• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

lack of rom?

RAM (random access memory) is where programs that are being used currently by the processor to run the program are held. This clears when you lose power or shut down the computer.

ROM (read only memory) is where all programs on your computer are stored till needed. This is the hard drive; items stay stored here until you remove them.

Upvote 0
This doesn't sound promising

"
The HTC uses Qualcomm’s second generation 1GHz Snapdragon QSD8255 CPU with a whopping 768 megs of RAM. The phone has 4 gigs of internal storage but only a bit over a gig is free for your use. As with the HTC T-Mobile G2, the Inspire has rather a large ROM that self restores if need be, and this uses a good deal of the internal flash storage. AT&T includes an 8 gig microSD card that’s pre-installed in the phone and you can use a higher capacity card if you wish."

only a bit over a gig? how is that even going to make it with a lot of apps? Sounds dissappointing! Someone change my mind as I am really looking forward to the phone but the battery and this make me hesitant

Upvote 0
This doesn't sound promising

"
The HTC uses Qualcomm’s second generation 1GHz Snapdragon QSD8255 CPU with a whopping 768 megs of RAM. The phone has 4 gigs of internal storage but only a bit over a gig is free for your use. As with the HTC T-Mobile G2, the Inspire has rather a large ROM that self restores if need be, and this uses a good deal of the internal flash storage. AT&T includes an 8 gig microSD card that’s pre-installed in the phone and you can use a higher capacity card if you wish."

only a bit over a gig? how is that even going to make it with a lot of apps? Sounds dissappointing! Someone change my mind as I am really looking forward to the phone but the battery and this make me hesitant

Out of the 2GB I have on my captivate I have 1.68 left and I have alot of apps. I also don't believe this statement. The desire HD has only 1GB of ram on the phone and it has the same sense etc etc.

Upvote 0
Can't certain apps be stored on the SD card in 2.2?

only one hopes! Coming from a iphone, i have installed apps on it that were 100mb or even larger! If droid apps are just as big, this may be a deal breaker if apps can't be stored on the sd card. Just doesn't make sense to have such a small amount of available storage. I read somewhere that a desire user had pop ups on his phone gripping about lack of storage months after he posted. I'm a noob so hopefully will set me straight and help me regain hope.

Upvote 0
rom = random operating memory?

How does it differ from RAM?

Seriously?

We learned that in 7th grade......in 1987!

What are they teaching in schools these days?

ROM-Read only memory
RAm Random Access Memory.

ROM=Internal storage
RAM= Info preloaded into fast access memory for quick read/writes usage so that the cpu does not have to sit idle while info is slowly searched for and pulled out of data storage.

For a better explanation do a search for each term.

Ok where do i even begin?

The Inspire has 12Gigs of ROM...so you can install all the 100mb apps you want. If you run out, you can simply upgrade to a larger Micro SD card (up to 32G of ROM)..which would give you a total of 36G of ROM.

it has 768mgs of RAM. Most windows XP machines only came with 128-256mgs of ram. 512 to 1G were considered "High end" on windows XP.

Windows Vista went from about 1G up to about 4G (but a 32 bit enviromnet cant support more than that really). so Win 7-64bit Bit can support even more. It can address up to 64G with a sweet spot around 8g of ram (thats what i run with)

Now...as i said...winxp had less ram than this phone had for the most part.

It is MORE than enough for the cpu to swap currently usage memory into and out of.

Just because an app is 100mb ROM DOES NOT MEAN it takes 100mb of RAM to run it.

Geeze!

The average video game now is several gigabytes in size but it they only require about 2-4G to run (and thats for HIGH END GAMES LIKE THE NEWEST CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS).

Size of the TOTAL APP has NOTHING TO DO with the amount of ram it needs to run.....90% - 98% of the program/app sits in ROM as storage.

Read/write time and I/O functions are one area where the dual cores will beat the single...BUT not until the software comes out to utilize the functions. The second generation second snapdraggon has MORE THAN ENOUGH cpu power to run that 768mg of ram INTO THE GROUND..with room to spare as far as cpu processing ability and swapping the data into and out of the ram.

Upvote 0
Pretty much what I said. Go easy on him, not everyone has the geek running in their blood. Lol. Now, where's my pocket protector?

Shakes head...i know. If he is older i can understand..but if he is younger than me..NO EXCUSE.

The younger generation is supposed to be the more tech savvy...i dont see it...seems like every year high school graduates are LESS intelligent then they were the year before...it makes me sick.

Anyway, i expounded on the above a little with an edit.

By the way..i am by no means "intelligent" or "tech savvy"..im just an average dude...so thats my yard stick..if i am average..then...ummm.... what does that make...oh well never mind, i am done being mean.

Edit: Im 38. Class of "91"

Upvote 0
ok, i certainly know the difference between rom and ram but was unsure of the capabilities of the inspire with it's ROM. Technology is my life. Better be cause I get paid very well for it!

Android phones, not so much in my knowledge bank YET but I will know them inside and out before too long as I do the iphone with I have mastered and need a bit more of a challenge hence me going to the inspire in a few days. One question, if you install apps on the sd card, can you transfer them easily to a new larger sd card or do you have to reinstall them as you would a PC and a sep hard drive? Iphone didn't have sep cards as you all well know so don't know about it YET.

Thanks for your help! You guys are the most interactive droid forum I've came across so far. The other ones don't respond so I guess I've found a good home since I have no life other than my nerdy habits.

Upvote 0
Nice expansion, although, doesn't the inspire only have 4gb of hard drive space plus memory card?

Correct, i lumped the internal ROM in with the removable/replaceable ROM.

Depending on how it set up...they pretty much function at the same speed and purpose. Although some times a Gig or two of the built in is reserved for updates and therefore-inaccessible as storage.

As far as upgrading to a larger SD card, you can just reinstall all of your apps....or you can use a computer and an sd card adapter to quickly copy them over.

My advice.....copy over your media (such as pics videos etc)..but DO NOT COPY OVER APPS...just do a fresh install (likely to have much less problems that way).

One caveat here. Some times only the orginal 4G can be used to dl apps while the 8G or larger SD card will be where you put your media (mp3 music files/videos/pictures etc).

Not usually an issue as 4G is still PLENTY of room for the apps....and i could be wrong..some phones let you store/launch apps directly from the microsd card as well..

Someone smarter than i will have to chime in on that one.
Its not a royal PITA but it will take a little bit of time to do a change over (especially the first time).

Edit: worse case scenario...rooting usually allows you to store/launch apps from the SD card if the stock rom doesnt. (in addition to your music and movies etc.)

Hopefully someone familiar with HTC/android will chime in here.

Upvote 0
Seriously?

We learned that in 7th grade......in 1987!

What are they teaching in schools these days?

ROM-Read only memory
RAm Random Access Memory.

ROM=Internal storage
RAM= Info preloaded into fast access memory for quick read/writes usage so that the cpu does not have to sit idle while info is slowly searched for and pulled out of data storage.

For a better explanation do a search for each term.

Ok where do i even begin?

The Inspire has 12Gigs of ROM...so you can install all the 100mb apps you want. If you run out, you can simply upgrade to a larger Micro SD card (up to 32G of ROM)..which would give you a total of 36G of ROM.

it has 768mgs of RAM. Most windows XP machines only came with 128-256mgs of ram. 512 to 1G were considered "High end" on windows XP.

Windows Vista went from about 1G up to about 4G (but a 32 bit enviromnet cant support more than that really). so Win 7-64bit Bit can support even more. It can address up to 64G with a sweet spot around 8g of ram (thats what i run with)

Now...as i said...winxp had less ram than this phone had for the most part.

It is MORE than enough for the cpu to swap currently usage memory into and out of.

Just because an app is 100mb ROM DOES NOT MEAN it takes 100mb of RAM to run it.

Geeze!

The average video game now is several gigabytes in size but it they only require about 2-4G to run (and thats for HIGH END GAMES LIKE THE NEWEST CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS).

Size of the TOTAL APP has NOTHING TO DO with the amount of ram it needs to run.....90% - 98% of the program/app sits in ROM as storage.

Read/write time and I/O functions are one area where the dual cores will beat the single...BUT not until the software comes out to utilize the functions. The second generation second snapdraggon has MORE THAN ENOUGH cpu power to run that 768mg of ram INTO THE GROUND..with room to spare as far as cpu processing ability and swapping the data into and out of the ram.

I guess I should explain myself since you decided to shoot your mouth off....

First, I have built my own desktop PC and heavily moded all of my blackberrys, down to editing code. and my degree is in music. its clearly not that difficult.

in fact, i have mastered the google search, but I find it extremely easy to have you answer my questions which serves three purposes, which I will detail for you:

1. Answers questions that others have that they dont ask for whatever reason.

2. fosters the community by compiling information and opening dialog.

3. prevents erroneous information from entering my chain of thought. as in, if ROM is generally known as one thing, but in this community is used to refer to something totally different

So thanks for your response and achieving all three of my goals, old man ;)

Upvote 0
I guess I should explain myself since you decided to shoot your mouth off....

First, I have built my own desktop PC and heavily moded all of my blackberrys, down to editing code. and my degree is in music. its clearly not that difficult.

in fact, i have mastered the google search, but I find it extremely easy to have you answer my questions which serves three purposes, which I will detail for you:

1. Answers questions that others have that they dont ask for whatever reason.

2. fosters the community by compiling information and opening dialog.

3. prevents erroneous information from entering my chain of thought. as in, if ROM is generally known as one thing, but in this community is used to refer to something totally different

So thanks for your response and achieving all three of my goals, old man ;)

Number 3 is a good point. To my knowledge, a custom 'ROM" has nothing to do with Read only memory (except that its stored there..lol).

Its just a custom Operating system for the phone. To be more exact..its usually a modified operating system built on the stock or a stock from another device and backwards engineered to work on that device.

I have no clue how it got named "ROM" but i am sure someone here does?

Anyone?

guys lets chill were all friends here and all want this phone to be enjoyed lets help each other out not tear each other apart were not atrix guys lol

No offense was taken, he was more civil in his response then i deserved probably. lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones