• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Laptop Dock questions

lacoste_rocker

Oct 26, 2010
ATL
Okay I am thinking about getting the dock; I think it is pretty neat and I wouldn't mind buying it. I have a nice laptop so I wouldn't be using it as my main computer. I just have a few questions about it.
1. Is purchasing a refurbished one from AT&T a bad idea? I mean they are only $188.31 after shipping.
2. Also do I need a tethering plan? I only plan on using it with wifi because I am ALWAYS around wifi.
Really those two are the only questions I have right now. Other than what are you personal opinions on this dock? I would like to hear from people who actually own them and not. "Oh I think it is so stupid; It's not a real laptop."
I know it's not, it is just a phone with a laptop dock I don't expect it to out preform my MacBook Pro. I just think it would be a neat device to own.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Okay I am thinking about getting the dock; I think it is pretty neat and I wouldn't mind buying it. I have a nice laptop so I wouldn't be using it as my main computer. I just have a few questions about it.
1. Is purchasing a refurbished one from AT&T a bad idea? I mean they are only $188.31 after shipping.
2. Also do I need a tethering plan? I only plan on using it with wifi because I am ALWAYS around wifi.

Just dealt with this same question today. Well actually for a long time I've been thinking about it and I've decided to go ahead and get one. The price is pretty good and I don't like lugging my laptop all over the place when everything I need is on my phone. I can display slides on my phone but the screen is too small for my clients to see. I can edit word files on my phone but it only works for quick edits and with such a small screen it is kind of clunky. I can edit excel sheets but the same applies.

Spoke to ATT rep yesterday and you don't need the tethering plan if you don't connect to data OTA. If you only connect via wifi you will be fine.

I explained to the rep that I have unlimited data on my phone and if all I wanted was to check email I can do that on my phone. I just need a little more room to move around in my phone.

Upvote 0
Went in and played with the dock at att store. I have to say that it's a little clunky to use. Tried just surfing with the mobile browser but it kept defaulting to the firefox browser. Use of the firefox browser is how they track your tethering time. (checked this with att rep)
While I was talking to the att rep she said that in order to buy the dock you MUST get the 4gig tethering plan. I explained that at 175 for the dock plus 45 a month for the tethering plan I could just get a small notebook to take around with me and it would have all the functionality I need and I wouldn't have to put up with using mobile apps instead of my normal comp apps.

After much consideration I have decided not to get the lapdock at this time. Mostly due to the tethering requirement. Maybe someone that has a lapdock and no tethering plan can chime in here.

Upvote 0
While I was talking to the att rep she said that in order to buy the dock you MUST get the 4gig tethering plan..

Well, she fed you a complete line of b.s. You don't need to get the tethering plan, you can just use the lapdock thru wifi, and when I want to use the brower thru the phone I don't have any conflicts with the Firefox. Just picked up a blue tooth mouse which makes the whole experience a lot smoother, rather than rely on just the touchpad which can seem a bit clunky at times.

Upvote 0
Lacoste. I don't know what to tell you about Citrix but I can speak on the refurbished lapdock. I got one. It was in flawless condition with first-rate packaging. I think the $175 refurb price is definately worth it. I love it.

As far as tethering goes - when using with wi-fi, which is how I use it exclusively, there are no tethering charges - even when using Firefox. I personally enjoy using Firefox in lieu of the mobile browser because it's much more interactive.

I too have a very nice laptop setup and did not buy the lapdock expecting that it would be a replacement for it. To me, it's just a cool device and is definately worth the extra few dollars.

Bracchus

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones