1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

LAN fails when connected to a VPN server.

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by pingaan, Feb 12, 2016.

1. pingaan

pingaan Lurker

Hi,

I've been holding back this question ever since Kitkat (4.4) hit the phones.
    How come it's not possible to connect to any devices within any lan when connected to a VPN service? It worked fine pre-kitkat. I've been holding back on upgrading for long while now but I couldn't resist any longer.
    I've noticed that it's possible to WoL (wake on lan) though. Why is that? Is there a way to work out being connected to a VPN service and still discover other devices on the current LAN?

Best regards.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mowe13

mowe13 Newbie

Oh interesting for me this one . Have you had any luck yet ? From what you say pre 4.4 may be the key to my tether issue. Maybe rooting is the way for you to modify a rom and remedy the issue

3. pingaan

pingaan Lurker

4. mowe13

mowe13 Newbie

Tried an old sg3 with 4.3 android on and I could tether my fire stick and use you tube and mobdro. But still not kodi . Not 100 %but I think your onto something buddie

#4 mowe13, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  5. mowe13

mowe13 Newbie

I did find a way to tether .but by the time it had jumped through all the hoops it was a weak ass signal with no range at all

6. mowe13

mowe13 Newbie

Well I am happy with my solution so far . Seeing it is unrooted as well :) download a wifi client to the laptop . Then pdanet+ on the mobile also a vpn on the mobile . Connect via usb and bingo 4-8Mbps on my amazon fire stick. Running spinz tv in kodi [emoji41]. Although it's not graceful,it works hahaha lol I beat you three network [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]