• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Killing unwanted apps

My DroidX has several pieces of bloatware from Verizon or Motorola. I don't mind giving up a little Ram space for them, but many are running all of the time. After you kill them they come back to life.

Why does Music, Maps, SkypeMobile, CityId etc. need to run when I haven't even started them? I "assume" that they are just waiting until the end of a time period (an hour I hope rather than a second) to check if the need to "call home". If they are doing much they are eating battery time which isn't as good as I would like.

I realize that I would have to root my Droid to remove the apps. Is there an easier ways to keep them from running?

Unfortunately, there is no easier way to freeze, block or delete these apps. They are installed into system, higher than your present access level. Nowadays root is easy with a one step app called z4root. Let me know if you have any further interest in the joy (addiction) of root. :)

Upvote 0
Why does Music, Maps, SkypeMobile, CityId etc. need to run when I haven't even started them? I "assume" that they are just waiting until the end of a time period (an hour I hope rather than a second) to check if the need to "call home". If they are doing much they are eating battery time which isn't as good as I would like.
In general, they aren't "running". Well, cityID probably is, but you'd need root to get rid of that.

Most of the others you see, like Music/Maps, are just loaded in memory for quick access if you start them up. If you kill them and the system starts it up again, that's using more battery than just leaving them alone.

If Android needs the extra memory, it'll decide which app to close to free up memory. Memory not used is wasted, so there's no problem to have apps that aren't running loaded in memory.

That's how Android works. Don't worry about it.

Upvote 0
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I have two apps, (Block Buster and Lockout) that I downloaded from the App Market. Neither of them are what I expected so I went to "settings" - "applications" - I selected the application and hit "uninstall". A message comes back stating; "Uninstall Unsuccessful". Is there another way to uninstall a non-stock application without going through "settings" and without having to root my DX???? Help

Upvote 0
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I have two apps, (Block Buster and Lockout) that I downloaded from the App Market. Neither of them are what I expected so I went to "settings" - "applications" - I selected the application and hit "uninstall". A message comes back stating; "Uninstall Unsuccessful". Is there another way to uninstall a non-stock application without going through "settings" and without having to root my DX???? Help

not possible without root. sorry.

Reactions: Trace100
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones