1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Kill Alert Sound

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pharla, Dec 29, 2012.

1. pharla

pharla Newbie

I have sorted custom sounds for alerts, SMS etc., but I now want to know how to stop them before they complete. For example, say my sms alert sound is 15 seconds long and I happen to have the phone in my hand at the time it goes off, but am unable to check the message immediately, I would like the ability to say touch the power button and stop it playing.

Any possible solution for this?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Heisenberg123

Heisenberg123 Android Enthusiast

did you try volume down or sleep/power buttons?

pharla likes this.
  3. pharla

pharla Newbie

I had, but I did double check as the case I use makes it difficult for instant access to the volume button.

I do hate to say this, but as a comparison with the iphone, if it went off at an inappropriate moment, or I wanted to stop it for whatever reason all I had to do was press the power button. No more sound and I could check the message either then, or at my leisure.

With S3, I'm finding that I have to; get phone from pocket (or wherever), open case, swipe from the new message icon to access the message and it will still play for 1-2 seconds after message has opened.....

4. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert

Hitting the power button immediately stops the ringer for me.

pharla likes this.
  5. pharla

pharla Newbie

That is interesting. Maybe a call to Sammy to see it there is a switch somewhere to enable it, thanks

6. john_g

john_g Android Enthusiast

Two possibilities, both of which are accessed via: Settings -> Motion

The first is: "Turn over to mute/pause" (Mute incoming calls and pause playing sounds when screen on).

The second is: "Palm touch to mute/pause" (Mute or pause sounds by covering screen with your hand while playing media with the screen on).

I've tried setting an alarm and the sound cuts off immediately I do either of the above things; hopefully it should work for other notification sounds too. It says that the screen needs to be on for these to work, but your screen should be coming on when the notification gets triggered.

pharla likes this.
  7. pharla

pharla Newbie

Been experimenting more. It will stop the phone call ringer for me, but not the text notification sound. Is it the same for you?

8. pharla

pharla Newbie

Thanks John

Tried both of those and while I can replicate the functionality, option 2 only worked for the alarm for me and nothing else. That's ok though as it isn't that good a match for me.

Option one is pretty cool though. Even in it's case and regardless of the phones orientation at the time of text or call, turning it so screen is face down kills the sound. I'd still love to be able to leave it in my pocket and kill the sound with the button, but this solution is pretty close in practicality.

9. john_g

john_g Android Enthusiast

Next time, maybe leave the phone in your pocket and try standing on your head? :)

10. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert

For texts, volume down stopped the sound, but power off didn't with screen on or off.

pharla likes this.
  11. pharla

pharla Newbie

Thanks.

Vol down took the volume down, but only after I activated screen from the lock screen by swiping. Not really a solution tbh. Thank you very much for the input and assistance...that is to everybody of course. Much appreciated

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews