1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Known issues with the Galaxy Nexus

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nj02vette, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Caddyman

Caddyman Android Expert
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Mechanical Piping Designer
    Delaware
    i think the voice is pretty good, it needs time to learn your routine to figure out what cards to show.

Advertisement

2. ozman500

ozman500 Lurker
    None

Aug 1, 2012
    Hey so I've been having this issue with my gnex for about a week where it would not charge. I tried changing the battery and that did still not work so I was about to ship it to Samsung to look at when all of a sudden, it started working again. However, when I remove it from the charger, i see that the charging indicator still has a thunderbolt in it showing that the device is charging when it is fact not. It stays like this sometimes and other times the thunderbolt dissapears and everything goes back to normal. Should I still send my phone to samsunng or should I simply deal with the little icon in the corner? (Keeping in mind that it would be difficult for me without a phone for 2 weeks for work)

Thanks!.

3. metal571

metal571 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 8, 2012
    Graduate Student
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have discovered a touchscreen sensitivity issue.

Try this:

1: unlock phone
    2: tap the home button a ton of times, it should register almost every time if not every single time.
    3: open an app like messaging.
    4: go back to the home screen.
    5: hit the recent app button and go back to the app you just opened.
    6: go back to the home screen (i find i have to press the home button twice to even get there at this point)
    7: now tap the home button quickly and repeatedly again

I find that the home button only registers if i press pretty hard now, otherwise it never registers my touch at all. Also, if you go into messaging at this point, you'll find that the keyboard skips letters. Locking/unlocking the phone again causes normal behavior to return. Anyone else? This is a GSM GN from the Play Store running 4.1.1. It's brand new and I just unboxed it today less than 12 hours ago. This smells like a very annoying software problem.

4. PhoenixofMT

PhoenixofMT Newbie
    None

Jan 17, 2010
    Male
    Engineering Technician
    Bozeman
    [On clicking speakers, and please forgive me for not reading all 400 posts.]

Based on experience with my Moto Droids (1 and 3) listening on headphones and through my car speakers, it seems that the phone turns off the DAC and switches the output to ground when no sound is playing (i.e. after a notification or an audio track). I've found that after a sound is played, there is a moment of silence followed by some pretty nasty digital noise. I don't remember any clicking per say, but I can easily imagine the ground level being held by the DAC (i.e. silence) being sufficiently different from the noisy system ground to cause a click when it's switched over. I imagine this is a common design and thus applicable to the GNex.
    The improvements from software updates probably come from tweaking the the DAC value that represents ground. This starting value is probably set near the prototyping stage and may even be a value calculated from the part's datasheet! I work in the test department of an electronics manufacturer and know from experience that "nominal" values determined by the first 2 prototypes often need adjustment in order to pass the first 100 production units.

5. lordj

lordj Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    I just tried several times and cannot cause this problem you are having, either with the home button or keyboard.

6. PhoenixofMT

PhoenixofMT Newbie
    None

Jan 17, 2010
    Male
    Engineering Technician
    Bozeman
    This sounds more like an app working in the background eating up resources and slowing the whole system than a screen sensitivity issue. If the processor is too busy to acknowledge your taps, you will have to press longer (or harder in your case) to get it to register. I'v had this sort of thing happen on PCs that got so bogged down you could hardly move the mouse. It looks like locking the phone probably dislodges whatever process is eating the processor. I guess just avoid madly tapping at the home button :D.

7. metal571

None

May 8, 2012
    Graduate Student
    Philadelphia, PA
    No I know exactly what you're thinking, but I have done this FRESH off of a factory reset. There's absolutely nothing running in the background, and this still happens. Two people on XDA have confirmed this so far with me as well, and I reported it to Google. It never happened before 4.1.1 is what people are saying.

8. karanbel

karanbel Lurker
    None

Aug 11, 2012
    Hi there,

I've a Galaxy Nexus and I'm using it in India. It has stopped working and when I got it checked, they told me that the motherboard isn't working. But, they also said that the part isn't available in India, and they also do not have the permission to rewrite the IMEI number.

Please help! :(

9. metal571

None

May 8, 2012
    Graduate Student
    Philadelphia, PA
    Try another country's support team phone number maybe?

10. otterbob

otterbob Member
    None

Jun 25, 2010
    Wellsville, NY
    First phone wouldnt work on 4G whatsover. Wouldnt even switch to 3G when 4G drops. Received certified like new replacement and all was well for two weeks and all of the sudden today, started getting the one way call muting horseshit. If placing a call from the phone, complete silence. Cant hear the line ringing. When the other party answers, they hear you once, but you cannot hear them. Called verizon, third one on the way! WTF!!!!! My other phone is a SIII and it is 10 fold over what the Nexus is. I am sorry, but the Nexus is a p.o.s.

11. metal571

None

May 8, 2012
    Graduate Student
    Philadelphia, PA
    Welcome to the Verizon version...lol I'm glad I have the real version. That one is barely supported by AOSP too.

12. metal571

None

May 8, 2012
    Graduate Student
    Philadelphia, PA
    PNWViking likes this.
  13. encina1

encina1 Newbie
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    I do have 4.0.4, and now, suddenly, this past weekend, my phone is constantly rebooting itself. It freezes, reboots. I've taken to just turning it off, or when that doesn't work, I pull the battery.

When it stops rebooting, the battery is nearly dead.

Now when I try charging it, it won't charge. It just sits there. I try to plug it in to multiple outlets or USB drives, but nothing. It will start charging again when I power it down.

14. encina1

encina1 Newbie
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    Hey, look at that. I plug it in (USB) and it does nothing. Doesn't charge, just sits there.

I turn it off and...now it is charging.

Oy!

15. idic

idic Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 8, 2012

Yes but...why would you do that? How is this a 'very annoying' problem? I'd be more annoyed if someone was sitting next to me mashing their home button!

Does this manifest itself in other ways that we should be worried about that might occur in normal use of the phone?

16. metal571

None

May 8, 2012
    Graduate Student
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yes. When typing, a lot of the letters just get skipped because people dont press hard when typing. They just type fast. That's the big issue. And this happens every time you use the Recent Apps button. It's just more noticeable if you have the issue by pressing the home button quickly, but you'll see it much more obviously when you go to try to type a text message in messaging after switching to it using the Recent Apps navigation button.

17. mirandalynn

mirandalynn Lurker
    None

Aug 23, 2012
    K my phone always charged and let me use it to teather the internet to my laptop but loday it won't do anything. It doesn't show that it is plugged in at all

18. mirandalynn

mirandalynn Lurker
    None

Aug 23, 2012
    That's exactly what mine is doing too

19. intelwild

intelwild Lurker
    None

Jul 27, 2010
    Can anyone help with this problem. I can not receive or send out pics through texts anymore. Normal texts with words still come through just no pictures can be sent or down loaded through mms. It used to work and about 2 weeks ago just stopped. I called the Nexus hotline, Samsung and Sprint and basically comes down to Samsung wants me to send my phone in.This will take about two weeks being without my phone and was hoping to avoid this. I did do a factory reset but that did not help the problem. Any ideas on what it could be????? Thanks for the help ahead of time.
    (Oh and just to ad, I had an HTC EVO (loved it) before my Galaxy Nexus but I like my Gnex better after about 2 months with it. If the camera was better and speaker a little louder for GPS then the Galaxy Nexus to me is the perfect phone....just my 2 cents...)

20. metal571

None

May 8, 2012
    Graduate Student
    Philadelphia, PA
    have you at least tried to factory reset it from stock recovery? also almost every custom ROM in existence makes the speaker louder than stock just fyi.

21. intelwild

intelwild Lurker
    None

Jul 27, 2010
    How do you do a facotry reset from stockrecovery. I was on the phone with Samsung and we did a factory reset. Helped with my GPS connection issues but not with sending pictures through texts messages.What is the difference???

22. metal571

None

May 8, 2012
    Graduate Student
    Philadelphia, PA
    Shut the phone off. Hold both volume up and down first, then hold down power and keep holding all 3 until you get to what is known as the bootloader screen. Then use the vol down button to scroll until the screen says recovery or restart recovery. then tap the power button. the phone will boot directly into recovery. you should see an opened up bugdroid logo but nothing else. from there, press and hold the power button then press the volume up button once then release the power button and a menu should appear. then select wipe data/factory reset from this menu. you navigate by using volume up and down to select and power to execute the currently selected command. once it finishes and you select yes from the "are you sure" menu, you select reboot system now and you'll be factory reset the "pro" way. this recovery typically gets replaced by custom recoveries used to flash different firmware on the device once the bootloader is unlocked, but you didn't need to know that. if you had any issue with the instructions, i'll be here for a couple of hours more to clarify if necessary so just respond on the thread

23. Xuthus

Xuthus Member
    None

Dec 6, 2010
    Suffolk, United Kingdom
    Mine rebooted very occasionally but has not done so recently. I suspect one of the OTA software upgrades fixed this, maybe the Jellybean one.

Interestingly I was prompted to get this phone because my previous one, an HTC Desire-Z would lock up and not reboot which was infinitely more problematic. At least with an automatic reboot the phone is only off the air for a short while. If the phone freezes but does not reboot then it can be off the air for hours and for all you know someone could be trying to contact you.

24. Xuthus

Xuthus Member
    None

Dec 6, 2010
    Suffolk, United Kingdom
    My g/f had a similar issue with a Galaxy S2 - she found she was unable to hang up calls. It turned out she had placed a screen protector over a proximity sensor such that the software thought the phone was being held to her ear and thus disabled the keypad to stop accidental presses from momentary contact with the face. Cutting a small piece out of the screen protector resolved the issue.

25. Xuthus

Xuthus Member
    None

Dec 6, 2010
    Suffolk, United Kingdom
    I suspect this was a deliberate design decision to avoid disturbing the call.

Obviously people use their phones in different ways but if I was in the middle of a call and actually talking to someone rather than listening to music on hold I wouldn't dream of interrupting that conversation to respond to text messages or e-mail.

Tags: