• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

landscape keyboard that doesn't take up entire screen?

Adamx

Android Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2010
www.thotlog.com
Is there an app to get a landscape virtual keyboard that is shorter? The text box above the kb is strangely huge and some if not all of that space should just show the page you are entering the text into.

If it's ebuddy, it should show one line of text and let you see the last message sent to you. If it's on a web page, then omit the text box entirely, we can read what we are typing into the boxes on the page last I checked.

Anyone know of anything? It's a major annoyance for me.

Landscape keyboard does completely replace the UI, that's standard OS behaviour -- and possibly my biggest disappointment with Android itself, because this was not obvious from all the reviews until I actually held my then-new phone for the first time. :(

Your praise for Ultra Keyboard is based on portrait-mode, then, yes? I don't know it (and don't much care to), I'm just trying to be clear on this point.

Upvote 0
No, actually you can configure ultra keyboard to only take up about 3/5 the screen and show what's behind it in landscape mode, it takes a little tinkering though. Gotta hide the toolbar to free up real estate, and there's a setting that controls whether or not it is in fullscreen in it's settings.

It still has some issues. Like you still run out of space in certain apps like gmail and google voice (texting), so you can't see much at all, due to those apps' ui elements snapping to the top of the keyboard. I've emailed the app creator to see if there's anything that can be done about it.

You can also adjust the height of the keys. I'm trying -5, that seems to let me at least view what I'm typing to make corrections in the meantime.

I'm hoping the devs can improve upon the non-fullscreen operation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones