1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Know Your Scams Well, My Child

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bob Maxey, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010

Advertisement

2. Jammy

Jammy Android Expert
    None

May 29, 2010
    United Kingdom
    A 38 page bill?!

I get this emailed to me each month:

[​IMG]

If I click "look at your bill here", I get this:

[​IMG]

3. Njcellgeek74

Njcellgeek74 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    domestic goddess
    Joisey
    My oldest son did that once. I now have a block on all my lines to prevent it. Fortunately I caught it the 1st month because I'm anal retentive about my bill. It usually is tied to the "free ringtones" sites.

4. Tempusfugit

Tempusfugit Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2010
    Know your scams well indeed. Jason Hope IS a scammer:

Verizon complaint

However, the youtube poster isn't 100% accurate. He did sign up for a service on a website. He did reply with a pin number to a text message. There were deceptive practices, and the price probably wasn't displayed according to standards, making it a scam. They also used false addresses, and used code to redirect auditors to legit sites -BUT the youtube guy was looking for something free in the scamtastic world of text message services.

I would suggest you DON'T REPLY to any random texts, the text message he described is not how he got the charges, there is more to the story. Even At&t would shut it down if there wasn't actually a double opt in - original sign up through website or text(first opt in) and then entering a received pin again through text or website(second opt in)

5. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    There was an article in the Arizona Republic newspaper the other day about the law suits against Jason Hope and Jawa...

Scottsdale firm accused of texting scam

Both Verizon and the Texas AG's office have filed against Jawa...

6. Crude

Crude Android Expert
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    Nexusville
    I love the reference to ATT's code of business conduct. Where I work they have OUR code hanging all over so I know it well. One of the words used in this code to describe my companies dealings with it's customers and employees is "integrity".

Interestingly enough in the last 3 years I know of 3 lawsuits brought against the company that we lost. Also there have been several instances where the company fired some one, then fought against unemployment benefits and lost on grounds of lying or cheating.

I have to assume the code is a joke or some one doesn't understand the word "integrity".

7. sevenstars

None

Dec 16, 2009
    and you'll get an infraction. WTF? Infractions? Wh
    supercilious, condescending douche bag, and hide i
  8. Gmash

Gmash Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    neither Here nor There
    Do you really want to give kudos to verizon for allowing these scammers to use their network and billing system, taking half of the money, then suing them when it becomes public? These are scum among scum, I can't tell which one is worse.

9. sevenstars

None

Dec 16, 2009

Gmash likes this.
  10. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    that is nutz!

i will have to look closer at my bill.

11. Gmash

Gmash Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    neither Here nor There
    I didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you. Sorry if you took it that way. These big corporations just piss me off with their lack of accountability. They do whatever they want until enough people cry foul, then they buy their way out of it or blame somebody else.

12. sevenstars

None

Dec 16, 2009

Gmash likes this.
  13. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert
    None

I'm trying to figure out my own scam so I can build a 2,000,000 sq ft home in Arizon that will include an indoor airport, a live volcano & Jason Hopes house so that I can charge him parking at a rate of 100 million dollars per vehicle, per day.

Any ideas?

14. sevenstars

None

Dec 16, 2009
  15. jamor

jamor Android Expert
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    Planet Earth
    It's not a hard scam to pull off.

You just make a colorful TV commercial saying to kids:

"Text your name and sex, and we will text back your Jersey Shore Guido nick name!! You will be soo coool!"

Then in small, unreadable font that flashes on the TV for 1 second, you write "This automatically enrolls you in a monthly plan for 9.99 a month. Must text stop to cancel."

16. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    Male
    Houston, TX
    I had this happen to me once but noticed the charge immediately on my bill and had T-Mobile refund it. Your best bet is to just stay away from those free "whatever" sites. If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

17. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert
    None

Yes, well I've come to the conclusion that my scam...... er, excuse me, I mean my new 'service', will be selling 'Catastrophic' insurance to anyone with a cell phone. And it will automatically appear on everyones phone bill at the mere cost of $1.99 per month. When they call in to inquire about this new insurance charge on their bill, the service providers will be instructed to tell the customer that my new insurance provision covers their phone 100% in the event of a catastrophic occurance. There is no charge for the replacement phone, and if their device is 3 months or older, the next 'latest and greatest' model device on their particular company (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, etc...) will be shipped same day shipping in its place.

This will lull the unsuspecting customer to compliance with the incredibly cheap cost of the insurance. However when it comes time to actually make a claim on the insurance, the fine print will then be presented entailing that the catastrophic premise that this particular plan insures its customers against is any and all events in which their cellular device becomes abducted by aliens.

Naturally a police report is necessary proving that their device was in fact beemed up aboard a mother ship of an alien race from another dimension via a 'lighter shade of pale' ray (not the typical BRIGHT white ray you see in most movies). But the perpetrators can't be the little green men who usually pull off such pranks. That is far too common place (and should already be covered in your normal insurance policy). Catastrophic insurance only covers those devices that have been reposessed by yellow and purple plaid creatures flying around in a giant, wooden craft in the shape of a statue very closely resembling Ronald Regan.

So long as all of those facts are included in the disposition signed by the local police department, the state senator, my fifth grade teacher (who is dead if I'm not mistaken), and the head of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms... then they shall recieve their upgraded phone later that very day. Guaranteed! And under the finer, fine print it will state that if they don't recieve their new device later that same day, then they will instead be refunded their $1.99 cents.

.... but only the last 3 months worth. They can't expect me to refund ALL of their money. That would be preposterous!