• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lag while Typing?

Yeah, there's definitely lag when typing on my Gnex. I've noticed it in e-mail and Gtalk. On the forums, not so much because for some reason the phone doesn't seem to use auto-correct when in the browser (wish it did though even with the lag).

Hope it's fixed in a software update. Absolutely no reason the hardware can't keep up with typing, even with auto-correct turned on. They should prioritize input over dictionary lookup so it doesn't interfere with input, even if it means making auto-correct work a bit slower. It's definitely annoying to have to stop and wait every few secs to see if I spelled a word correctly or see if it even recognized the input from me.

Strangely enough; it doesn't seem to lag at all while in portrait mode. In landscape mode it does it every other word it seem.. :thinking:.

Totally stock/unrooted.

Upvote 0
Ok so i had the lag while typing on the keyboard in landscape. This is NOT the same kind of lag seen when typing in various forums using the browser in honeycomb, for one because it happens on the nexus in any application, and two it is not only in landscape in honeycomb. I have confirmed in my case that it is the keyboard, as I don't have any lag when using SwiftKey.

Also as was noted previously, turning off autocorrect gets rid of it on the nexus. That said, what I have found, i had to turn off the autocorrect in the main screen for language and keyboard, NOT the autocorrect under the actual settings specific for the android keyboard. I can leave that autocorrect enabled and be lag free and still have that autocorrect enabled and functional as well as pop up, sound (although I turn sound off anyway), and vibrate. I'm not sure why there are 2 different places for autocorrect, butthat is what has worked for me. I guess the main setting is global autocorrect to any keyboard while the one specifically under the android keyboard settings is of course only for that keyboard.

Edit: i should have typed spell check not autocorrect. You want to disable spell check to get rid of the lag.

Upvote 0
Also as was noted previously, turning off autocorrect gets rid of it on the nexus. That said, what I have found, i had to turn off the autocorrect in the main screen for language and keyboard, NOT the autocorrect under the actual settings specific for the android keyboard. I can leave that autocorrect enabled and be lag free and still have that autocorrect enabled and functional as well as pop up, sound (although I turn sound off anyway), and vibrate. I'm not sure why there are 2 different places for autocorrect, butthat is what has worked for me. I guess the main setting is global autocorrect to any keyboard while the one specifically under the android keyboard settings is of course only for that keyboard.

THIS!
I turned off autocorrect on the main Language and input page but left it on in the android keyboard setting page. No more lag no matter what I do and I still get the same great spell corrections.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Ok so i had the lag while typing on the keyboard in landscape. This is NOT the same kind of lag seen when typing in various forums using the browser in honeycomb, for one because it happens on the nexus in any application, and two it is not only in landscape in honeycomb. I have confirmed in my case that it is the keyboard, as I don't have any lag when using SwiftKey.

Awesome....worked for me as well.

Upvote 0
Thank you for posting this solution. It took a little time to figure out where the different settings were that you describe, but in the end my keyboard can keep up with me. Once again loving this phone (and this AF community)!

P.S. I see you decided on the Nexus over the Rezound. Did you post something outlining your thoughts on how the two devices compare? I was following your posts on the Rezound board thinking I might still jump to that hardware if it got S-OFF before 1/15, but the longer I play with the Nexus the more I think I can put up with its cons in order to enjoy all its pros. :D

Upvote 0
I had the Rezound for over a month but decided to go ahead and fire in on the Nexus. It was the phone I wanted from the start, but the Rezound was out, was appealing, and I needed a phone as my Droid was dead. The Rezound (Vigor) was also the phone I figured I would get all along, back in the summer when I knew my upgrade was coming and didn't know anything about Verizon getting a Nexus device.

I enjoyed the Rezound but I really just don't like Sense and I was worried it wouldn't get S-OFF. Now I'm on the Nexus and love everything aobut it, but I'm worried about the data connection, as my experience has been one such that Nexus doesn't hold the data connection as well as the Rezound. While I'll believe that the signal levels of the phone are on par with others, I don't believe there isn't an issue with it dropping data. I've experienced it. The Rezound holds 4G in places where the Nexus will not and sometimes the Nexus loses 3G data in locations where the Droid did not. I think the Nexus has some issues with handoffs between data networks.

I read the AnandTech article on this issue and I agree with the points made and have also done some of my own rough testing. I put the Nexus in 3G and compared to every Razr, Bionic, Charge, Rezound, Droid X2, and Droid 3 in the store and they all showed similar signal level readings in dBm and had similar data speeds. On LTE, the Nexus showed 20-30 dB lower signal reading, but still, the data speeds were the same. I did this before I bought the phone on Sunday and then again yesterday after reading the AnandTech article. The AnandTech article offers an explanation for this, which is simply that the other devices, when on LTE, still report the EvDO signal strength, hence the higher signal levels when looking at the signal strength.

Here's the link to my initial impressions on the Rezound versus the Nexus.
http://androidforums.com/htc-rezound/464146-did-anyone-switch-nexus.html#post3679905

Upvote 0
It depends on how the Nexus wakes up that day. Some days the landscape lag is not to be found. Others and lag (only in landscape) is bad.

When it was bad, i went into settings and closed a couple extra apps thas was running and the lag was gone. With 1GB of ram this shouldnt be a problem, especially with only a few apps running.

What I am beginning to think is with 3rd party apps enabled for download, that it may be possible that some apps I have are causing small issues with the phone. Like battery life and landscape lag to name.

BTW The phandroid app KILLS my batty life. Its constantly running in the background. Smh, anyone else feel the same? I always have to go to the web site inorder to post up here. Either that or just download and uninstall the app when i feel im going to post / lurk a lot.

Upvote 0
I had the Rezound for over a month but decided to go ahead and fire in on the Nexus. It was the phone I wanted from the start, but the Rezound was out, was appealing, and I needed a phone as my Droid was dead. The Rezound (Vigor) was also the phone I figured I would get all along, back in the summer when I knew my upgrade was coming and didn't know anything about Verizon getting a Nexus device.

I enjoyed the Rezound but I really just don't like Sense and I was worried it wouldn't get S-OFF. Now I'm on the Nexus and love everything aobut it, but I'm worried about the data connection, as my experience has been one such that Nexus doesn't hold the data connection as well as the Rezound. While I'll believe that the signal levels of the phone are on par with others, I don't believe there isn't an issue with it dropping data. I've experienced it. The Rezound holds 4G in places where the Nexus will not and sometimes the Nexus loses 3G data in locations where the Droid did not. I think the Nexus has some issues with handoffs between data networks.

I read the AnandTech article on this issue and I agree with the points made and have also done some of my own rough testing. I put the Nexus in 3G and compared to every Razr, Bionic, Charge, Rezound, Droid X2, and Droid 3 in the store and they all showed similar signal level readings in dBm and had similar data speeds. On LTE, the Nexus showed 20-30 dB lower signal reading, but still, the data speeds were the same. I did this before I bought the phone on Sunday and then again yesterday after reading the AnandTech article. The AnandTech article offers an explanation for this, which is simply that the other devices, when on LTE, still report the EvDO signal strength, hence the higher signal levels when looking at the signal strength.

Here's the link to my initial impressions on the Rezound versus the Nexus.
http://androidforums.com/htc-rezound/464146-did-anyone-switch-nexus.html#post3679905

So if it is infact getting the same reception but not displaying it correctly (is that what you were saying?) Then its likely that an update will easily fix that problem, being taht it is a software, not hardware problem. That would be really great news

Upvote 0
I can testify to this as well. In landscape, when I typed quickly and the messages were longer my keyboard would start to lag and stutter. (Default settings in effect)

I can also confirm the bug where you click a red underlined misspelled word, choose a correction, press the space bar to continue typing and the word reverts back to the misspelled word again.

I too was able to fix the lag issue thanks to disabling Spelling Correction within the Language & Input setting. I left the Auto Correction alone within the Android keyboard setting, as recommended. I will say however, doing so will disabled the red underlining as mentioned previously. Then again... if it doesn't work properly, does it matter?

Hope they come out with a fix soon so we can go back to standard settings.

Reactions: crankerchick
Upvote 0
I've had this happen, but not very often. in fact given the right conditions, I bet anything and everything will lag at some point...

If it is lagging often... say 10% or more of the time, then maybe there is a bigger issue...

I am using GO keyboard, and it has lagged... I just chock it up to the phone cpu/ram getting bogged down with background apps.

Upvote 0
i had this problem on droid x, except it was after a year of use. if you go into your apps, and select multi-touch keyboard, you can select "clear data". i don't think it actually deletes anything you'll actually notice. this temporarily fixes the problem, for me anyway. i looked at a previous post, and it does seem to be just fine if you turn off the vibrate on keypress. Maybe you can play with the length of the vibration, in milliseconds, not sure. hopefully a permanent fix will come soon. i like the auto correct functionality, for the most part. i shouldn't have to compromise that for quick texting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones