• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Kyocera Rise/ Public Mobile

I have done this and no lick I even went as far to pay for it. $7- well worth it if it worked. It sets up right and I can see it on another device but it will not connect... FYI my phone provider (PUBLIC MOBILE) has gone and removed the Portable Hotspot icon from the phone and blocked it. I heard a few folks got it done so they can use the portable hotspot but I think it was only VIA root.

Upvote 0
Well clearly it is not as I have made several attempts and failed... I am needing more help then a few short words. If anyone who has rooted a Kyocera can help me with this I would be very thankful. Maybe a guide or something but I have download and installed a few apps that were said to root for me and I also have done a few requiring me to install on my mac and root that way. Still no luck. I had researched this on youtube no luck and now I am stepping here for further assistance.

Upvote 0
I rooted the other day with no problem. download the Kyocera Rise driver for your OS. (32 bit or 64). Download the latest version of bin4ry's root method, unzip it with 7zip. Run the runme, press one then enter. Then press restore on your Rise. let it reboot. Once booted. Download superuser from the play store, then open up supersu (app that was added with bin4ry's method. And change the access to allow instead of prompt. Do the same for superuser if there's an option. Then download root checker to check for root. Good luck.

Upvote 0
I rooted the other day with no problem. download the Kyocera Rise driver for your OS. (32 bit or 64). Download the latest version of bin4ry's root method, unzip it with 7zip. Run the runme, press one then enter. Then press restore on your Rise. let it reboot. Once booted. Download superuser from the play store, then open up supersu (app that was added with bin4ry's method. And change the access to allow instead of prompt. Do the same for superuser if there's an option. Then download root checker to check for root. Good luck.

Actually, you should not use the latest version. Use the version in this link [GUIDE] Root your Kyocera Rise! - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com and you will be able to have prompt access, which is so much better than always allowing root access. Also, you should never have both supersu and superuser installed at the same time, unless you install one to replace the other. It can cause major wonkiness with your root.

Upvote 0
I have followed the advice given and after installing Rise Driver for my 64bit system I clicked Run Me as I was advised and I get a black box with green writing saying.

Checking if I should run in Normal Mode or special Sony Mode
Please connect your device with USB-Debugging enabled now

I have had USB-debugging enabled and looked again still on. I had a different set of words first time but It never did the restore thing and never went far.

I will try to restore my phone now to see if a fresh restore with nothing on it will work first!

Upvote 0
Hello I have tried many times to ROOT my Krocera Rise with no luck I have done all things I have seen here and on other sites with no luck.
C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\Rise\stuff>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached

I am seeing in device manager the yellow ! by two Kyocera USB modem even after I have installed my 64-Bit drivers as instructed. Then I read I need to manually update by way of Device Manager as I seen someone say.

1) Before installing the 64bit driver, uninstall any old Kyocera USB driver, then reboot
2) Install the 64bit driver, reboot
3) Connect Phone to PC, but still the same old "driver not found message"
4) Go to "Device Manager", find the Kyocera USB device with yellow mark warning sign, and update the driver
5) on the "update driver" menu, select the "Browse my computer for driver software"
---> "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
--->"USB Controller"
---->"Kyocera Corp"
---->"Kyocera USB Modem KC02S"
But when I do this I get 2 more yellow ! saying ( Unknown Device ) right after I update the Kyocera Rise USB modem drivers. I switched USB ports cables and another PC to make sure...

I am lost here I have been at this for a few days reading and hoping and plunging away! I was told also I needed to do ##DIAG# and enable it I also tried the *#*#service#*#*. I done that as well with no luck. I have ran everything in admin mode as well.

Debugging is ON and I do have Unknown Sources on.

Kyocera Rise
Public Mobile

Upvote 0
Well I have made many different attemps at this with no luck. I can nto get my device to show up and windows 7 64 bit here is not loading drivers! I opened CMD as admin then went to my rise\stuff folder and typed adb devices and it shows no device. I have al;so done the RUNME.bat on both admin and normal to see if I could get it and no luck... Still stuck here. :-(

Upvote 0
I tell ya I can not get this to work the driver that is... I am each time I update driver on auto it can not find even after I have installed them it still shows up in device manager with yellow ! so I do manual update and do UBS controller and then Kyocera Corp. and it installs and then I do the other the same way. Once I do that I get 2 more Unknown Devices showing up and I was told to just keep installing the drivers I am now at 6 KYOCERA USB Composite Device KC02US in system list... Please help me I am not new to computers here... Maybe missing a step? I have installed and tested drivers from many sites Kyocera's ones first and others from other forums wiht on luck.

Upvote 0
I tell ya I can not get this to work the driver that is... I am each time I update driver on auto it can not find even after I have installed them it still shows up in device manager with yellow ! so I do manual update and do UBS controller and then Kyocera Corp. and it installs and then I do the other the same way. Once I do that I get 2 more Unknown Devices showing up and I was told to just keep installing the drivers I am now at 6 KYOCERA USB Composite Device KC02US in system list... Please help me I am not new to computers here... Maybe missing a step? I have installed and tested drivers from many sites Kyocera's ones first and others from other forums wiht on luck.

I'm not sure just how much help I'll be as I'm on Linux right now. I do know the other day that I plugged my phone into a computer I had never used before, and Win7 installed a driver for it and saw it as a mass storage device.

Now for questions:
1) What OS are you using?
2) Does you computer see it as a storage device at all?
3) Does you phone prompt you to select Charge Only, Mass Storage, or Media?

Solutions?
1) Try removing the KC02US entries first.
2) Try uninstalling any Kyocera driver
3) Plug you phone in after uninstalling drivers, what does it do?

Upvote 0
1) Win 7 64-Bit
2) Yes it brings up the view storage folder option
3) Yes

1) Done
2) Done
3) In device manager under other devices 2 Yellow ! show up both named KYOCERA USB Modem

Okay, not sure why it's doing that. Are you 100% positive that debugging is enabled? When you plug the phone in, do you get a debugging message in the notifications area?

Have you followed this guide?
[GUIDE] Root your Kyocera Rise! - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

What happens if you run the script? Also, do you have adb setup locally on your machine, or are you using the adb provided with the rooting script?

When I get on my Windows install tomorrow, I'll play around a bit to see what my system does, as I also have Win7 64bit

Upvote 0
100% my USB debugging is ON or Enabled. As far as a message showing up in the notification area yes I pull it down and it says "USB debugging connected". Then under that says "select to disable USB-debugging". Yes I followed said guide!

Well right now it says after I press # 1 it then says: Checking if I should run in Normal Mode or special Sony Mode Please Connect your device with USB-Debugging enabled now. Which it IS...

As far as adb setup locally I never have seen anything about that. I did the runme.bat and only after I tried to do the drivers. I did however do something I was reading that I should have to see if my device was connected. I read that I should open start then type CMD and run as ADMIN then go to my C:\users\USERNAME\desktop\rise\stuff and then type adb devices but no device is listed. I have a MAC but Mac book air but I can not seem to find how to do it VIA my mac.

Upvote 0
Well my only reason to ROOT is because I can not share my internet with any devices. My company removed and blocked portable hot spot. I have tried FoxFI no luck and tried a few others even tried USB tethering!... No luck so someone said rooting would solve that for me.

Most root apps (all that I know of anyways) require root. Its just the way it is

Upvote 0
Okay, not sure why it's doing that. Are you 100% positive that debugging is enabled? When you plug the phone in, do you get a debugging message in the notifications area?

Have you followed this guide?
[GUIDE] Root your Kyocera Rise! - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

What happens if you run the script? Also, do you have adb setup locally on your machine, or are you using the adb provided with the rooting script?

When I get on my Windows install tomorrow, I'll play around a bit to see what my system does, as I also have Win7 64bit

I am hoping you can save me here. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones