• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Laggy Hero

kac

Dec 27, 2009
Edinburgh
Hi folks

I noticed that my Hero (Orange UK, non-modded) has recently become very laggy, particularly when making or trying to pick up calls, in Handcent and generally coming out of apps. I don't use an app killer and have very little going on in the background. Any suggestion as to what the problem may be, or solutions?

Slightly related; on my better-half's Tattoo I stumbled across a stock function that shows how much of the battery is being used by the phones various background activities. Is there anything similar for the Hero?

Thanks in advance!

kac

Cheers

How many text mesages do you have stored?

Not many, about 150... Would this cause the phone to slow down when I'm receiving a call though?

If you are using the 1.73 build of the firmware then it will be laggy. Go to the HTC web site to download a later version (build 2.73) that will be a lot faster.

Android 2.1 should be out in the next couple of weeks for the Hero. This will be even quicker and add new features.

I'm on 2.73, have been since I got the phone - the lagging is a fairly recent development.

Re: 2.1, I'm not holding my breath...

Upvote 0
What's a power cycle?

Cheers

kac
:D
NewHi-PowerCycle.jpg

Reactions: kac
Upvote 0
If you want to clean or get rid of things on your phone such as cache. I have this paid app called "Quick app clean cache" Very handy as it sorts your apps on how much cache you got for that particular app and in one click, you can remove its cache. You should also clear your call history.

Hope that helps

Aw man, thank you so much. I was about to throw this damn phone at the wall. I knew it wasn't this slow when I got it. Well worth the 68 cents.

Upvote 0
Just FYI, "power cycle" is a well-established term in IT field.

I don't work in IT...

I'd add to to that and recommend pulling the battery out - count to 20, then put it back in.

Tell us if it affects performance for you.

I did a bit of everything suggested. The phone's not so laggy anymore. Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions.

kac

Upvote 0
I still can't get mine from being laggy. As a matter of fact, it is super laggy lately and it is very frustrating. I am at my wits end and really have been rethinking my recent move from AT&T. I've tried everything mentioned, but to still no avail. If someone could help, I would be eternally grateful! And I am not hero savvy, so if I have to do certain things to the phones memory, please be as specific as possible!

Thank you!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones