1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Lag on the N4?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by QuadeCD, Jan 17, 2013.

1. QuadeCD

QuadeCD Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2013
    Male
    Hey guys!

I've got an annoying lag problem on my Nexus 4. At first when I got it (less than a month ago) it was absolutely lag-free and buttery smooth, the way it should be, but lately I started noticing lag here and there - while I scroll my contacts list for example, or when I flick through my home screens. It's driving me crazy! It only uses up to 500-550MB of ram at most and I don't have that many apps installed or running either. No antiviruses or task killers, just Apex launcher. It's a non-rooted stock Android. Is that normal? Should I do a reset? :(

Advertisement

2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    I've read that filling the storage (not RAM) can do that. I guess it's something to do with Android's paging or something.

If your free space is getting low, I would try freeing up say 2GB (= size of RAM), see if that makes any difference. If it helps, you could gradually add files back until you find the point at which the phone starts to slow down.

Like you, I've had my N4 for about a month, have few apps installed but my phone is really fast. I've never had less than 5GB of space free (mine's the 16GB model), though.

QuadeCD likes this.
  3. stevevercs

stevevercs Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 21, 2011
    I was experiencing lag as well, a quick google search said that if turn off background sync in the settings of the google currents app, it should eliminate the lag.........Well it did for me.
    May be worth a shot.

4. QuadeCD

QuadeCD Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2013
    Male
    Yeah, I've heard that too. Filling my last phone's internal storage used to cause serious lag, so I'm guessing that's probably it. I just deleted my music from the phone, freeing about 3 gigs and now I have 7.6 GB free memory. It's not as bad as before, but I can still see lag at places even after a restart... By the way, I have disabled Google Currents since day 1, because I don't use it at all, so I don't think it's causing the problem. :(

5. androidpod

androidpod Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 3, 2012
    West Coast
    Just a friendly reminder, a Nexus 4 like any other Android is essentially a hand held computer. As such its imperative one leaves some available memory free. Usage during operation is dynamic, therefore you need at least 15% or more free.

My SGS III is nearly a year old, has lots of rigorous usage, and hasn't slowed a bit. Its all a matter of not filling it with too many apps & user created content. Properly used & maintained, any of your Androids should remain fast & smooth.

Crashdamage likes this.
Tags: