1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Tips Kindle update not compatible w/ Android 2.2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jkbbna, Oct 27, 2012.

1. jkbbna

jkbbna Active Member

May 14, 2011
    Just finished a chat session with Amazon. The latest Kindle app updated without any warning that it's not compatible with Android 2.2. According to Amazon's Manmeet you have to be running Android 3.7 or higher. So DON'T update if you're still running 2.2 and no the older versions are not available. For me the app would open to the Kindle splash screen and then in a moment send me back to the home screen. Thankfully, I had a backed up copy of the old Kindle app via Titanium and restored the old app and data from there.

Advertisement

2. rcsrich

rcsrich Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Proudly working for the Man since 2001
    Virginia, USA
    Thank for letting folks know about this- figured that we would start seeing more & more apps being 2.3 & newer...

3. AnciusD

AnciusD Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Male
    USA
    Yes, thanks for the warning. I've copied my backup to my PC just to be on the extra safe side. :D

4. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    Worshipping Cthulhu
    Sietch Tabr
    Do you mean 2.3.7? Or really 3.7 (Honeycomb)?

If you are rooted and have a Titanium Backup of it you can restore. Or now may be the time to install a Gingerbread ROM.

I am guessing you had the app through the Amazon Appstore. In my experience witht he Optimus V, if an app update through the Play Store makes it incompatible it won't let you update.

5. jkbbna

jkbbna Active Member

May 14, 2011
    The Amazon guy said "3.7" it didn't occur to me to ask him if he meant 2.3.7. I assumed he meant Honeycomb...but he didn't say that.

6. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    Worshipping Cthulhu
    Sietch Tabr
    3.2.6 is the highest version of honeycomb. Hopefully he meant 2.3.7.

7. Andymarten

Andymarten New Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Male
    ATC
    Dubai
    Hi guys, sorry if this the wrong place to ask this question but this is the closest thread I have seen yet to my query. I am brand new to Android and have just bought myself a Note 2, the phone so far is fantastic and I am sure that I am still only using about 2% of its potential.

My question is about the Kindle App, I have found it in the Play store but when I try to install it I am told that it is not available for my make of phone. Is there anywhere where I can download the app or is there anyway around accessing and reading my Kindle books on my Note 2.

Cheers

8. tli

tli Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2011
    As noted in the app's description in the Play Store, there is an issue with the latest version (3.7) of Kindle for Android for some phones. It also provided a download link to the previous version (3.6):

KindleForAndroid-3.6.0-GMC.apk

This version works on my OV running GB (2.3.7) while the latest version from Play Store indicated:

"Your device isn't compatible with this version." and

"This app is incompatible with your Virgin Mobile LGE LG-VM670."

FYI.

spayced and Nisun38562 like this.
  9. spayced

spayced Active Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Why the hell did they push this update? The app consists mainly of performing the super complicated task of "displaying text on a screen." Morons.

10. Nisun38562

Nisun38562 New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    @tli thanks for posting the apk!! worked for me

Tags: