1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General KitKat impressions thread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bjacks12, Nov 15, 2013.

1. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

Aug 8, 2012
    Male
    Professional Smartass
    Las Vegas
    Now that it's available, I wanted to create a separate thread where those of us who have installed factory KitKat on our Nexus 4's can share our impressions and what we like/don't like.

• VERY smooth, especially in ART runtime.
    • transparent bars in GEL.
    • Significant reduction in memory usage.
    • The new lock screen sound(sound of breaking a kitkat bar).

Dislikes
    • A few bugs, but those will be worked out as developers update their apps.
    • No transparent bars in lockscreen.
    • They could have handled the new phone app better, tech illiterate people will upgrade and wonder why their phone button disappeared.

I thought I would hate the white icons. I really, really liked the blue holo theme. But I've found that I am OK with the change.

Overall, this update is not revolutionary, it is barely evolutionary, BUT it is welcome and it is noticeable. Thank you Google.

Advertisement

egDonald likes this.
  2. 2prevail

2prevail Android Enthusiast
    None

May 29, 2012
    I love everything so far and I've noticed my battery is running way better than it had on 4.3 .. It'd be great if Google would add some transparency to the lock screen but it's nothing to cry about

3. xploPR

xploPR Android Expert
    None

Mar 12, 2012
    Richmond, VA.
    Im loving it, i was running the nexus 5 port, for a week already. but i got the nexus 4 image installed yesterday, and using it with ART, and i'm impressed, haven't run into to many bugs either, like i did on 4.3 at the firsts weeks of release. I also installed the google experience launcher. would also like transparency in the lock screen, but hey im happy lol

4. xploPR

xploPR Android Expert
    None

Mar 12, 2012
    Richmond, VA.
    I found on xda a mod to make the lock screen transparent, i flashed the zip thru recovery, and it works. here's the link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2527525

Also added a screenshot from my lock screen, so you could see how it looks.

All credit to Floydfire & Quinny899 @xda

Im on stock rom 4.4
    Using latest CWM RECOVERY

Attached Files:

5. xploPR

xploPR Android Expert
    None

Mar 12, 2012
    Richmond, VA.
    Found another mod for the stock rom, center clock. You gotta flash the odex version for it to work on stock 4.4

All credit goes to cargobr151 @xda

Here's the link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2529236&page=34

OP, sorry for posting those mods here, just wanted to contribute those mod's to your thread.

Attached Files:

6. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

Aug 8, 2012
    Male
    Professional Smartass
    Las Vegas
    No problem. Thanks for sharing

7. 2prevail

2prevail Android Enthusiast
    None

May 29, 2012

This was a great find but if Google pushes a bug fix like 4.4.1 do you think we will have to reflash the mod?

8. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    Most likely. Mods like that tend to be pretty particular.

As for KitKat, I like it overall. They did a good job of refreshing the UI without making it too different; the white colors look a lot better to be than the #HOLOYOLO ever did. There are also a number of new capabilities that I appreciate (default SMS provider, tap and pay, printing), and some noticeable improvements below the surface. I can't wait for ART to get the green light - my experience with that runtime has been very positive. The new search-assisted dialer is very cool. I actually spent several days about two weeks back looking for a decent caller ID app, so I'm thrilled to see a native solution.

That said, 4.4 is not without its flaws. The UI remains a bit inconsistent: toggle buttons are still blue, and the blue accents in the otherwise completely reworked dialer is a puzzling design decision. I'm also a bit disappointed that the network indicators on the status bar are less dynamic and useful. Redundant Photo and Gallery apps are also a bit confusing. They got a lot right with this release, but it kind of feels like they ran out of time to finish up the polish across the OS.

egDonald likes this.
  9. QuadeCD

QuadeCD Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2013
    Male
    Guys, I've been using 4.4 on my Nexus 4 for a week now (flashed the official image from Google) and just updated to the new build (KRT16S) OTA.

I mostly have good impressions, but I've discovered a few bugs/glitches:

1. When I swipe away (delete) an app icon from my home screen, the "X Remove" text that shows up and hides the Google search bar at the top of the screen remains there and doesn't go away. Check the screenshot that I've attached. This only happens when I swipe the app away, but when I drag it and put it over the "X Remove" text, it disappears and the search bar comes back again as usual.

2. There's lag at some places. I've never had lag on my Nexus 4 until now. I was hoping they fixed that with that new build that's pushing OTA now, but no luck. For example when I'm on my lock screen and I pull down the notification bar and tap on a notification, the phone lags for a good half second with the notification bar stuck in the middle of the screen and then unlocks and opens up the app with the notification. See the second screenshot to see an example.

3. When I have my headphones plugged in and I press the volume up/volume down button the beep sound comes out from the phone speaker. I haven't noticed that in 4.3. Is this normal?

My complaints might sound silly to you, but they're really annoying me :(
    Cheers!

Attached Files:

10. TimidBunny

TimidBunny Lurker
    None

Oct 29, 2012
    I too have been running the 4.4 factory image for the last week or so, until today when I OTA'd to the newest build.

Overall, I very much like Kit Kat. However, had I not chosen to sideload the GEL, I don't think my impressions would be quite as favorable. Without, I think it would have been sort of a 'meh' update.

Additionally, the promised increase in battery life has been roundly defeated by apps that don't seem to be functioning correctly in the new environment. Especially the Netflix app, which I noticed today accounting for 49% drain(!) after running once to plug in account info and then closing. I plan on reading more and then submitting a bug report if this continues.

11. Gareatron

Gareatron Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    Male
    Texas
    After messing around with the new update and the launcher I really like kit Kat. I like the icons the color of the folder background and I've noticed better battery time. I use the ok google search a lot so its really good update on that for me.

12. Stick405

Stick405 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 19, 2013
    Male
    I'm strictly an operator... know nothing about the technical side of this update... so the problem I have is that none of my many bluetooth devices work now.... what gives....

13. codesplice

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    Unknown. All of my Bluetooth stuff is working just fine. Did you do the OTA or another way of updating?

14. Stick405

None

Mar 19, 2013
    Male
    No idea what OTA means.... I'm on WIFI at the house here... It came thru as a message that lit up the screen... it looked ligit so I said "Yes Download" and thats it....

Rxpert83 likes this.
  15. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    OTA = Over the air

Its an update pushed by the carrier (or in this case google)

16. Stick405

None

Mar 19, 2013
    Male
    OK.....Didnt touch the phone while it was updating... seemed to be OK... everything else works.....

17. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    So by the sounds of it you updated "OTA" :thumbup:

The member above was asking if you had done it that way or by another means (usually sideloading it or flashing an updated ROM)

Stick405 likes this.
  18. Stick405

None

Mar 19, 2013
    Male
    The BT connects then disconnects and keeps repeating.....

19. codesplice

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    That's really odd. Have you tried "forgetting" those devices and pairing them again? I'm not sure what else to try.

20. Stick405

None

Mar 19, 2013
    Male

Yes.. thats my next move.....Strange this A.M. my flashlite app kept shutting its self off too.... Just wondering if some of these apps have suddenly become incompatible with this new system......

21. ooberandy

ooberandy Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Hartlepool, UK
    I only use BT in the car, but it still works as before for me.

Yes, some of your apps may need to be updated to work with 4.4. But hopefully that will only be the minority

22. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    Good point: haven't checked BT yet :eek:

Otherwise, I keep finding little refinements that I quite like - particularly the prettified e-mail app, the enhancements to notifications, being able to FF music on the lockscreen and the touch up to the clock app. I also prefer having the settings buttons permanently on screen in the camera app.

There are a couple of very minor gripes - first, the dialer's initially a bit confusing, though I think I'm getting there.

Also, when the battery level is low it's very hard to tell if the phone is properly connected and charging as the 'bolt' is black on a black background so nothing's visible. Having the parts of the bolt on the black background show as white would have worked better - particularly for those of us with aging eyes ;)

I still don't understand what the "^" at the bottom of the lock screen is for .. doesn't seem to do anything :thinking:

Haven't really noticed any difference in battery. Initially the phone seemed a bit sluggish but I'm not noticing that anymore. Finally, all my apps appear to be fine .. one icon disappeared, I just don't recall what it was :D

One question: does the new 'cloud' photo backup sync between devices? One thing that I have to admit is pretty cool about my missus i-setup is that as soon as she gets onto WiFi, all the new photos from her phone automatically sync with her iPad and laptop.

23. ooberandy

ooberandy Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Hartlepool, UK
    The ^ is an on screen hint to show that you can launch google now from the lock screen, just drag it up in the same way you launch google now normally. Personally I dont think its needed and that it clutters the screen up (along with the camera button). Once you know how these work, you dont need them to be there.

egDonald likes this.
  24. Stick405

None

Mar 19, 2013
    Male
    I re-paired a couple of my BT devices and dang it they still wont stay lit..... Also some of my apps stop working..... One more gripe ... Had a few dropped calls for no reason and I know it wasn't from a lost signal .at least not on my end...... Dunno, kinda wishing I could go back and away from the light...... Cheers....

25. lion7718

lion7718 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 8, 2011

I don't like them much myself, don't want to install launcher just to remove...maybe someone will make an Xposed Mod.

One thing I noticed is the the speaker phone volume has increased...definitely louder than before.

Tags: