1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Knox has one big advantage - I kinda like it

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Gomjaba, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Android Enthusiast

This is obviously not the thread for people who root and are annoyed about locked bootloader. I have been there, done that etc., but essentially always go back to stock for stability ..

Aaaanyway .. so Knox in 4.3 .. I noticed one big advantage of it. As some may know, Knox is basically a sandboxed environment on your android - like a virtual machine, with its own credentials.

I have a personal Exchange Server which doesn't require a password lock of your phone for security reason.

My company however does require it. And to be honest, I hate the password lock so I basically refused to setup my company Exchange account on my personal phone and just used OWA if and when required.

However, due to the sandboxed / password secured nature of Knox - you can leave your phone unlocked and just password protect Knox (well, its mandatory anyway). Inside of Knox you can then setup Exchange with all its security features and it stays where it is.

What I don't know (and don't want to test) yet, is whether a phone wipe initiated from a Knox Exchange account actually just wipes the Knox system or the whole phone.

There are a few bugs - or maybe features - we shall see once 4.3 is final - that is launcher.

Knox seem to have its own launcher and resets the defaults. So every now and then (hence the guess of a bug), I get kicked to Touchwiz rather than Nova Prime - or in my case Nova Prime and Locker Pro (Locker Pro comes with its own launcher interface in order to overwrite homebutton behavior - so Locker Pro kicks of Nova basically).

The only fix I found so far is starting Nova manually and set it yet again as default (or Locker Pro in that case).

As for mail notifications - you still get them in your notification bar - you don't need to open Knox to know whether you got a mail or not.

Edit:

Advertisement

2. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert

Knox is samsungs way of making the phone more marketable to enterprises and maybe even governments. The problem is that it takes rooting and installing ROMs will be a thing of the past on this phone. So unfortunately, this will probably be my last galaxy s phone, after owning every single one so far.

3. Gomjaba

Like I say - 'root' is a different thing but what makes you think other companies won't do it as well so they can appeal to the enterprise?

4. CrimsonPride

some probably will, but thats the good thing with android, not all of them will. I could see Sony or Motorola easily taking the developer community. And then there are nexus phones, and Cyanogen having official hardware, there will always be some way to get a phone that appeals to the development community. What samsung could do is release an enterprise edition of their phones that has Knox and locked bootloaders, but they wont. If anything they will release a developer edition, that isnt subsidized by carriers in the US, and that will cut back by a huge portion the people who have access to the phone, and will pretty much kill off their development community, which made the galaxy S line the largest selling android phone by far. I dont see that continuing for too long, it will be the best selling phone for a while, but that margin will narrow very quickly i truly believe

5. Gomjaba

Maybe that was the actual idea behind the Google Edition of the S4. Or does that have the locked boot loader too (its on 4.3 already isn't it?)

6. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert

CrimsonPride said about Knox:

Not true, it's only detrimental effect is having a locked bootloader and tripping what is believed to be an efuse when rooted. This sets a "Knox flag" to 0x01 (as apposed to 0x0) rendering the phone useless for BYOD (Bring Your Own Device), enterprise and security/military purposes.

In a nutshell it makes it harder to Root, and if we do it "breaks" Knox (hardware wise - the efuse), makes Samsung aware we've flashed thus invalidating any warranty, and does not allow a rooter to get their device back to a "fresh out of the box" state.

I personally was livid about this, but having calmed down, if the above is all it does (and there is nothing official from Samsung), I say who cares I'll root any way.

7. CrimsonPride

Here is some more information about it from chainfire
    https://plus.google.com/+Chainfire/posts/LCfF5A9fsTG

And unless things are different, even from how it was with the s4, which now has locked bootloaders which cannot be unlocked on 2 US variants, I will sadly be changing from the galaxy s line. I came very close to getting the Sony Xperia Z but it was not available at the time I upgraded, I will likely upgrade to a Sony phone next

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews