1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Korean SMS problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ParaGuy, Jul 23, 2011.

1. ParaGuy

ParaGuy Lurker
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    Hello, I own the Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V and I and several of my friends have been trying to SMS Korean back in forth. I thought the problem was with the keyboard as I was using Google Korean IME so I switched to Smart Keyboard Pro. I tried to SMS a Korean message to my friend with an IPhone but they just receive a bunch of question marks and random punctuation marks. This happens both with Google IME and Smart Keyboard Pro. I also have tried to SMS a friend with the exact same phone and he gets the same thing. He also has Smart Keyboard Pro installed. (When I text him he gets garbage, when he texts me, I get garbage) However, my friend says he can type to another person and they receive the Korean SMS. Is there something that I am missing here? Is this a well known bug with this phone/carrier? I have found many results of people having this problem but I have not been able to find a solution.
    Thanks

Advertisement

2. tli

tli Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    I've no idea as to what the problem might be, or even how to troubleshoot this problem, since I don't text other than in English. However, I do notice that in the Send Settings for my SMS app, Handcent, there's an option for Korean SMS mode along with other language options. If you're using the default SMS app, you might try Handcent and see if this might work for you.

3. raynoldsk

raynoldsk Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 4, 2011
    Pug momma
    inside my head
    I think there was a thread about Korean characters and texting a couple of months ago. You might try scrolling back through or use the search feature.

No idea if it was resolved or not, but I would check out Handcent if I were you, like tli said.

4. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    Isn't this an iPhone issue with the weird characters? I thought I read something about it being an issue with that phone. I could be way off though.. try the forum search to narrow it down.

5. melim

melim Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    It is. Any character that the iphone doesn't support will show up as gibberish. (Korean characters aren't "weird" BTW. :p)

But then there's the issue of ParaGuy not being able to send Korean txts to a friend who also has an OpV (I think, unless I'm reading that incorrectly), and that friend being able to send them fine to another person... Let's see, ParaGuy, is your friend using the same SMS app as you, and what phone/SMS app does your friend's friend have? Start there and you may be able to find a solution to the problem. Even if you try Handcent, say, if your friend isn't using it also it still may not work. Could be that your friend and his friend are using the same SMS app just by chance.

And I would like to point out the irony of not being able send Korean txts on an LG phone. Yeah, yeah this one is made for the US market, but still...

6. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
Tags: