• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Warzone303

Lurker
Dec 9, 2009
I've noticed my phone's been suffering from more and more lag. I haven't downloaded tons of apps or anything, in fact I think I only downloaded 4: Bloo, Zombie run!, google star map and Calvin and Hobbes.

Could it be from text messages? I've never cleared them out so they've been building up.

I've noticed my phone's been suffering from more and more lag. I haven't downloaded tons of apps or anything, in fact I think I only downloaded 4: Bloo, Zombie run!, google star map and Calvin and Hobbes.

Could it be from text messages? I've never cleared them out so they've been building up.

sounds possible

what's your awake time?

should make it a habit to clear your old texts just in case.

i do it all the time once my conversation is done in the trash it goes till the next time

Upvote 0
I have the Eris. Everything I say is the REALITY of things. How is it negative saying the FACT that the eris has a 2 year old outdated CPU which is the main cause for lag and slow rendering times. This is an absolute FACT.

This is the REALITY of the Eirs. It has slow performance becuase of the 2 year old CPU and old Arm11 CPU architecture. There is no debating this and if it sounds negative to you then thats tough, its still the reality of things...

Sorry folks. I dont know what else to say, there is nothing you can do about the lag of menu delays and slow rendering times.

In all honesty the Eris is NOT a "snappy" phone like the iphone or even iphone 3g which used a slower CPU.

On the eris menus do NOT respond instantly like on even the old iphone. Sure moving around home screens is fluid but thats about it. All menus simply do not respond instantly and there is a delay some (if not many) people will find annoying.

Anyone who disagrees has obviously never used an iphone so they dont how menus can respond instantly unlike on the Eris.

Its the main BEEF I have with my Eris, simple menus and GUIs do not respond instantly like on my Ipod touch and iphones. Its kind of a drag....

Upvote 0
I have the Eris. Everything I say is the REALITY of things. How is it negative saying the FACT that the eris has a 2 year old outdated CPU which is the main cause for lag and slow rendering times. This is an absolute FACT.

Its not negative to mention it once or twice ... but it is negative to dwell on it. Half your posts lately have been complaining about the CPU.

This is the REALITY of the Eirs. It has slow performance becuase of the 2 year old CPU and old Arm11 CPU architecture. There is no debating this and if it sounds negative to you then thats tough, its still the reality of things...

Honestly, I dont care how old the CPU is ... It could be 5 year old technology for all I care. I like the phone, and I like what it does ... thats good enough for me.

Sorry folks. I dont know what else to say, there is nothing you can do about the lag of menu delays and slow rendering times.

It takes less than a second for menus to pop up for the most part, not that big of a deal.

In all honesty the Eris is NOT a "snappy" phone like the iphone or even iphone 3g which used a slower CPU.

If the iPhone is so much better, drop the Eris and Verizon and move over to AT&T and get an iPhone. Personally, I dont care what the iPhone does, it doesnt effect the Eris one bit.

On the eris menus do NOT respond instantly like on even the old iphone. Sure moving around home screens is fluid but thats about it. All menus simply do not respond instantly and there is a delay some (if not many) people will find annoying.

Switch phones.

Anyone who disagrees has obviously never used an iphone so they dont how menus can respond instantly unlike on the Eris.

Nope, havent used an iPhone and never will. You seem to be stuck on the whole "two year old tech" ... so switch to a different phone.

Its the main BEEF I have with my Eris, simple menus and GUIs do not respond instantly like on my Ipod touch and iphones. Its kind of a drag....

There are some people that will NEVER be happy with a product, no matter what it does.

Upvote 0

It's negative because you constantly dwell on it.

No one is (or should be) debating the truth of what you say (unless it is false, but I take it for face value). But when you constantly harp on it, bring it up at every turn, and dwell on it over and over, you have to understand that people's reaction is going to be some version of "shut up" or "sell the damn thing and leave us alone".

You state that you don't know what to say, well, try saying something positive or if you can't come up with that, nothing at all?

Constant negative comments bring the forum down. And the manner in which you state them is also important. If someone asks why the phone is laggy, you can say "it's got an old processor, so it's laggy. You could try doing this and this to optomise it, but you're going to be dealing with such and such restriction". Instead, your posts come across as "this phone sucks, we're all a bunch of stupid suckers for buying it". No one wants to be told that they're an idiot.

I'm on a lot of other forums, mostly automotive. We don't constantly say, "crap, the technology on our cars is about 10 years old now, they SUCK, we're STUPID for not getting new BMW's". People realize that. Or if they don't, there's a better way to say it.

By the way, please don't take me to be a fanboy or an apologist. My phone has quite a bit of lag which gets worse when the cache gets full. I had Verizon extend my return grace period past my 30 day purchase date. This phone is getting returned, either for something else or another Eris. That's happening at the latest on Monday after the 12/11 OTA update. I love this phone but it has issues and I'm getting frustrated.

However, I'm not dwelling on it and belittling others for purchasing the same.

Upvote 0
Your phone is lagging because it uses an outdated CPU from 2 years ago.

The Eris is the last phone to be produced with the 2 year old qualcomm msm7600 chipset.

Sorry, there is nothing you can do about it.

i've always been under the impression that computer hardware and software have to work together to make something fast and efficient. i guess i've been wrong all these years :thinking: (sarcasm)

after all, these phones WILL NOT operate better if they have a completely optimized OS, as compared to an OS that is glitchy as all hell.

dude, seriously. calm down. every post i've read of yours over the past week has been the same song and dance. it's getting old. we all know, we've all read what you've had to say and the facts you've shared with us.

Upvote 0
yeah yeah yeah!
mine is snappy. i come from windows mobile 6.5 on an omnia with a 624mhz processor. my eris SMOKES IT!
you just have to better understand how to use this device.
im sure the update will make the OS do this for you, but until then, use a task killer, clear your cache and life will be good! :)

Upvote 0
yeah yeah yeah!
mine is snappy. i come from windows mobile 6.5 on an omnia with a 624mhz processor. my eris SMOKES IT!
you just have to better understand how to use this device.
im sure the update will make the OS do this for you, but until then, use a task killer, clear your cache and life will be good! :)

I use a task killer.
I use startup manager
I clear cache.

I still have lag:

Using the dialer
Switching to home screen.
Switching between screens.

I'm not talking about "oh, it takes 0.75 seconds instead of 0.25 seconds to switch screen". I'm talking lag as in:

Press the send button and nothing happens for 3 seconds.

You press home, and nothing happens for 3-4 seconds.

You try to swipe screens, and it's frozen.

You press home, and you get a black screen until you press home again.

You press home and get an HTC welcome screen while it re-loads the home screen.

You press letter keys and nothing happens for 1-2 seconds, then they all come out in a rush and the vibration sounds like it's ringing.

So clearly, either my phone is wacky or others are tolerant of this type of behavior.

Upvote 0

Dude, all you ever do is B&M. Its a phone, relax. :p

Upvote 0
I own an ipod touch. I've used an iphone extensively. There can ABSOLUTELY be issues with little glitch lags and such on those devices. I use my touch everyday, and sometimes itll stutter slightly, or waiting for an app to open will have a short delay. Onion is a troll. Yes, the Eris uses older hardware, we get it. It's not running brand new software that it can't keep up with, it's running an OS that was designed for its hardware. The fact is, no one here cares. They're just trying to figure out ways to optimize it the best they can. Sure, maybe it wont be perfect, but it can be improved in small ways that add up.

I think I speak for most of the intelligent people here when I say: Shut up, you're not adding anything productive to this forum.

Upvote 0
I'd return your phone and get a new one. Mine does not have any of the issues you describe. HTC Sense has never crashed on me and text input is on par with my gen 2 ipod touch. Nothing ever takes more than a second on my phone.

I use a task killer.
I use startup manager
I clear cache.

I still have lag:

Using the dialer
Switching to home screen.
Switching between screens.

I'm not talking about "oh, it takes 0.75 seconds instead of 0.25 seconds to switch screen". I'm talking lag as in:

Press the send button and nothing happens for 3 seconds.

You press home, and nothing happens for 3-4 seconds.

You try to swipe screens, and it's frozen.

You press home, and you get a black screen until you press home again.

You press home and get an HTC welcome screen while it re-loads the home screen.

You press letter keys and nothing happens for 1-2 seconds, then they all come out in a rush and the vibration sounds like it's ringing.

So clearly, either my phone is wacky or others are tolerant of this type of behavior.

Upvote 0
@onion- If this was the case how is it that i currently am using a computer that is over 3 years old with no problems? Just because it has an older computer chip doesnt mean its the main cause. People just need to realize that its a phone and that it will take some time if you have a bunch of apps running at the same time. If you hate the phone so much take it back.

Upvote 0
I own an ipod touch. I've used an iphone extensively. There can ABSOLUTELY be issues with little glitch lags and such on those devices. I use my touch everyday, and sometimes itll stutter slightly, or waiting for an app to open will have a short delay. Onion is a troll. Yes, the Eris uses older hardware, we get it. It's not running brand new software that it can't keep up with, it's running an OS that was designed for its hardware. The fact is, no one here cares. They're just trying to figure out ways to optimize it the best they can. Sure, maybe it wont be perfect, but it can be improved in small ways that add up.

I think I speak for most of the intelligent people here when I say: Shut up, you're not adding anything productive to this forum.

HAHAHAHA Good 1 :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones