• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root KitKat Remix Roms! CM 11, SlimKat, Omni, PAC, AOKP, & Carbon!

The APN fix's are by MopedRyder. Not picking, but just thought the credit should go to the right person.
Absolutely, Its been awesome watching all the bugs get squashed and fixes get implemented big thanks to all, I'm in the process of replacing the screen on my volt next Mon so I can help again too [emoji2]

Upvote 0
I have almost always had to use SD fix on every KK ROM I have used with the exception of one of the new ROMs here recently and it made setup way easier. I have seen this issue pop up on lollipop too in a few cases. Thanks for putting work in to make the solution permanent, it is much appreciated!
The solution doesn't seem to be permanent. Example: after flashing I still need a SD fixer to enable UC Browser to write to SD (downloads)

Reactions: Curtis1973
Upvote 0
I've got a 32gb SD card, so there is plenty of room for holding roms and backups of them. I've been trying all the roms out for our device, one by one. I am now running SlimKat, working really sweet!! Going to try the AOKP next. @SykkNyzz are you going remix any others??? (Nice Work!!)

One issue I have is, in ANY of the CM11 based roms I flash, the included AOSP keyboard app force closes every time. I has to be something somewhere in a hidden area of my phone that's causing it. On any of the modded stock roms though, this never was an issue. No skin off my teeth (gave my age away by that statement), I just flash a replacement and problem solved.

The other issue I'm having is on SlimKat, the back & menu keys (buttons) either totally freeze up or there is an extremely long lag (25 sec.), ONLY WHILE it is CHARGING. Once unplugged, keys function normal again. It's not in CM11 (original), nor in curtis's PACman. Didn't notice if it was on CM11 remix. I also haven't looked at the Omni or the Carbon remixes yet.

I like how small this rom (SlimKat) is. Performance is great, especially with a kernel manager. Enough features for power/experienced users, but not overdone. Slim roms have always been one of my favorites. Thanks @SykkNyzz for hard work on the remixes

Also a HEADS UP with a short (true) story: If you use Pri-vacy Guard, make sure NOT to have it block private data for any user or system GPS/location apps. Otherwise you will NOT get a GPS lock, at all.

My Story: Just trying to save others from a very, very simple time consuming error. I turned Pri-vacy Guard on in security settings for ALL apps and forgot about it. I then made a backup. After that I flashed some of the other roms (didn't bother to check GPS), reflashed the backup and had no GPS (it worked when first flashed, before the backup was made). Flashed zv6 by curtis, got GPS lock, flashed backup. No GPS, same result over and over. 3 hrs and 6 rounds of flashing curtis rom and the backup later, I was about to gave up. Then it dawned on me something was restricting access to the GPS. So I started searching through .XML files (that was 2.5 hrs), then eventually in the main settings is where I found my error. Relief (it's fixed) and extreme anger (5.5 hrs of "fixing it") at the same time, all because of a basic checkbox option. And yes, I made a new backup after correcting it. :D

[I had to hyphenate the word Privacy otherwise when added with the word Guard, it only shows asterisks (*). Go figure, lol.]

Last edited:
Reactions: SykkNyzz
Upvote 0
@HasH_BrowN
1. Tom (from OP) is the reason I ended up doing this in the first place. He talked about taking /etc folder from the latest build from decaf and adding it to an earlier version of it, that it would fix the issue. So when I did this, I waited until whoshotjr fixed that info for the CAF version. Then I utilized the /etc folder and fixed each one that whoshotjr made. I got so excited that I forgot to explain this properly. I just wanted to help make the volt have more stable-ish flavors. But until I myself know how to compile a ROM and have the true patience for it, I probably won't make more.
2. I don't happen to get a force close with AOSP k/b but I do remember that some of the volts are ?varied? Like when some of us back in may 2015 (when I gave it up and went back to moto g) couldn't use the FF camera or had the LTE issue. (Phone stuck at 3G)
3. I am happening to use SlimKat as we speak (lol) I keep it charging on my netbook because I like not dedicating myself to a wall. And Idunno if these ROMs have the "fast USB charging" but o use kernel aduitor for that solution just in case and I get 100% every morning. But I got off track.... (My bad) I don't have an issue with it. But I have had this issue with the Photon Q & Droid 4. If anyone else is having this issue I'm sorry.
4. Thanks for the advice HB I don't personally use Priv-Guard, but when i did in the past I kinda overhauled it and pretty much couldn't link anything with anything.
BTW I only called them remix because they are original with the /etc being the twist
I offer the chance for anyone to mess with them as they please as whoshotjr was OK with this being done.
I hope I clarified some things

Upvote 0
I put on airplane mode for a while, and when I turned it off I had no cellular data. I'm on Virgin mobile. Is there a fix for this? LG Volt LS74)

i think this is an issue with virgin mobile themselves. happens to me. the device looks for the signal again via call out...they dont respond timely. this happens on stock rom also. usually only occurs once you hit throttling. never while in full lte mode. just re toggle data in settings or reboot.

Upvote 0
I see it this way. bad mofo and whoshotjr left us with a lot to work with,learn from and build upon. we among others are contributing to the life of our device. I'm in it for the long haul.
I Want To Be part Of The People Who Wants To Keep Bringing Life To This Device It Has Been One Of The Best Devices I Have Had

Upvote 0
Virgin mobile
Pac rom
LG Volt
Data connection just disappears sometimes and has become more frequent. I'm not messing with airplane mode or anything. Thx in advance.!
I would suggest to try the Saber PAC ROM that curtis1973 ported. Since he has a VM volt, it seems to work for him. I have this one seeming to work for the Boost Volt I guess. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones