I wont be using it.

Samsung Galaxy Ace Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Ace release date was February 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 5MP camera, 278GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1350mAh battery.

February 2011
Release Date
Reviews