1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root KitKat official update coming soon?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by randjav15, Jul 7, 2014.

1. randjav15

randjav15 Member

I was browsing on Boost Mobile's site today, and as I was reading about this phone, I noticed that it said we had KitKat. I clearly knew this wasn't true (at the moment) but is this hinting at us possibly getting 4.4 KitKat officially released by Boost Mobile in the near future?

Boost Warp 4G Android Phone Specs | Boost Mobile

Advertisement

thowersome and xman95 like this.
  2. SuperR

SuperR Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

Well that is interesting. Hopefully it is not a mistake lol

edit: called Boost and they said there is already a KitKat update but they are having issues with it showing up. Not sure I believe him so I have been on hold with ZTE for over an hour so far. Will keep you updated.

edit2: after 1 hour 34 minutes of hold time, a guy from zte said there is an update to 4.4 coming and it will be about a month before we get it.

thowersome, Wizaired, sb43 and 2 others like this.
  3. jimsmith80

jimsmith80 Android Expert

That's great news. Having a functional 4.4 ROM may help me get beta quality out of cm11 at a minimum

4. xman95

xman95 Android Enthusiast

WOW!!! I can't believe it..... We would be making a big jump from 4.1.2
    I can't imagine how much more efficient this phone would be with KitKat.

5. jimsmith80

Its pretty sweet. I can post a very broken cm11 if you guys want a KitKat preview

xman95, dthomas4322 and sb43 like this.
  6. Wizaired

Wizaired Well-Known Member

This sounds really cool. I've been reading how kit Kat operates more efficient than previous android versions, saving battery and being quicker. :)

How do you guys think this will effect the phone in terms of like ram, battery life, and overall performance?

7. bcrichster

bcrichster ROMinator

Math & science will prevail, Lmfao. Js. Lol.

8. 12PKWILLUS

12PKWILLUS Well-Known Member

I contacted ZTE on this, and their response was they don't have update software for this phone, at this time.

9. junkie2100

junkie2100 Android Expert

lol, you thought zte would know something, thats hilarious...

but yea, am i the only one who noticed that when we come out with an almost completely stable release of a newer version of android they start talking about an update

10. bcrichster

bcrichster ROMinator

Nope. Been like this since the early N861 Sequent dev times, lol

11. junkie2100

actually if i remember correctly it has been going on since before that, i could swear i had heard a story about someone finding their code in the original warp n860 in a kernel update lmao

12. junkie2100

mind you, i actually like the fact that they use our code, i just find it funny that when we update their shit they start coming out with an update lol. we do the heavy lifting they work out the details and come out with an official update. its really beneficial to us all as long as they keep sharing their work as we do and we all work together

kinda wish i got paid like they do but hey what can you do?

13. rbheromax

rbheromax Android Expert

If i were u guys, when the update comes out, i wouldn't flash it just yet. there are 2 8930 chip-set ZTE's with locked bootloaders, and all it would take is a few name changes (sed command) and a "make" command to lock us out permanently. Taking 30 secs, they could end development, and with people always bricking and sending them in for warranty, I'm sure they would like to stop losing money giving out free devices for people who broke their own stuff. If anyone gets the update, pull it from /cache and upload it somewhere

bcrichster, SuperR and jimsmith80 like this.
  14. jimsmith80

Agreed. Let us take a look at the update before installing. It could save you some head ache

SuperR likes this.
  15. SuperR

SuperR Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

Good point rbheromax. The update will likely be a full rom rather than patches. Either way we can easily repack it without the bad stuff ;)

rbheromax likes this.
  16. 12PKWILLUS

Could it be pulled off the phones with Kit Kat on it, and be uploaded on existing phones with JB?

17. SuperR

SuperR Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

Well, the point would be that nobody actually installs the KitKat update before we make sure it won't cause harm. Someone would need to let the update download to /cache, copy it to their sdcard, delete it from /cache so it never gets installed, and upload to a server so we can have a look at it.

Actually, we should still be able to recover with the unbrick tool in the event someone gets their bootloader locked. I would need to expand it's current functionality and we need to be sure we have all the current partitions somewhere beforehand.

thowersome likes this.
  18. rbheromax

rbheromax Android Expert

I'll write a backup zip for cwm so someone can make backups for us.

SuperR likes this.
  19. 12PKWILLUS

I was actually thinking about the ones boost are selling now, with kit kat already installed. Not the update. Since the phones are exactly the same, do you think transferring it will cause problems?

20. SuperR

SuperR Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

If you are referring to Boost Warp 4G LTE devices being sold with KitKat already installed, that is news to me. If you are referring to another ZTE device, they are not the same and yes it will cause issues.

edit: looks like you may be talking about the ones on the Boost site right now. I am not certain they have KitKat in reality, but if they do we should be able to grab it and make some new roms. Do you happen to have one of these devices running KitKat?

jimsmith80 likes this.
  21. 12PKWILLUS

I wish I did. I have the 4g lte with JB. My wife has the og warp. Might be time to get her a new phone :)

22. SuperR

SuperR Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

If you get a Boost Warp 4G LTE with KitKat on it, let me know and I will help you help me make a rom so we can all have KitKat :)

23. Wizaired

Wizaired Well-Known Member

The Boost site is still saying the warp lte runs 4.4. No change to specs indicating a mistake (if they care?) and it's been a couple weeks since I first seen those specs.
    Either no one ordered one from the site yet, they ordered one and it didn't have Kit Kat and returned it or didn't care, or it did have KitKat. Someone must know!! :thinking:
    I looked for a KitKat version of this phone from other sources but nothing turned up :what:

24. TechNewbie17

TechNewbie17 Member

Is there a way to stop the update from initiating on it's own or is this going to be one of those optional upgrades?

25. SuperR

SuperR Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

Speaking hypothetically since I am still not sure we will actually get an update to KitKat (lol), it will be an OTA (over the air) update and you will get a notification prompting you to download and install it. If/when you get that notification, agree to the download but don't let the update reboot your device. Then do as I mentioned earlier to capture the update and prevent installation.

thowersome and torrexx like this.