1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Killed by the latest over-the-air update...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SarcasticJoe, Mar 15, 2011.

1. SarcasticJoe

SarcasticJoe Lurker
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    So my HTC Hero decided to kick the bucket after it finished installing the latest over-the-air update (which I hear was the long awaited 2.2 update) and started going into a bootloop on startup.

So basically what happened was that I did the over-the-air update as it's supposed to be done (let it download and, then install and not touch it while it's doing that) and when it was supposed to reboot once the update was finished it got stuck in a bootloop. The only modification I've done to it is that I've rooted it, but it's still running 100% official firmware (2.1, updated from 1.6 with the official over-the-air update last summer) so it shouldn't have become corrupted on it's own like that (it had worked without a hitch before that).

However I also happens to be second hand (originally bought it to see if Android was worth switching to and to be a temporary phone if I decide to switch, but I liked it so much I kept it) which also means that I don't have the receipt or even know where exactly it's been purchased. By using clues that I've gathered from the factory language settings I've concluded that it's probably been bought from a store in Luxenburg, which is quite a long way from Finland (where I live) and sort of did make the "Take it to where you bought it from" suggestion from HTC support more or less moot.

Tried the usual factory reset, recovery mode and taking out the SD card, but nothing worked so I've spent the day running back and forth trying to get it in for service (the first store said they only fix Nokias and not HTC's because they don't sell them despite loudly advertising that they fix all brands, then got sent back and forth between other stores) and was finally told to call the official repair company here in Finland. As per Murphy's law they had closed their phone support for the day literally 4 minutes before I called them (at 5:04 PM) and I found out that the company is absolutely terrible from iPhone owners who also have to use the same company (who apparently don't do ANY assessments without sending the device there and paying them 30 euros).

So is there any way I could flash the phone to a functioning firmware version myself, or do I have to rely on the infamously bad local service company or should I just buy a new phone altogether?

Advertisement

2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    You should be able to download the latest 1.5 firmware availabe for your phone and install that. However, somebody else here had the same problem and it wasn't recognising the phone being attached via USB.

Try running the RUU whilst it's booting/in fastboot/in recovery and hopefully it should work.

3. SarcasticJoe

SarcasticJoe Lurker
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    Tried that, even installed VirtualBox and a copy of XP in it as I use a mac and CrossOver didn't want to run the firmware flash tools, but as it's stuck in a bootloop (just like the phone in the topic you posted) it didn't work.

Ended up sending it to the company that services HTC's here in Finland and I know that it'll cost me atleast 58 euros just for shipping and the service estimate. If it'll cost me more than 100 euro's I'm tossing the damn thing and going back to Nokia's or something...

Tags: