• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Kinda silly question about cases

salmonman78

Lurker
Feb 19, 2011
Well me and my wife just bought our phones last night and I am not a fan of the cheap hard plastic backed cases they threw in as well. I have a Otterbox for my son for his iPod touch and I saw they are planning one for the LG Optimus as well. Well, I preordered a couple for me and her but now see that there are some slight differences to the models of the Optimus.

All the side buttons and charger port and ear speaker all look like they will work, buttons don't looks too far different besides shape. Just want to make sure the phone will actually work it in, they all look 95% the same just wanting a second opinion.

Thanks for reading and I am a happy new Android family member :D

Well me and my wife just bought our phones last night and I am not a fan of the cheap hard plastic backed cases they threw in as well. I have a Otterbox for my son for his iPod touch and I saw they are planning one for the LG Optimus as well. Well, I preordered a couple for me and her but now see that there are some slight differences to the models of the Optimus.

All the side buttons and charger port and ear speaker all look like they will work, buttons don't looks too far different besides shape. Just want to make sure the phone will actually work it in, they all look 95% the same just wanting a second opinion.

Thanks for reading and I am a happy new Android family member :D

Not sure what an Otterbox is, but I have a couple of the soft "gel" silicone cases that work very well.

YES, there are button position DIFFERENCES in the various Optimus models. First case I bought turned out to be for an Optimus S (Sprint version) -- and the holes were on the wrong side. I had to use scissors to make extra holes. This was before all the Optimus M cases came on the market. Just make sure it says it's for the MS690.

I have since thrown that one away and bought soft gel cases specifically for the Optimus M. Amazon.com has several. My favorite actually is the "clear" soft gel case. The one I have has rough texture finish on the back that enhances the grip.

Amazon.com: ms690 silicon

Upvote 0
Not sure what an Otterbox is, but I have a couple of the soft "gel" silicone cases that work very well.

YES, there are button position DIFFERENCES in the various Optimus models. First case I bought turned out to be for an Optimus S (Sprint version) -- and the holes were on the wrong side. I had to use scissors to make extra holes. This was before all the Optimus M cases came on the market. Just make sure it says it's for the MS690.

I have since thrown that one away and bought soft gel cases specifically for the Optimus M. Amazon.com has several. My favorite actually is the "clear" soft gel case. The one I have has rough texture finish on the back that enhances the grip.

Amazon.com: ms690 silicon

Well the Otterbox is a hard shell that snaps around the phone that is then covered by a thick rubber outer part, a real secure and tough case and my son has one for his iPod Touch and its worked great. They say for the Optimus S and U but besides the android buttons being a different shape and maybe 1/10 of a inch difference I would think our phone could still use it. I mean the volume and camera buttons are still in the same spot along with the power...just trying to see what others think or should I kill my preorder or are they close enough where I could get away with it.

Thanks for the reply, really diggin this phone so far.

Upvote 0
They say for the Optimus S and U but besides the android buttons being a different shape and maybe 1/10 of a inch difference I would think our phone could still use it. I mean the volume and camera buttons are still in the same spot along with the power...just trying to see what others think or should I kill my preorder or are they close enough where I could get away with it.

NO.

S vs M: camera button is on opposite side as well as the mic being on opposite side.

LG-Optimus-S-LS-6702.jpg

"S" has a hole on the lower left side for their SD card -- whereas we need that hole over on the lower right side for our camera.

LG-Optimus-M-2.jpg

We actually need two holes on the right side -- volume and camera. (Note this is flipped over view of our "M") Also note the mic location at bottom on the M?

LG_Optimus_.jpg

See where the "S" mic is? On the bottom RIGHT?

lg-optimus-m-mic.jpg

Whereas, "M" mic is on the bottom left. I had to use scissors to make a hole on the "S" case. If the mic is covered, people won't hear you! :)

That's why I had to use scissors to cut holes on the "S" case, which also left me with two extra holes I did not need. :( I threw it away and got the real MS690 case when they became available.

Reactions: salmonman78
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones