• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help killing apps

so i have aps that keep popping up over and over again. i cant even uninstall some of them (skype). is there anyway to uninstall this crap. i cant stand stuff running in the backround

the only way to uninstall apps like skype, cityid, etc is to root your phone.

that said, they really shouldn't be popping up if you don't open/use them. you could try checking the settings for the offending app and make sure its not set to sync, etc.

note: if your talking just about the apps showing up in "running apps", these won't necessarily cause problems, Android is NOT like windows, just because the app is there doesn't mean its hurting anything or using resources. Besides sitting there annoying you in the list :p

Upvote 0
the only way to uninstall apps like skype, cityid, etc is to root your phone.

that said, they really shouldn't be popping up if you don't open/use them. you could try checking the settings for the offending app and make sure its not set to sync, etc.

note: if your talking just about the apps showing up in "running apps", these won't necessarily cause problems, Android is NOT like windows, just because the app is there doesn't mean its hurting anything or using resources. Besides sitting there annoying you in the list :p

I'm assuming he's using a task killer, and complaining that they're respawning. If that's the case, there's a simple solution...STOP KILLING THEM. They are using NO resources in the background that you should care about. Install system panel, and you'll see that they are using no CPU or network (the 2 things that drain battery, ignore memory usage).

Upvote 0
I'm assuming he's using a task killer, and complaining that they're respawning. If that's the case, there's a simple solution...STOP KILLING THEM. They are using NO resources in the background that you should care about. Install system panel, and you'll see that they are using no CPU or network (the 2 things that drain battery, ignore memory usage).

For those who cannot find System Panel. Some times it's hard to find.

chart

Reactions: euph_22
Upvote 0
I agree, quit killing the apps that came w/2.2 update or before and can't be uninstalled or permanently killed. I have spent days researching why my battery was losing power so quickly and came away with some really good hints. First, for the apps that keep appearing after you kill them w/APK, go ahead and long press and choose "ignore". The apps will continue to show up for a while and then you won't see them again unless you open them. They are running in the background and not using anything. The act of continually killing is just using more battery because they will continue to open over and over - like anything pesky, ignore, and it'll go away! Another hint was to stay away from all the fun, beautiful, crazy, colorful or live wallpapers. Beautiful and fun but not worth the battery life loss. Choose something as dark as you can handle and it won't use so much of your battery. I chose an app called Rare Black Wallpapers and you will be surprised how beautiful black and white can be. I also chose a clear background for my clock instead of the normal white. I have the 3500 extended battery and before I made some changes I was charging mid-afternoon and again when I went to bed. I now usually get 2.5 days (less if I use my phone to read books!). I'm by no means a "heavy" user but I do play around a lot on the internet and w/games so I would say I'm probably low-moderate. I also use Wi-Fi whenever available (definitely at home) and that helps but make sure to turn it off when not available or it will keep searching and use your battery.Try out the above and see if it helps. I'm no techie, but through a lot of research I got some good advice from lots of places.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones