1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Kudos to ICS/GN on Voice Recognition

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by john30308, Feb 1, 2012.

1. john30308

john30308 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Two months with the phone and daily I'm still blown away by how well ICS and the Nexus work together for voice recognition and dictation. It's always worked pretty well in Android, but ICS absolutely nails it. Now that it processes simultaneously with your speaking and doesn't wait until you're finished to begin the work, it's so, so functional. You can actually pause and think of what else you're going to say instead of having to practically rehearse the sentence ahead of time. Android has always done voice dictation for texts fairly well, but now even several sentences in emails works great. Perhaps my favorite ICS improvement.

Advertisement

2. rfeagan

rfeagan Lurker
    None

Oct 6, 2011
    Could not agree more. I can't believe this feature doesn't get more recognition/press.

3. eaknet

eaknet Newbie
    None

Feb 17, 2012
    Biotech SalesC
    Southern California
    I agree. I fell for the Siri function of iOS, and used a 4s for a while. The voice recognition worked about half the time, and Siri became basically worthless.

Now I am on a GN, and like the OP I am also blown away. Kudos to Google.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

4. Thats

Thats That guy is This
    None

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    Air Force
    Fargo, ND
    Honestly, I want to try and show this to my friends with 4S's, but then I realize it's not worth the trouble. Android has my heart just like Siri has theirs. Great post! I'm amazed at how great this phone is.

5. truelove79

truelove79 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 12, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    Peoria, IL
    Rule #1: Never, EVER, show a cool Android feature to an iFan. No matter how awesome and useful it is, they will dismiss it as useless and unnecessary. Then when Apple inevitably steals it from Android, they will say it's awesome and revolutionary (notification bar, multi-tasking, voice to text, etc.). I've stopped discussing mobile technology with iFans completely. They lived in a walled garden and refuse to see the value in anything not Apple. Every once in a great while you'll run across an iPhone user that loves technology in general (like the Woz) and enjoys talking about the pros and cons of all devices, but in general iPhone users are close minded sheep that think Apple can do no wrong.

I showed my new Gnex to my bro (an iPhone user) and told him the browser on the Gnex is actually faster than Safari on the iPhone (given equal data speeds). Later that evening we were trying to look up something on the net (guitar tabs), and he insisted that he do it because he could find it faster because the iPhone is "just easier to use". Nevermind all browsers basically function the same regardless of the OS, the Nexus has a bigger screen with a higher res, and I already told him it was faster. I beat him to it and we ended up viewing it on my phone anyway because we could see more of the page due to the high res of the Gnex.

Before the Gnex came along the iPhone had many advantages over an Android phone. Reliability, ease of use, better quality apps (I'm only counting apps that are both iOS and Android), more apps, performance, the beauty of the OS, better screen, etc. Now all it has is better quality apps and that is becoming less and less true these days. ICS+Gnex trumps iOS+iPhone in every other category.

jmar and Thats like this.
  6. Thats

Thats That guy is This
    None

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    Air Force
    Fargo, ND
    I believe that the Galaxy Nexus is THE Smartphone on the market right now. I hope it comes to all carriers soon so that everyone can get it.

7. rfeagan

rfeagan Lurker
    None

Oct 6, 2011
    Is there any chance the ICS "ongoing" voice typing could be ported back to gingerbread? I'm on a VZW razr maxx and don't want to wait for official ICS...

8. BiggestManEver

None

Jul 7, 2010
    Tell Siri to "Navigate to Disneyland" and you'll get a static map with directions on it.

Tell ICS to "Navigate to Disneyland" and you'll get turn by turn navigation dictated by the navigation lady, for free, out of the box.

**** YOU SIRI

9. Gunner

Gunner Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    @OP: Indeed, this was the most attention grabbing feature for me, as I already do a lot of voice dictation for work. More than anything else, this is what made me grab a GN on launch day.

10. truelove79

None

Feb 12, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    Peoria, IL
    I watched a demo of Siri given by an Apple empoyee when it was first announced. He kept saying how revolutionary and magical it was. Here are the main demos he gave along with their Android counterparts:

Siri: "Give me directions to the hoover dam"
    Android: "Directions to hoover dam" or if you want turn by turn "Navigate to hoover damn"

Siri: "Wake me up at 6 am"
    Android: "Set alarm for 6 am"

Siri: "Find me a qreek restaurant in Palo Alto"
    Android: "Map of greek restaurants in Palo Alto"

Siri: "Search Wikipedia for Neil Armstrong"
    Android: "Go to wikipedia Neil Armstrong"

So yeah, Siri, not so magical. Android users have been able to do 90% of what Siri does for the past year and a half. Hey, but at least it has a sexy female voice right? :rolleyes:

11. dhworph

dhworph Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 21, 2011
    Well, Siri has more entertainment value since it talks back and can answer some funny questions. Also, I wish android could set calendar events with voice commands.

I hope Majel comes out soon!

12. truelove79

None

Feb 12, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    Peoria, IL
    +1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been saying that for the past year or more. In the google calendar webapp they have that "quick add" drop down where you can type stuff in to create an appointment like "dinner tonight at 5" or "meeting every wednesday at 8 am" and stuff like that. They could easily do that with voice commands by having you start your command with "New Appointment..."
    or something like that.

13. Jedi54

Jedi54 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    I just wish the voice recognition worked better on ICS through bluetooth. Every time I try and ask it to do something, it gives me the most RANDOM response.

It's okay, I'm sure they'll patch it.

Tags: