1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General LAG!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by admob, Jul 7, 2014.

1. admob

admob Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 6, 2010
    Just picked up the g3, it lags, stutters etc which is such a shame, just flicking thru the app tray skips?.. Is it just early software, or a byproduct. Of the screen. I have the uk 2gb of ram version.. Should i get. An exchange.. See if thats any better?

Advertisement

2. PrinceOfDorne

PrinceOfDorne Well-Known Member

May 11, 2013
    Male
    Lawyer
    Philippines
    Mine lags but not bothersome. It's been reported/noticed in every review I have read.

3. admob

admob Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 6, 2010
    tbh its annoying, a brand new device... u show it to folk, and its skipping... its like a device from 4 yrs ago trying to run software its not capable off... my ONE m7 was seamless... maybe a software update will cure it... i dont kno... ive read loads of reviews and cant say i read about any lag... but to get skipping in the app drawer is frankly embarrassing....
    the scrolling wallpaper doesnt help, moving all those pixels unneccessary... does anyone kno how to have a static background... i saw a tips video where they have a static button, but that must have been a foreign version because mine doesnt have it.. ive tried having the multi window with the same image, but you get the fading out and back in as it goes from one window to the next.... i desperately want it to be smooth as silk.. but is the screen too memory hogging for the 2gb???? of ram they have pityfully thrown in there??.. My memory app often says 70% of ram is used when its doing nothing. the screen is gorgeous but is it a step too far at this stage?

4. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    A few hundred mb are allocated for 1080p, so about twice that for Qhd.

5. Loqe

Loqe Lurker
    None

Jul 7, 2014
    Is this perhaps related to the 16Gb version because my 32gb with 3gb ram doesn't lag at all.

6. admob

admob Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 6, 2010
    Used the same pic on multi window, there's. Now zero lag on the home. Page,, still tho in the app drawer theres still a little bit,, a lit better. But not quite fixed...

7. Lorak

Lorak Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    ITS
    Also drop your animations if you haven't done so to .5 (or off if you don't need them). See if that helps.

8. pandacookie

pandacookie Panda-riffic!
    None

I have a hunch the 2 gig models do suffer a performance hit. Another gig could make all the difference in the world. In computers this is certainly true. Why not phones?

9. rushmore

None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Since almost 300mb is allocated for 1080p devices, close to 600mb of ram is probably allocated for Qhd. The space is used for video ram.

10. pandacookie

None

Right! I don't see why they even made a 2 gig model, all things considered. A 3 gig model is sufficient. The price cut to be had with lower specs simply isn't worth it.

11. rushmore

None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Similar issue with PCs that do not have dedicated video card (where the video ram is). That was a key reason the Nook HD was a laggy mess, since was a 1GB ram device with about a third allocated for video ram.

Sometimes companies just don't get it or care. A mix of both.

12. rdillz

rdillz Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Chicago
    Agreed. There's no way I'd get the 2GB version. Saw a video where an LG rep said "oh don't worry, it's been specially optimized to handle the 2GB of ram." I was thinking, yeah right buddy! You're going to piss a lot of people off misleading them like that. I don't care how they optimize it. The more ram, the better! That goes for any phone, especially running Android.

13. pandacookie

None

Luckily, T-Mobile sees it our way. They only have the three gig model. In white AND black. :)

14. Lorak

Lorak Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    ITS
    I'm not having any bad lag at all. Maybe a tiny micro stutter every once in a while. But nothing major. Now it's not quite M8 smooth, never saw my M8 stutter. But it's a lot better than the S5 I had.

15. Lorak

Lorak Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    ITS
    Oh, and only thing I've changed is I'm running it in ART and I changed all the animation to. 5

KOLIO likes this.
  16. Spewy

Spewy Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 31, 2010
    Male
    Manchester, England
    I know it won't suit everyone but I run Nova launcher and I am now lag free. I may return to the stock launcher if LG update their firmware but Nova is a very slick launcher.
    Now lag is fixed, all I need is for some battery improvement.

KOLIO likes this.
  17. rdillz

rdillz Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Chicago
    I'm not seeing any lag either. It's faster than my Note 3. And battery life has been just as solid. It's not getting warmer than any other phone I've used and I've really been pushing it. I'm really enjoying the size of the G3. Its a leap forward in smartphone design. Overall the G3 is is hard to beat right now.

zipred likes this.
  18. zipred

zipred Android Expert
    None

Oct 8, 2013
    California USA
    Thanks you've put me at ease with this report, especially referencing your Note 3 as I have one as well. I like it but for a few things like the mechanical home button.

The size of the G3 appeals as does it's on screen buttons which mirror my Nexus 5 and are my preferred layout. I remained concerned but won't let the somewhat average battery life be a deal breaker.

Just two millimeters thicker would allow for a more robust battery. I blame the "skinny phone syndrome" on Apple. Far too influential in the tech space they're obscenely obsessed with thinness. Everyone else follows...

19. rdillz

rdillz Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Chicago
    A few more things I've noticed.

It's miles ahead of the Note 3 as far as network speeds and the GPS locks instantly. Never seen anything close to this with the Note 3 on a mobile network or wifi.

[​IMG]

20. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Central TX
    Which carrier are you on?

21. rdillz

rdillz Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Chicago
    At&t. And at peak hours. Amazing!

22. rushmore

None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky

I will (if can make it to town) compare them this weekend (local VZW corporate manager is a friend who is letting me test the demo before store set-up). The Note 3 is significantly faster in benchmarks due to the 1080p verses Qhd. Perhaps you are using the always bloated Touch Wiz stock UI on the Note 3? Nova is butter smooth and so is the Note 3.

It will be interesting to see if I see the same thing. That said, the Note 3 is one of the fastest, smoothest Android devices I have used. No lag and plays games as good as expected with current chips. Ditto for web and Flash.

23. Lorak

Lorak Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    ITS
    So he isn't supposed to compare stock to stock? Not sure why you would compare a stock phone to a debloated phone runing a diffrent launcher.

Or are you going to debloat the G3 and install NOVA at the store to be fair in your comparison?

24. rushmore

None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Not debloated and not rooted. Just Nova. Wiz is a bloated UI mess and LGs UI is not. Point being the Note 3 would have to have issues not being smooth, especially considering significantly higher benchmarks than the G3.

The reviews so far though are the Korean models, so am curious if any improvements with the US 3GB model.

25. Lorak

Lorak Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    ITS
    Ok. Everyone has their own idea of what is acceptable and what is not.

I'm just saying I was prepared for the worse due to some reviews.

But this AT&T model, running ART with animation at. 5 is pretty damn smooth. (still using LG launcher).

Reviews panned the dim screen, the battery, and the heat.

Screen for me is plenty bright. Really looks great. Not going to lie, it does have a bit of text halo depending on font and background color.

Heat? It heated up during ART conversion (as expected). But other than that I haven't noticed it getting a lot warmer than any other phone during use.

Battery? Jury still out. Haven't had it long enough to say yet.

My biggest issue is that on most forums 90% of the people saying it sucks and trying to talk people out of trying one, have never used it.

It's just "I saw a bad review, so it sucks. Don't buy it."

I am really prepared to return it in 14 days. But thus far it is a keeper for me.

LG G3

The LG G3 was the 2014 flagship device for LG, and was one of the first smartphones on the market with a 5.5-inch 2560 x 1440 display. It featured a Snapdragon 801 processor, 2GB or 3GB of RAM, 16GB or 32GB of internal storage, a microSD card slot, and a 13MP.
Tags: