1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Lamest Story Ever Told

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by xxnitsuaxx, Jun 22, 2011.

1. xxnitsuaxx

xxnitsuaxx Newbie
    None

Nov 22, 2010
    Gather around the campfire and I'll tell you a story.

A guy named Austin rooted his Epic so he could tether it and get rid of bloatware. He felt pretty savvy and hasn't done anything else to it since.

He's thinking about flashing a ROM so he downloaded ROM Manager. ROM Manager tells him there's no ClockworkRecovery Mod for his Epic. He doesn't think that's right but he's tired of staring at his computer. It's summer in Utah and he wants to be out climbing.

So instead he decides to just update his phone. He has firmware version 2.1-update 1. He doesn't know if that's good or bad. He knows that Android developers were denied sweets as kids and so they compensate by naming all of their creations ridiculous things like Tootsie Roll.

Even 30 minutes of reading through forums doesn't tell Austin if 2.1 is good so he wants to have his phone check for updates. He just needs to know if his rooted phone can update firmware, profile, PRL, and Android without turning into a worthless piece of equipment. He's posting this on a forum in the hopes that he will be able to understand the responses. He doesn't speak technology very well.

To sum up - is there really no ClockworkRecovery Mod for his Epic or is he doing something wrong? Can he try to update his phone? Will he throw his phone from the top of a cliff and go back to his CB radio?

Hope you enjoyed my story.

Advertisement

2. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert
    None

May 22, 2010
    Shenandoah Jct WV
    Hi Austin, welcome to the Android forums. There definitely is a clockworkmod recovery (current clockworkmod version is 3.1.0.1, the last CWM version with a one click root was version 3.0.2.5) for the Epic 4G... and there's a bunch of how to videos in the link in my sig.

You can also check out this section on XDA developers for a ton of development information. Make sure you read everything and follow the instructions exactly so you don't mess anything up :) If you have questions, definitely post them and ask.

Current Android version that was officially released to us was EC05 (Android 2.2), so make sure you look for ROM's based on EC05 if you decide to flash a ROM.

3. NightAce83

NightAce83 Member
    None

May 4, 2011
    Just a side note I noticed you mentioned you might go with a custom ROM and the newer CWMs are set up for both ext4 and rfs file systems so you should have no problems with whatever ROM you decide on because believe me the selection is plentiful and there are advantages to many of them. I personally suggest you check out Syndicate Frozen Rom. No matter what you choose I hope all goes well and you find what your looking for and just a suggestion if your more of a visual kind of learner look for the sticky at the top of the "all things root" thread and see qbking77's many many videos with step by step directions thyre a life saver for those new to rooting like I was (and kind of still am). Or you can just go t youtube and search "qbking77" and his videos should come up......GOOD LUCK!!!

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    On a quick note, don't use ROM manager, it doesn't work right with the Epic.

... I think the other guys summed it up pretty well. :)

5. duratime

duratime Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 2, 2010
    Cali
    One other thing. I bricked my phone on Wednesday trying to flash a newer version of CWM. I followed the steps on the XDA site on how to fix a brick (on the Epic Development section) and was able to fix my phone completely in less than an hour. Point of my story, don't freak out if you mess something up, take a breath, and follow the instructions and good luck.