1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Knox Security

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lotus49, Dec 15, 2013.

1. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert

My S4 has an eFuse and once one of the more recent firmwares is installed (which fortunately is not the case with mine), rooting or installing a custom ROM will blow the eFuse meaning it won't be possible to reinstall the stock firmware.

Does the Note 10.1 2014 have an eFuse and a locked bootloader with Knox?

I don't imagine that third party ROMs would support the S Pen so I am unlikely to be installing one of these but I shall want to root my Note 10.1.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

The 2014 Note 10.1 also has Knox, but apparently not the locked bootloader the Note III appears to have.

3. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert

After I posted this I found a thread on xda-developers about it. Sadly it appears that it's currently not possible to root your P600 without blowing the efuse :-(.

This is pretty disappointing as I want to play games on my Note using my PS3 controller and the software that makes that work (SixAxis) requires root.

4. colchiro

I have the p600 and rooted it and installed a custom recovery, which trips Knox. An update came out, which failed because my device was modified and it didn't like it. Using Odin, I flashed an older version of the rom (w/o wiping) and was able to get the OTA to the latest version, then rooted again. YMMV.

5. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert

That's both interesting and surprising.

My understanding was that once the efuse was blown it wasn't possible to install a stock ROM. That is certainly the case on the S4. I wonder why the Note is different. On my S4, I shan't be installing a stock ROM again unless I sell it but I shall probably keep the stock ROM on my Note. Partly because there is likely to be a lot less choice than with the S4 but also because I want to keep the S Pen functionality, which may not be fully available in custom ROMs.

I'm still reluctant to blow my efuse. I don't like the idea of making irreversible changes but doing so may be the lesser of two evils.

6. colchiro

I think I heard the 4.3 update for the Note 2 will have a locked bootloader as well. It may have to do with Verizon/T-Mobile/etc wanting it.