1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support laggy desire s

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by groggy, Sep 19, 2011.

1. groggy

groggy Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Manchester
    My desire s has suddenly become very laggy. The keyboard , scrolling internet pages , my app pages etc..any ideas?

Advertisement

2. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    Try a soft reset. Power down phone > Remove battery for 30 seconds > Replace battery and power on. This will clear the phone's cache, in case that's causing the problem.

If that doesn't work, then look at your apps and see if any are hogging your processes. If you have a task killer, that's a likely suspect. The same goes for any launchers or alternative UIs you may have installed.

Also check that your phone is syncing properly with any accounts you have set up to sync with.

groggy likes this.
  3. groggy

groggy Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Manchester
    ok i will go through them 1 by 1.
    i do a soft reset a few times a day as i cant have my phone on at work so it gets turned off and on in my breaks.

i uninstalled my task killer under previous advice about battery life.

how do i check my apps processes?

what do you mean by launchers or UIs?

and also how do i check they are syncing? they seem to be.

cheers

4. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    A soft reset is different from turning the phone on/off. It involves physically disconnecting the battery from the phone. It's akin to pushing a paperclip wire into the 'reset hole' of small electronic devices. Try this if you haven't already.

Launchers and alternative UIs are apps designed to make your phone's screen look and behave differently to the stock verion, e.g. GO Launcher or custom skins. Usually, these won't cause any issues, but sometimes they can slow things down or cause other problems.

Try an app like 'Watchdog Task Manager' from Android Market to monitor what's going on with your phone's system. If you recognise an app you've installed as hogging your phone, then try uninstalling it and seeing if that makes a difference. You're looking for an app that's possibly using a lot of memory and/or using a lot of the CPU compared to others. However, some apps legitimately use a lot of resources when they're used. You shouldn't really need to play around with apps and process that are native to your phone, e.g. Google & Android OS. Be careful with deleting apps or clearing data, as you may lose data you rely on. Back-up your data first.

To check things are syncing properly, Menu > Settings > Accounts & sync > Under Manage accounts, you'll see all the accounts you sync. If you have Auto-sync on, then the sync icon to the right of each account should be green, which means there's no problem. If it's red, then something isn't syncing right. (If it's grey, it means you don't have that particular account set to auto-sync.) Select an individual account to investigate further if it's red.

Finally, in case your phone's ROM is filling up with apps, try moving some to your SD card. Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications > (Downloaded) Select an app > Move to SD card (if available).

5. groggy

groggy Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Manchester
    cheers notebook some great advice there.
    thank you

Tags: