1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General Lag time is killing me! Will 2.x update help?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mjsef, Jan 9, 2010.

1. mjsef

mjsef Member

Jan 9, 2010
    so I really do love this phone...form factor is great, enjoying android over my prior BB. Pretty happy with the interface and features. But the phone is slow...I am trying various adjustments suggested in this forum and seems to help some. Anyone heard whether 2.x update will help responsiveness?

Advertisement

2. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Student
    London
    I would think it is more responsive with bug fixes etc :)

3. bagged00

bagged00 Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    ive noticed alot of lag to...very agravating...between battery lag and battery life shit gets on my nerves.

4. Napster

Jan 7, 2010
    Sorry, the Eris uses a 2-year old CPU and chipset which is based on an even older low-end ARM11 architecture. There are no software updates or tweeks that will speed the phone up. No there is nothing you can do about it.

5. rdalev

rdalev Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    AMT
    Fayette, Ga.
    Yeah, they said the same thing about computers running Vista, slooooowwww, until the updates arrived ! Nice try though !

6. Napster

Jan 7, 2010
    The software has already been refined MANY times for performance MANY MANY months ago when the Sprint Hero was out. There is simply no more room for improvement. No there is nothing you can do about it.

7. hrbib21

hrbib21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Pro Desk Driver
    Myrtle Beach SC
    That is a completely wrong and misinformed statement. O/S updates can make a huge difference in performance.

BTW, shouldn't you be responding to the "I'm gonna sue HTC/VZW/Google" thread you started and then ran away from yesterday? We'd like to hear more about your litigation plans.

8. Napster

Jan 7, 2010
    My goodness did you even read what I said???

The Eris uses the same image as the Sprint Hero. The Hero has been out for LOOONG time now and it already has gotten all the performance updaes and tweeks it can possibly get. You simply cant squeeze out any more performance via software since its already been done to the max on this device.

9. hrbib21

hrbib21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Pro Desk Driver
    Myrtle Beach SC
    My goodness did you even read what I said???

The Hero is running the exact same version of Android as the Eris. Until it is running 2.XX, then you have no clue what the outcome will be since, as I very clearly stated, an OS update can improve performance.

10. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Male
    Jr. I.T. Support Tech @ Amazon
    Plainfield, Indiana

I agree with you on this, until 2.XX is out no one can say.

11. Evil Sports

Evil Sports Well-Known Member

If I didnt see how much of a difference a SW update made in the Storm then I would tend to agree with Napster. Time will tell.
    If the Eris still sucks after the 2.x I will just get a better phone, Its that simple.

12. Wolfedude88

Jan 3, 2010
    Male
    Plainfield, Indiana
    Yeah the 2.XX might not speed the phone up at all, but I am hoping it solves a few issues with the phone now which in turn makes it run a little smoother and faster. Only time will tell, cant wait.

13. gentlefury

gentlefury Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2009
    My gf and I both got the droid...she wanted the eris...I was like, give the droid a chance (she liked the eris design better), I knew the slowness of the eris would eventually make her crazy, even if at first she dug it.

She still has her droid and loves it.

14. Wolfedude88

Jan 3, 2010
    Male
    Plainfield, Indiana
    I really wanted to get the droid for speed wise, but I personally cannot get over how it looks. One of my bosses has it, and I admit the screen is beautiful but the phone itself looks bad to me. Also I had a G1 so I was wanting to try out the Sense UI anyways.

15. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Yeah...it's going to do things you wouldn't believe. Coffee will be ready for you in the morning, the paper will be at your feet, and your phone will be so fast that you will be sitting there with a look of confusion on your face as you try to decide whether you actually used the phone or if that was just a flash of your imagination.

It will be suite! I mean...sweet. :)

16. Wolfedude88

Jan 3, 2010
    Male
    Plainfield, Indiana
    Sweet, now I am pumped! lol

17. Tuxas

Tuxas Active Member

Jan 2, 2010
    When I upgraded my laptop to Windows 7 from Vista, my battery life went up and my benchmarks increased. The software is built to be more efficient and handle applications different. I would expect to see an improvement with the Eris, but some features of 2.x may need to be off on the Eris (Motion wallpaper comes to mind) to function smoothly this however doesn't degrade any of the programmatic improvements that are in 2.x.

18. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    California
    How is the processor in the HTC Droid Eris slow just because it's old? By 2 years old, do you mean it came out in 2008? Is the 22MHz speed difference between the Eris and the Droid a really big difference in speed?

19. Garick

Garick Active Member

Nov 22, 2009
    there is way more to it than just the clock speed, plus the droid has a dedicated gpu

20. Napster

Jan 7, 2010
    no it came out back in 2007 and is based similar to an ancient 486 design. The new CPU in the droid and iphone is like a Pentium III compared the the ancient 486 cpu design in the eris. The snapdragon 1ghz CPUs are 3-4 times as fast as the Eris

21. Napster

Jan 7, 2010
    Eris has dedicated hardware GPU as well so whats your point?

22. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    Really? Not just a long time or even a looong time, but a LOOONG time? I don't know how long you measure time in your reality, but in most people's measurements it hasn't been all that long. The Sprint Hero came out about a month before the Eris did and the original Hero came out in late July, which is only a little more than 2 months before Sprint. Long time? To a little kid maybe.

As for getting ALL the performance tweaks and updates possible, I don't think you have any idea what is possible for devices like this. As others have said, software can really change how a device functions. Until 2.1 is released and running on an Eris, none of us will really know.

You need to quit sharing your "wisdom" with others when you don't know what you are talking about.

23. smacky

Jan 11, 2010
    My mindset is that if there are more features in 2.x, then it couldn't possibly improve what's wrong now by adding more and having that work as well. Then again, I'm no expert so don't listen to me. Maybe I just had shitty experiences with other products I've owned. ;)

Still, the lag is aggravating, but I'm hoping 2.x has enough cool stuff that I can forget about it.

24. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    Most of the time a software update, like this one, comes with changes to the way the OS functions on a device and causes improved performance. This has been true for Android in the past and I don't see why it would be any different now.