1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Kosher Rules?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Spoggy, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Spoggy

Spoggy Newbie

For a school project I have to put together a Kosher menu. If anyone could tell me the rules (preferably someone who follows them) that'd be great thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. swagner53

swagner53 Android Enthusiast

No pork-- actually all meat must be from an animal with split hoofs. No shellfish-- fish must have scales. You cannot mix meat with dairy products-i.e. no cheeseburger.

click here for more info.

Spoggy likes this.
  3. Spoggy

Spoggy Newbie

So do you mean only animals with split hooves AND animals (except from pork) without hooves or JUST animals with split hooves?

4. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

It's animals with split hooves that chew their cud. Pigs have split hooves, but no cud.
    I suppose venison would be OK.
    Also if it is from water - and doesn't have scales or swim , that's a no-go, too. No lobster, oysters, whatever.
    Also dishes are usually separate. I had friends whose family kept kosher, and I'd wind up drinking from the faucet since I couldn't figure out which side of the kitchen to get a glass from. There was one set of dishes for milk and one for meat.
    Z

5. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

You don't put butter/milk on the table if you are serving meat, either. If you have some kind of vegetable casserole only, you can.

Just as an aside, with a multicultural, multireligious, neighborhood and kids with allergies, it can get confusing. Everyone gets along with no problem, but when you are handing out snacks to kids, you do need to know who gets what and who doesn't.