1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support (Large) Voice enabled tablets

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by AndersAnd, Mar 30, 2016.

1. AndersAnd

AndersAnd Lurker
    None

Mar 30, 2016
    Hi Guys,

I am seeking high and low for large, VOICE CALL ENABLED, Android tablets.

I have a 7" Huawei MediaPad X2 already, and it does voice calls (great device btw).

But I need something bigger, preferably 10" or even larger.

To my surprise I learned that friend's Samsung SM-T555 is voice enabled (not hacked in any way).

But when looking online that feature is not mentioned. I generally find it hard to find some proper lists of Android tablets that are voice enabled on the web. One gets the impression that this feature is enabled on some markets and enabled on other.

Pls share suggestions. I am (primarily) looking for high quality devices form well known manufacturers such as Samsung, Huawei, LG, etc.

Warm Regards,

AndersAnd

PS. Pls don't tell me to just use Skype or Google voice, etc. Not relevant in this context. Pairing with smartphone via Bluetooth also not what I am looking for.

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

Samsung 3G tablets of whatever are voice enabled without any hacks out of the box. That's the way they are everywhere except maybe the US and UK. Just pop a sim in and use the phone app to call.

This only becomes an issue in thr prior said markets because carriers like to disable the voice calling of said tablets. Maybe because they think people wont buy phones if their tablets can call or something.

3. AndersAnd

AndersAnd Lurker
    None

Mar 30, 2016
    Sorry for my ignorance, but I thought it was only specific "International" models - e.g. the SM-T561 - is supposed to be voice enabled whereas the otherwise identical SM-T560 is not.

What model of Samsung Galaxy 12.2 (or roughly similar size) should I go for to get voice? I would prefer to buy a very recent model.

Where does one find out with certainty if a specific model is voice enabled? Looking at Samsung's webpage does not state this clearly, as far as I can see.

I must say that I find this device stunting ad carrier imposed limitation quite annoying.

Best,

AA

4. AndersAnd

AndersAnd Lurker
    None

Mar 30, 2016
    An extra question: Is there any realistic way of making a Pixel C do voice calls?

AA

#4 AndersAnd, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

1. International models usually have 2 versions: a network enabled model, and a WiFi only model. That's what those two models you mentioned are. GSMArena's database usually notes which models have 3G (hence voice calls) enabled.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_e_9_6-7295.php

2. Samsung never released another 12.2 inch size device since 2014's Tab Pro 12.2 and Note 12.2. The biggest tablet with voice you can get that's fairly recent is last year's Tab S 10.1, as this year's bigger Tab S2 is 9.7inches.

3. No. A Pixel 3 cannot be used for voice calls. There's no antenna on it to connect to a cellular network. Only internet calls can be done.