• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lack of Physical keyboard

Moved from a curve to DInc and I do not miss the keyboard... AND THEN I INSTALLED SWYPE!

I used to turn the DInc sideways (landscape??) and since I installed SWYPE I keep her vertical.
That's the biggest thing about swype for me. I couldn't do very well with the stock keyboard in portrait at all. Landscape with 2 hands, I was pretty fast. But, the ability to type fast with one hand and to keep the phone in portrait is really nice.

I came from a Touch Pro with a good (except for the silly layout) phyiscal keyboard and I was still faster on that than swype, but, with swype, I'm happy I made the tradeoff of giving up the keyboard for a smaller phone.

Upvote 0
My last phone was a Voyager (don't laugh) and I liked the keyboard.

My wife got the Moto Droid back when it was released. I really wanted one at the time, and the physical keyboard was a major reason. But when I started playing around with her phone I found that I liked the virtual keyboard much, much better than the physical keyboard. Granted, the physical keyboard on that particular phone sucks, but the experience lead me to not hesitate in getting an Incredible.

And, honestly, I haven't missed a keyboard once since getting Swype. That app is going to redefine how people enter text on mobile devices. Seriously, it's that good.

Upvote 0
If I download swype now will I still be able to put it on my phone. According to the site it says they will send it to my email.
It's just important that you got registered with Swype for the beta account. When you get your phone, the link in the email allow you to download the Installer. The installer will use your login credentials (that you submitted when signing up for the beta) to download the Swype app/keyboard itself. As well, leave the installer on your phone as eventually the version you have of Swype will expire and you'll use it to install a newer version. (this is intentional to control which versions are floating in the wild)

Upvote 0
Lack of a physical kb was almost the linchpin in me holding out for a different phone.
Got the Incredible on launch day and haven't missed the kb for a second - my wife still uses her moto-droid but frequently uses my Inc in the car because it's actually easier to type. Don't waste a second on worrying over the lack of a physical keyboard on the Inc, it's a non-issue...

FWIW, I'm FAR faster on my Inc than I was on my last 2 phones - both of which had hardware kb's...

Upvote 0
Here's another convert story... this is the 4th HTC phone I've owned, following the PPC-6700, PPC-6800/Mogul, and Touch Pro. I had myself so convinced I needed the hardware keyboard... until I tried the Incredible. I'd never go back now. And I use my Incredible mostly for work related things, typing out long emails and managing a few servers using Remote Desktop, so I'm particular about the keyboard.

It's just better :D

Upvote 0
Every time my friend gives me her Moto Droid to fix or set up a program, I always find myself using the stock android keyboard. She always asks why I never just take the QWERTY keyboard out. Habit I guess :x

I'm the same way with my GF's Ally. The only reason I even open the keyboard is to use the D-pad (I find myself furiously/fruitlessly swiping the lg logo where the optical trackpad should be).

Ok, not quite the same. I have her using slideIT (alot worse than swype and Shapewriter, but they're both in closed beta)

Upvote 0
HI I was just wondering, how everyone does without a physical keyboard on the Incredible. I am really interested in this phone but I am hesitant because it only has the virtual keyboard.

I have had the storm and also the lg dare and sold them because I just couldn't get used to not having a physical keyboard.

I just wanted to know if anyone else felt that way and got it anyways and how it's working for you. Thanks, Shellster

I came from a BB Storm and I like the keyboard on the Incredible a lot better and became accustomed very quickly.

And I wouldn't suggest Swype, nor do I believe that it's faster/more efficient than typing the correct way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones