• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Knox activation button is disabled

AnnDevice

Lurker
Jan 28, 2023
Hello!
Nice to be here. I ask for help with Knox. I can't activate it. Knox activating button is disabled. Maybe virus or something else. Lucky Patcher shows that Knox is deleted "for that user". What does it mean and how i can activate my Knox security function again?
Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230128-211229.png
    Screenshot_20230128-211229.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 133
Hello!
Nice to be here. I ask for help with Knox. I can't activate it. Knox activating button is disabled. Maybe virus or something else. Lucky Patcher shows that Knox is deleted "for that user".

I presume you've got a Samsung device, and you've rooted it. Lucky Patcher is malware

What does it mean and how i can activate my Knox security function again?
Thank you!

AFAIK you can't. When a Samsung phone or tablet is rooted, it trips a non-resettatable e-fuse, that permanently disables the Knox security, and voids the warranty.

You can check the Knox and Warranty Void status by going into Download mode. If it shows 0x0, it's ok. If it shows 0x1 or anything else, Knox and warranty are invalid.

Upvote 0
what phone do you have? and this is an English only site. i was able to use google translate and this is what your photo says in English:
Screenshot_20230128_151442_Google.jpg

so you can't select the activate button all the way at the bottom right?

Thank you for answer and additional effort for translation. Yes, button is disabled and where is no way to activate it again. I was thinking that it's my smartphone mistake and there can be some sort of firmware to activate button again. Something like "button: enable".

Upvote 0
I presume you've got a Samsung device, and you've rooted it. Lucky Patcher is malware

AFAIK you can't. When a Samsung phone or tablet is rooted, it trips a non-resettatable e-fuse, that permanently disables the Knox security, and voids the warranty.

You can check the Knox and Warranty Void status by going into Download mode. If it shows 0x0, it's ok. If it shows 0x1 or anything else, Knox and warranty are invalid.

Thank you for answer. I didn't think that I lost Knox support because my samsung smartphone is rooted.

I put smartphone in download mode (can't create screenshort in this mode).

Download mode shows me:
Odin Mode
Download Speed: fast
Product name: SM-A510F
Current binary: custom
System status: custom
FAP Lock: off
Secure Download:Enabled
Warranty Void: 1 (0x020c)
RP swrev B:8 K:3 S:4

I lost Knox support, right?
Can I ask If Lucky Patcher is malware what is the better way to delete system app and theirs permissions? I see that All my apps have the same permissions including read and delete information, making calls, sending sms etc. That's why I was thinking that Knox is disabled because smartphone compromised. Maybe it's better to delete apps and permissions in Android SDK? I have this suite on my laptop, but never used it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for answer. I didn't think that I lost Knox support because my samsung smartphone is rooted.

Current binary: custom
System status: custom
FAP Lock: off
Secure Download:Enabled
Warranty Void: 1 (0x020c)
RP swrev B:8 K:3 S:4

I lost Knox support, right?
Can I ask If Lucky Patcher is malware what is the better way to delete system app and theirs permissions? I see that All my apps have the same permissions including read and delete information, making calls, sending sms etc. That's why I was thinking that Knox is disabled because smartphone compromised. Maybe it's better to delete apps and permissions in Android SDK? I have this suite on my laptop, but never used it.
yep you are rooted and thus do not have knox......it is a known issue with rooted samsung devices. also you will not be able to use any banking apps as well.

Upvote 0
That's why I was thinking that Knox is disabled because smartphone compromised.
As far as Knox is concerned the process of rooting compromises the phone. As others have said, the Knox flag was tripped by rooting, and by design there is no way of undoing that.

From a security point of view they are correct: since root gives you the ability to grant administrator privileges to any app, which then gives you the ability to add, remove or modify system apps and any app's data, the phone is less secure. If you can do these things so can any malware app you might unwittingly install. So while you should always be careful about security, it's more important if you are rooted.

And if you could reset the Knox flag then a bad actor could do this as well: modify a phone, reset the Knox flag, then the victim could use the phone for their personal banking or corporate business with nobody knowing that it was compromised. That's why it's designed without a reset facility.

When I used to root my phones I either used Titanium Backup Pro to remove unwanted apps or (more commonly) edited the ROM before installing it to remove stuff I wasn't interested in (because I generally used custom ROMs rather than just rooting stock software). But if Lucky Patcher works for you then fine: as has been said, the problem with that app is that some people use it for things which violate the forum rules, which means that we generally are reluctant to help with it (I wouldn't know how anyway, as I've never used it).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[QUOTE="When I used to root my phones I either used Titanium Backup Pro to remove unwanted apps or (more commonly) edited the ROM before installing it [/QUOTE]

Thank you for information! I see why forum members don't like Lucky Patcher. It helps me on 30%. I wanted to delete some google services and ipv6 module, but couldn' t see the ability to do that in Lucky Patcher. I tried to remove ipv6 from sys/module folder in twrp but got an error1. Could you tell me if I can do that in Titanium Pro ? Or maybe it's better to edit ROM. What programm I should use for that. It first task for me in that area. Now I like in the dark:)

Upvote 0
Lucky patcher isn't unsafe to have on your phone as far as I know. People on this site do not like the app because it was commonly used to get free in app purchases from the Google Play store. I don't know if this still works or not but the app does also have some legitimate uses as well.

I found that Lucky Patcher is easy, but not good enough for full editing of system apps.

Upvote 0
Why are you trying to remove IPv6 modules? I don't see any benefit and it could break things, so doesn't seem worth the risk to me.

I never tried to do that particular operation in Titanium, and no longer have a phone I could use to check. For Google modules, I never went further than removing some Google apps that I had no interest in. I have played with a completely Google-free phone, but did that by installing an AOSP (Android Open Source Project) based ROM that didn't contain Google stuff in the first place rather than trying to unpick Google from a ROM that includes them. I'd suggest being aware of the possible consequences before removing anything (e.g. a third party navigation app is still likely to be using Google's fused location service, so if you remove something that depends on you may find some apps stop working).

I would stress that rule #1 is you use a custom recovery to back up your ROM before you change anything at all in the system: if you remove something that actually turns out to be important you need a means or restoring it. Remove the wrong thing and the phone may crash or even be unable to boot (and in the worst case it might seem OK until you next restart it!). And I do mean anything at all: the first time I got my phone into a bootloop was when making a tiny cosmetic tweak in the ROM, nothing more.

As for how I'd edit a ROM, a custom ROM you would install using a custom recovery is not a binary image but a zip file. So I'd simply use a tool that can edit zip files and remove things I didn't want before installing (and I'd do this stuff on a computer, far more practical than trying to do it on a phone).

Reactions: AnnDevice
Upvote 0
Why are you trying to remove IPv6 modules? I don't see any benefit and it could break things, so doesn't seem worth the risk to me .

Thank you for detailed answer! I followed all your advices: created backup with TWRP and now downloading ROM zip file. I will edit it on PC.

Yes, I am afraid to crash my system. But I want to delete ipv6 module because I found some strange activity in my local network. I found that I use 40GB per mounth. It's too much, I only read a few article per day. And lost my battery very fast. I think, ipv4 is enough for me and more safe for my smartphone.

Now I search where ipv6 can be phisically located in system files.

I understood that at first, I need reset system in TWRP (complitelly delete all system files) and after that push "Install" button and choose my custom zip file with edited ROM. So..I will try:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones