1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

kitkat killed it.

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by femgoth, Dec 16, 2013.

1. femgoth

femgoth Newbie

Ok so having a nexus 7 I had kitkat come available so I did the official update. And it has pretty much rendered the tablet useless. I get serious lag on everything and I mean serious.

If I turn it on and wait 10 mins for it to get everything running then it should be at peak right? If I tap the app drawer icon it takes around 10 seconds to pop up. And same delay on pressing the home button, back button; on tapping a text box to type same delay before keyboard pops up. Loading an app is even longer; loading speedtest asp took over a minute.

All browsing is super slow. If I do a speed test on the nexus now I get 2m/s tops now. It just so happens that we recently updated our router so I did a test a few days before upgrading to kitkat and was getting 50-60 even at peak times.

Anyone have a reasonable reason why this could be happening or how to fix it?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

I dont know but i have a friend on G+ and the same thing happened to her with the kk update. She had to send it away for repair (dont know what they did but it came back running 4.3) she updated it as soon as she got home and its fine now.
    Id look at returning it or reflashing kitkat if youre confident OR rooting and romming it (as my g+ friend has now done).
    Maybe try a factory reset first :thumbup:

3. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

I'd agree with the factory reset. You changed OS's and it had many changes to come along with it. It's a common philosophy among the custom rom community that if you want to be as bug free as possible, factory reset each time you update or change roms. If you only wipe caches, you live with the possibility that things don't work right.

Is this the 1st Gen or 2nd Gen Nexus 7?

Rxpert83 likes this.
  4. femgoth

femgoth Newbie

What's the easiest way of reinstalling everything after a reset?

5. funkylogik

Yeah the 4.4 update is a MAJOR one and as J says, even with custom roms, you definately do a full wipe (factory reset) between changes in android version :thumbup:

6. funkylogik

Just have it set to backup to google then after the reset, when you boot up again youll get an option to restore your apps (app data will be lost, it will just start downloading all the apps you had from play store like new) as for media, i dont know. Ill let Jhawk answer that one :beer:

7. funkylogik

This is a custom rom but yours should look similar. in settings, "backup and reset" make sure the top box is checked before resetting uploadfromtaptalk1387231778010.jpg

8. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

Media won't be retained unless it's actually cloud media (from Google Play), or you perform the factory reset using a custom recovery. So the best option would be to back up your media (pictures, music, videos) to an external storage like a computer, and then perform the factory reset. Google will start restoring you apps if you enabled the back up option, or they'll be seen in your all list for My Apps in the Play store which you can install manually. Once that's all done, restore your media from the computer.

funkylogik likes this.
  9. funkylogik

Its the backing things up to computer thing i dont understand coz i dont use computers and ive always had SD card lol. How is that done mate?

10. femgoth

femgoth Newbie

All media is stored centrally on our network. Erik have a bash at resetting. Wish me luck.

11. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert

Sort of related to the question: When I bought my second Android phone I was shocked how easy it was to get all my apps back. It even remembers your wifi settings, and as I recall, email settings, but I could be wrong about that last one.

12. funkylogik

Good luck :beer: dont forget to let us know how it goes :thumbup:

13. femgoth

femgoth Newbie

Well it's churning through installations now. Seems at first glance to be faster.

14. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

It's hit or miss on wifi settings. It's quite awesome when it works, but you have to sign in to your gmail first which means you either have to use your wifi password before it can remember it, or use mobile data.

15. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert

I was likely using mobile, since it was a phone. I didn't think about that on a tablet--good point.

16. femgoth

femgoth Newbie

Ok so it started installing apps got about 1/10 of the way through then stopped. It says downloading for the rest but it isn't.

17. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

Try canceling the one it's stuck on, and then re-add it to your download queue. It should start up on the next one.

18. femgoth

femgoth Newbie

Hmmm, it just appears to be hanging now. Not installing any more things although it is saying that it is.

19. femgoth

femgoth Newbie

It isn't stuck on any, rather is just stuck. It finished one but won't start the next

20. femgoth

femgoth Newbie

Hmm, anyone have any idea how I can get this to restart installing apps?

21. funkylogik

u using wifi or 3g/4g?

22. femgoth

femgoth Newbie

With WiFi. Had to stop and do them manually. Everything seems a lot quicker now..

23. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert

Do any Nexus devices have 3g or 4g?

Glad to hear the OP has things going now. I have the update sitting on my N7, but was waiting.

24. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Phones do, and it looks like the 2nd gen 32GB N7's do as well, or at least have that option.

25. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert

I meant N7s, but thanks for the response on the 32GB devices.