• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

lack of accessories

c64

Nov 6, 2009
Why are accessories so scarce.Eris has been out since 11/6.You would figure at least batteries and charging docks would be available. Also with the eris just being a re-branded hero, you would think there would be abundance of accessories. i can understand the droid,because its a completely new device. I know I could just do my research and find out what batteries and docks are compatible, but i don't think i should have to.When i bought the samsung omnia i had no problem finding batteries and docks.

Its seems like it was a rushed launch, but they been talking about this since the beginning of the year.

You answered your own question: it's only been out since 11/6. It's not exactly the same as the Hero which I assume is the reason on the lag. I have seen folks on this and other forums say that the 1750mah Hero battery is compatible, though.

I don't remember not being able to get at least charging accessories on all the phones i had.

The only thing holding me back from getting the 1750mah is the cover not fitting completely.

Upvote 0
^Exactly.

I don't remember not being able to get at least charging accessories on all the phones i had.

The only thing holding me back from getting the 1750mah is the cover not fitting completely.
There ARE charging accessories. Verizon has them, Ebay has them (I just got some yesterday), other sources have them.

My understanding, though I have no personal experience, is that it does fit. Maybe someone will confirm this?

Upvote 0
You will not see a bunch of accessories for a device like the Eris pop up the day the phone comes out or even in the first month. The companies that usually make accessories get access to the phones about the same time that we do, so they take a little time to come out. The stuff that Verizon is offering were commissioned by Verizon I am sure. So those manufacturers had access to the phone a little early.

Keep in mind that the Eris is on one carrier in one country. Phones like the Curve, iPhone, Storm, Treo, Hero (original) etc are typically available on many carriers in many countries and the accessory market is much bigger. The iPhone is actually a unique accessory whore unto itself and we will probably never see the same volume of accessories for any other device. There are accessories out there for the Eris and more will come out as demand arises, but right now the demand really isn't there. If you think about it from a manufacturing stand point, why would you make anything? You would be making a bunch of items that a smaller group of people may or may not buy. Not a very sound investment really. Especially when you can make the same thing for the iPhone and most likely sell at least enough to cover the cost. Top all that off with the fact that HTC isn't really in the accessory business and you can begin to see the problem. Like I said, there is stuff out there. The following list took me all of 3 minutes to find and I really didn't look all that hard.

Case
Car Mount
Case
Screen protector
Desk Charger
Case
Skins
Pouch
Charger Combo
Case + Car Charger
Case/Charger Combo
Case Charger Combo
Stylus
Case
Case
Stylus
Leather Case
Combo Charger
Leather Case
Skin Case
Skin Case
Skin Case
Skin Case
Skin Case
Car Mount
Leather Pouch
Stylus
Car Mount
Leather Pouch
Car Mount
Extended Battery (kinda)
Desktop Charger

Upvote 0
I like this one that ofthedamned posted above better than the Seidio charger:

USB Docking Cradle w/ Bat Slot for HTC Hero DROID Eris - eBay (item 350284508980 end time Nov-30-09 12:42:29 PST)

I think i'll be getting that one myself.

I wonder if this one would work, too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Charger-Cradle-Dock-w-2nd-Battery-Slot-for-HTC-Hero_W0QQitemZ390116764260QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPDA_Accessories?hash=item5ad4c56a64

Upvote 0
You will not see a bunch of accessories for a device like the Eris pop up the day the phone comes out or even in the first month. The companies that usually make accessories get access to the phones about the same time that we do, so they take a little time to come out. The stuff that Verizon is offering were commissioned by Verizon I am sure. So those manufacturers had access to the phone a little early.

Keep in mind that the Eris is on one carrier in one country. Phones like the Curve, iPhone, Storm, Treo, Hero (original) etc are typically available on many carriers in many countries and the accessory market is much bigger. The iPhone is actually a unique accessory whore unto itself and we will probably never see the same volume of accessories for any other device. There are accessories out there for the Eris and more will come out as demand arises, but right now the demand really isn't there. If you think about it from a manufacturing stand point, why would you make anything? You would be making a bunch of items that a smaller group of people may or may not buy. Not a very sound investment really. Especially when you can make the same thing for the iPhone and most likely sell at least enough to cover the cost. Top all that off with the fact that HTC isn't really in the accessory business and you can begin to see the problem. Like I said, there is stuff out there. The following list took me all of 3 minutes to find and I really didn't look all that hard.

Case
Car Mount
Case
Screen protector
Desk Charger
Case
Skins
Pouch
Charger Combo
Case + Car Charger
Case/Charger Combo
Case Charger Combo
Stylus
Case
Case
Stylus
Leather Case
Combo Charger
Leather Case
Skin Case
Skin Case
Skin Case
Skin Case
Skin Case
Car Mount
Leather Pouch
Stylus
Car Mount
Leather Pouch
Car Mount
Extended Battery (kinda)
Desktop Charger

Like I said on my original complaint, again,"batteries and charging docks". i know about the car and wall charger and all of the tacky accessories.

I also don't want to experiment with accessories or batteries that "kind of works". I'm not trying to start a complaint thread just expressing my opinion and I don't think its asking too much to to have the BASIC accessories available at launch. I'm not asking for a combo boom box charging station, just a extra or bigger capacity battery and cradle.AGAIN BASIC:thinking:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones