1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

"Known issue" with Google GPS Services?... Anybody?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by entelechy3, Aug 29, 2011.

1. entelechy3

entelechy3 Member

I've had a Droid 3 for about a month now, and I'm loving it overall... but in all the time I've had the phone, I've gotten a GPS lock a total of literally two or three times. I'm seldom more accurate than 1100 meters to my location. For a while, I wasn't worried about it because I wasn't been traveling much, but lately I've been on the road more and the lack of functional Google Nav is getting awfully annoying.

I called VZW support to see what the deal is, and they told me it was a known issue with Google's software, that it was having trouble communicating with the GPS satellites, and that it was affecting all Android phones (though not uniformly--that is, some have the problem, some don't), and that it was being worked on. I was skeptical of this response, since I haven't heard a damn thing about it.

Is anybody else having this problem? Anybody's GPS not working--and been not working for about a month? (Suspiciously, this "known issue" cropped up at the same time I bought my new phone.)

As for details, my phone gets my location, but it looks like it's only getting a cell tower triangulation--it's never more accurate than down to about a thousand meters. And the little icon in the taskbar that normally shows up when GPS is working is almost never there... I'm seriously doubting that my GPS sensors are even working.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. KENNECTED

KENNECTED Android Expert

I have an EVO 4G and my device sometimes get down to a few feet in accuracy.

I wonder, are your settings completely updated? PRL, Firmware, etc.?