• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Laptop DVD-r Drive suddenly stopped working,

Spec-Kie

Jan 17, 2013
North East UK.
As the title says guys, Its a Samsung R519, And its done me well for the past 3 years or so, And i still use it to mess about on, And the kids use it for dvds and stuff, Thing is the ODD has just suddenly stopped working, When i power up the laptop it flashes for a milli second green and then just doesnt work at all, tryed reinstalling the drivers but i think that it is a Power issue, Hunted the net high and low and cant not find an answer, Might just have to change the drive?. Is this kind of thing common ?.

This wasn't the laptop that got stood on was it, by your two year old? Could have squashed the drive, or it's just died of natural causes. It's probably fairly easy to replace it, however a replacement drive would more than likely be specific to Samsung and that series of laptops. Ebay can be a good place to look, where people have broken-up laptops for spares. Have you tried cleaning the pick-up lens? From experience 2-4 years is about right for optical drives, before they crap out and give trouble.

Reactions: Spec-Kie
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones